PDA

View Full Version : First ever solo!!

soloboy
3rd Sep 2002, 12:58
Hi anyone who reads this!
I've just been given the words all student PPL's love/hate to hear..."You're ready for solo"! The truth is, I'm having canaries about the prospect. It's kinda like driving on your own for the first time, but with that added 3rd dimension thrown in for good measure!
Can anyone give me any reassuring anecdotes to calm me down a bit. The momentus occasion is due for this weekend!

Thanks

soloboy

Field In Sight
3rd Sep 2002, 13:13
When I solo'd I did my pre-take off checks about 3 times just to be sure.

You will be surprised how it all of a sudden "comes together" when you don't have the safety net of the instructor next to you.

The aircraft will perform a lot better without an instructor and before you know it, it will be all over (the solo and not your life ;) )

For me the solo was probably the best part of the PPL training and I still enjoy looking back at it.

Enjoy,
FIS

PS. The solo QXC was also a great experience as I managed to get back without killing myself or others :D

hasell
3rd Sep 2002, 17:29
Just have a bit of positive mental attitude... remember the instructor would NEVER send you solo unless he/she thought that
you are a capable pilot.
Good luck... and enjoy it! :)

CAT3C AUTOLAND
3rd Sep 2002, 18:15
You will be fine, Hasell has hit the nail on the head, your instructor will know a lot more about your capabilities than you do, just dont do anything stupid like landing with a 20 kt tailwind :D

I remember my first solo, did my checks, did them again and again and again, then talked to myself all the way round.

I was out in the states hour building not so long ago, and I heard a quivering voice come over the radio to quest clearance for departure, the controller knowing full well it was this guys first solo came over the radio and said,

'N942AC just a walk in the park, wind 060 at 5 runway 05, clear for take off make right traffic'

Typical american ATC but sounded very cool, or I thought so anyway :)

Good luck mate.

HelenD
3rd Sep 2002, 18:54
I wouldnt worry about it. A few months back I kept being told there is no point in you comming in because we cant send you solo today because of the weather. Though I have since gone solo many months after those words I still have yet to go solo at my real home airfield. My point is that just because they say you are ready dosent mean they will send you solo.

Doudou
3rd Sep 2002, 21:22
No worries ! Just do it! Like told upper, if your instructor send you, it's because you're ready! He has as much stress as you have (mine was more worried than I was, but...). You will see how good you will do, because there is nobody to correct you, you gonna be more focused, more precise... just do the procedures, it's not the day to make any improvisation.
Have fun!

P.Pilcher
4th Sep 2002, 07:26
Pity you were told. It probably means that for your next two lessons, when the weather is good enough, you won't get sent - but you never know! Anyway it will do no harm and maybe make you an even better pilot. Remember that you only get that first solo experience twice in an aviation career. The second time? The first first solo you send when you qualify as an instructor!

all the best

Gavin Sweet
4th Sep 2002, 08:29
I did my PPL training in the States. On my pre solo flight my instructor said, "Give me a good circuit and you can go solo."

Well, on the take off, something on seat lock gave way and since I had just rotated, my seat went right to the back and as I had my hand on the controls so the aircraft pitched up towards a power on stall. Thankfully, my instructor was next to me and took control.

We landed, the seat got fixed and I did not go solo for another hour or so. However, I learnt an important lesson there and when I did go solo, it was fantastic.

kopbhoy2
4th Sep 2002, 08:34
I thought I'd never go solo - I seemed to be doing really well in the circuit at first, then my landings were awful, and when I got those sorted the rest of my circuit was terrible!

But the big day did arrve, pretty much without warning! What I do remember most is just after take off I looked at the altimeter, noticed it had just gone past 100' QFE and I thought 'well I've got to get this thing back home don't I?!'.

It was fine, you'll enjoy, don't worry about it too much, it is a massive compliment to your flying skills that they will let you go solo.

Best of luck! :)

Bumfichh
4th Sep 2002, 10:07
I think that you have probaly by now seen that the general opinion is go for it!! I remember my first solo as one of the best experiances of my life just remember your training and sure enough you will be sat back on the runway with a grin from ear to ear, One thing i would say is watch the performance of the aeroplane without the extra weight of the instructer it caught me out and i flew a circuit of 1400 feet but made good with a superb landing.
GOOD LUCK and let us know how it goes!!!

buzzc152
4th Sep 2002, 12:08
Good luck buddy. You'll find the aircraft will out climb a space shuttle with no instuctor in it.

Everyone is a little nervous on their first solo. Enjoy it. You'll be comfortable flying solo in no time. The kick you get from your first cross country solo will be much better (was for me anyway.... I felt like break dancing on the runway).

G SXTY
4th Sep 2002, 12:10
It’s already been said, but it does no harm to repeat it – there is no way an instructor would send you off on your own unless they thought you were ready. I also think it’s a pity you’ve been forewarned – mine was sprung on me after an hour of dual circuits, so I didn’t have time to dwell on it.

And yes, much like losing your virginity, you will never, ever forget your first solo. Good luck, and remember - it'll take you a week to get rid of that grin! :D:D

Elvis21
4th Sep 2002, 13:16
On my first solo we landed and were taxiing back to the apron when my instructing said "Stop here". He then got out and said off you go then. Wicked feeling. I was talking to my self the whole way through.

Enjoy it my friend. It is a moment you never forget.:D

waitpond
4th Sep 2002, 13:39
My first solo was much the same as above. I had just done a couple of circuits with full stops with my instructor. As we taxied around for another take off he asked me to stop and said...

"right... we're are gonna try something different now"

with that he took off his seatbelt, and climbed out.

No words can explain that feeling. I too talked to myself all the way round.

"F*** S*** F***" etc...

I was my instructors first student too... it must have been worse for him!!!

Not sure you will ever feel ready for it... just got to concentrate and do everything as you have been taught to the letter.

Holryn
4th Sep 2002, 15:29
Soloboy,

As Field in Sight says "you'll be surprised how well it all comes together".

I did my first solo a couple of weeks ago and it was probably the best experience I've had so far.

When I got to the aerodrome (EGKB) the wind was strong and the runway in use was the opposite direction I was normally used to.

I went up and did some stalling exercises with my instructor then came back to the field and did some circuits, with practice engine failures and go-arounds. By the end of this the wind had dropped and the sun was beginning to set.

We landed and exited the runway, and he said "well I'm happy to let you go on your own". I too had butterflies but we had a chat, he radioed the tower and told them he was going to send me out.

Out he got, I did my pre-flight and off I went. Did the power checks, got clearance and I was off.

Everything did come together, the weather was perfect and I made one of my best landings to boot.

The tower congratulated me on my first solo which was a great feeling.

The clarity with which I remember is unbelievable.

So , all the best for the weekend, hope the weather is good and above all enjoy it - it only happens once!

Paul

kabz
4th Sep 2002, 15:29
I'd done about 40 minutes in the pattern and I was pretty tired, and on takeoff from about my 8th tng, my instructor said "Make this decent, and we'll be full stop and you can try a few yourself..." I shook all the way round the pattern, made a decent landing and my instructor hopped out, checked his handheld worked, and I set off ...

First landing was ok, 2nd and 3rd were nice. Awesome feeling.

Best advice: Don't panic and always fly the airplane !!!!

Course the solo nav to other fields was the real big deal ... ;-)