PDA

View Full Version : Do you like being cabin crew?

Tart with the cart
3rd Sep 2002, 14:04
I wish I worked for a decent airline-like a scheduled airline - BA or Virgin.

The pay at my airline isn't that great and some of the other cabin crew are bitchy and look down on junior crew! Somedays I love my job-if I have a nice crew. Other days I dislike it.

The pax are mostly ok. The uniform is tacky polyester! I used to imagine gliding through the airport in a beautiful uniform but no! I stumble through in my 3-inch heels dragging the battered roll-a-board behind me.

On layovers I never stay in decent hotels either.

This may seem like one long moan but I just want to warn wannabes that they should apply to a decent airline! Have a back-up plan. Go to uni BEFORE joining so if you hate it you have a way out.

Flashing Mac
3rd Sep 2002, 17:58
Do you like being cabin crew? NO

Do I work for a decent Airline? NO

Have I worked for a decent Airline? YES

Did I enjoy working for a decent Airline? NO

Have I ever enjoyed being cabin crew? - YES

Would I reccomend this job to anyone? NO - not even my worst enemy.

Will I get a job another job as soon as possible? YES - in the process of getting a decent job now.

MinimumRest
3rd Sep 2002, 18:52
I had a love/hate relationship with the job, mainly hating it while on duty, but thinking I loved it when I was laid off for 6 months in the winter. I then moved to a 'decent' airline, and sadly the love bit went totally out of the window. I still have happy memories when I look back a photos taken on long haul, in the galley, etc, but then I remember that these were exceptionally good times, or else the camera wouldn't have been out in the first place!

The problem is that you get used to having blocks of days off in the week, ok money, not paying for parking, etc, and I have many friends who have flown for years who would love to leave, but don't know what else they would do now. I stopped flying early this year and on the whole have never regretted my decision to leave.

Managed to get into ATC, start next July - my training is 18 months long, and I thought 6 weeks was bad enough at my old airline, so spare me a thought!

MR XxX :p

Tart with the cart
5th Sep 2002, 14:05
what do the rest of you cabin crew think about your jobs?

xr4x4
5th Sep 2002, 14:29
love flying nuff said!

flapsforty
5th Sep 2002, 16:36
TWC since I saw it 2 days ago, I've been thinking about a serious answer to your question that would not become a very loooooong and even more boooooooring post.
I can't do it.
But here's the gist of it.
Management sucks worse every year.
Rostering skirts the factually criminal ever closer.
On-board work has been getting better & more enjoyable for the past 21 years.

Brown eyes
5th Sep 2002, 18:55
Yes i like my job. It is tiring but it is worth it when pax get off saying they loved the flight.

nojacketsrequired
6th Sep 2002, 08:27
Best job in the world for 95% of the time ,the other 5% always makes for the best stories!!!!!!.

Great job and I would'nt do anything else.

NJR.:D :D :D :D

tyra
6th Sep 2002, 12:44
This is the best job in the world..There is no way I would go back to 9 - 5, stuck in an office, getting stuck in peak hour traffic, buying or making my own lunch, paying full fare, buying my own work clothes etc etc etc... If you dont love what your doing, get out before you become bitter and let someone else who is keen, have your job. The day I stop loving flying, I will leave and let the next generation of fliers have a go!

MR WIBBLE
6th Sep 2002, 15:29
The Job itself is as it is sold to you "Flying is not a job it is more a way of life"

A lifestyle that you become accustomed to. It is enjoyabe when you get a good or even an average crew but when you get a bad crew then thats when it crosses in to becoming unbearable. Still that said you fly with the good crews more often than not.

As with all jobs though you have you're good and bad days at work. The most memorable flights are the ones when the passenger gets off the plane and has been really nice to you as crew and understands that you are a person with feelings. In this day and age it is becoming more and more common for a passenger to come on board and do nothing but moan because they think they can get away with it, don't get me wrong, I will do all I can to help and assist a passenger but "The Moaners" are now outnumbering "The Nice Ones".

Where else can you work that you get paid to see the world, and have a laughat the same time.

In answer to you question though, Yes I do like my job and probably the only reason I would give it up is to sit at the front of the plane.

GalleyWench
6th Sep 2002, 18:01
I suppose I love my job like I love my family- sometimes in spite of themselves. The job is ever changing so if there is a trip/colleague/passenger/pilot that is making my day unpleasent they will NOT be there the next trip. :) I do work for a major carrier and am senior enough that my view may be different from a junior colleague. I would not want to do anything else yet am realistic enough to have completed a university degree and do keep my diving instructor qualifications current if my employer goes out of business.

aviatorgirl72
6th Sep 2002, 21:31
The pluses far outweigh the minuses.

I do love the job, and I love to be part of an everchanging team of people.

No day is ever the same, and you meet some great people, and develop some great skills along the way.

Passengers are fine, yes, there are some ******s but you will get that in any job.

But I do ofter think I dont want to be doing this job when I'm 40, and how long can you do it for?:eek:

Shadowpurser
7th Sep 2002, 10:38
When people ask me what it's like there's always one phrase that sums it up for me.

BEATS WORKING FOR A LIVING!!!!:cool:

TightSlot
7th Sep 2002, 13:26
Great Job, the only way to make a living! Pax are by and large a pleasant group of people - a majority want to be pleasant, and respond accordingly if you are to them. Small minority are vile, but we get to chuck them off after a coupla hours, and then forget about them forever.

Most Crew are good value, common sense, capable folk - small number are twats, but they rarely last too long in the job. I'm always impressed by the fact that we have 21 year olds dealing with situations and events that would make other, older heads spin.

The real evil in the industry lies with the various levels of management, regardless of carrier: There seems to be something in the business that attracts the incompetent and then draws out their poorest qualities. It always amazes me how many people that don't fly on the aircraft regularly, or even at all, consider themselves expert enough on the process to pass judgement - Still, I don't suppose it will ever change.

"Sigh" - At least, with doors closed, you can leave them behind in their little offices, and you know you are safe from stupidity for just a few hours, until you open up back home again

Mirrorkid
7th Sep 2002, 20:47
Luv the job still, and have a laugh on nearly every flight, and an even better time down route. To put it into perspective, in a 9-5 job, if you had a clash of personality with a colleague, you would have to put up with them every day. In our chosen career, we have the peace of mind knowing that if we don't get on too well with someone (passenger or crew), it might be months before we fly with them again (if at all)!!!

It's a great way of life, and I can't thiink of anything I'd rather be doing. Let the good times roll!!!

;) ;) ;)

Tart with the cart
8th Sep 2002, 14:25
Nice to hear other crewmembers thoughts!

I think for the time being I'll stay. I can't imagine what else I would do! Hopefully I'll then move onto to a larger airline with better benefits and pay. (and funky uniforms ;) )

flyblue
11th Sep 2002, 21:13
:D Tightslot!

Tart, I think moving into a better airline is the right thing to do. I did the same the day I realised I didn't feel motivated any more, and it worked.

flapsforty
12th Sep 2002, 08:26
TightSlot, deadly accurate!

Darren999
17th Sep 2002, 12:00
Hi All,

It was nice to read all your points about your job. I had a friend who was a Police Officer, who took a carerr break to become Cabin Staff, and loved it. Well I was wondering if you know any company that will let me be a trolley dolly for a day. I'm currently a Fire fighter in London. Also where can I find a nice single air hosty, they all seem to be married!
Anyway great page, keep it coming.

Stop the bus and let my brother Jack off