PDA

View Full Version : Loans for flight training

WindyTurtle
8th Jan 2024, 11:14
Hello. I'm conscious I'm breaking the advice of not asking pilots for financial advice, but is it actually feasible to take out a loan for part of your flight training (let's say £25k) considering some airlines (notably RyanAir and Easy) then want 30k for the TR up-front, which will likely be further debt for applicants? I've read through many forums here and there's mixed advice on taking on debt or not on the basis of getting to the RHS of a commercial jet sooner. Logically I want to avoid debt as much as possible, right?

rudestuff
8th Jan 2024, 12:01
You want to avoid unnecessary debt. If you can afford the payments in the worst case scenario then go for it. Paying Ryanair for a type rating with the expectation of using it to earn money would be reasonable to most people. It all depends on your circumstances. If you save 25k eating bread and cheese and working two jobs for a couple of years, then take out a 25k loan to finish your fATPL you'll owe at 350 a month that would be perfectly affordable, even if you double it to add a type rating.