PDA

View Full Version : Routes to Airline Flight - 14yr Old PPL Student

Pilotz
23rd Jan 2001, 00:39
Hi

My names Simon meston and im currently training for my PPL at LBA (MultiFlight)

I am seeking some advice On the available routes into commercial Airline flight

I am now farely keen to enter the Air Force Upon gaining my PPL (at 17) and Gaining the required qualifications

Is this a good way to Start the long road to Airline Flight ?
Do airlines favour previous Fighter Pilots ?

Also if anyone has any idea ... Will the holding of a Valid PPL provide me with a greater chance of acceptance into the Air Force Jet Training Schemes ?

Many thanks for any Help anyone may be Able to Offer me

Yours ... Simon Meston

scroggs
23rd Jan 2001, 03:13
Simon,
welcome to aviation! There are many here who can give you advice about the civilian route to the airlines, but you did also ask about the military route - where I have some experience.
Firstly, you obviously have to jump the various hoops to get into the RAF (or RN - don't forget they fly fighters as well!). Your first priority should be to get the best GCSEs and A Levels that you can - and aim to get to University, where you would have the opportunity of joining a University Air Squadron. You should contact the RAF or RN now to obtain information about 6th form scholarships, university bursaries and cadetships, all of which give financial help in exchange for various levels of commitment to the services.
Obtaining a PPL isn't in itself a strong factor in your favour because it costs so much money. If you've raised that money through paper rounds, or evening and weekend jobs, however, that evidence of determination will stand you in very good stead.
As for your eventual transition to the airlines, most are very happy to accept appropriately qualified fast-jet pilots (if such you end up), but helicopter and heavy aircraft pilots are also sought after. I wouldn't go to the Air Force, however, and tell them that you plan eventually to sod off to BA or whoever - they'd like to think that they're getting you for life!
I wish you the very best of luck in this, the very best, profession. Stick with Pprune and you'll learn lots more!

Perfect PFL
24th Jan 2001, 20:06
I would like to basically echo what scroggs has said. Get the very best GCSE's and A-levels you can, as these will help you whatever career you end up doing.
I personally went the University and UAS route, so I would recommend that, it is a great experience, and again is all good CV stuff.
Go for a flying scholarship if you can, it's all more flying, so good. If you do want to go the RAF route, then go for sponsorship to get into the UAS. Remember though, if it's airline flying you want to do, do you really want to be in the RAF for 12 or 16 years first?
You've got plenty of time to really decide what options to take, but while you are thinking, work as hard as you can at school, enjoy the flying, and keep your options open.

Good luck. :)

benny4
25th Jan 2001, 20:35
Just get those, GCSE's and A-levels done. Once you've done that a degree would be useful. Within 10 years you might even be flying!

taildragger2
26th Jan 2001, 17:58
RAF scholarship is a great way to cut the cost of a PPL in half I did it and found it a great kick start motivation wise! One piece of advice though it's a tough old route so have a plan B,C and D! You may be able to save your milk money for a few extra hours on the self improver route as then your in charge of your own destiny. Stay positive little man! GOOD LUCK...........TAILWINDS.

Pilotz
26th Jan 2001, 23:19
There is no Problem in The Cash for my PPL as i have that money secured already.I was just wondering if Airlines Favour Pre-Air force candidates ? And if not then What are my best options of building flying hours once i turn 17 and gain my PPL ..

Thanks for all your Help Already Guys !!

Nick Mahon
28th Jan 2001, 11:54
Just like to mention Simon that what everyone has said is correct, but the RAF at present is pushing for people to go 'direct entry' and skipping out uni. You can still do an 'in service degree' so you won't have lost out educationally.