PDA

View Full Version : CAA + EASA Joint Modular?

Zembla82
7th Jan 2024, 16:06
Hi,

I've seen the posts about cheap modular pathways, so what about a "cheap" modular pathway towards CAA and EASA licenses?
I have right to work in UK and EU. Been accepted to a flight school in EU on an integrated course for EASA licence. I am seeking advice on doing both licenses simultaneously, probably within the UK as I'm in Scotland currently. I have a max budget of circa £75k so the integrated courses at UK providers for joint licences are outwith my budget. Is this realistic?

I have spoken to ACS in Perth. They said I can do my PPL in Europe or UK. However, when I asked about other parts of a modular route that I could do in the EU without needing to do two exams they could not help. So I turn to you ppruners.

Any input is MUCH appreciated and time is of the essence as I have that EASA integrated due to start soon.

clarkeysntfc
7th Jan 2024, 20:33
PPL & Night Rating it doesn’t matter U.K. or EASA as all you need is an ICAO license with night privileges.

Enrol at Bristol GS for ATPL theory - sit both U.K. and Austro control exams.

Flying - check out Stapleford Flight Centre who’ll sort you out with U.K. & EASA CPL & IRs at a solid price.

APS MCC - several to choose from but VA did well for me.

Beaker_
7th Jan 2024, 21:21
I was pretty sure ACS are able to train for dual licences so I wonder if there might be a misunderstanding there. Might be worth re-checking!

rudestuff
7th Jan 2024, 21:27
I have spoken to ACS in Perth. They said I can do my PPL in Europe or UK. However, when I asked about other parts of a modular route that I could do in the EU without needing to do two exams they could not help.Because you asked them an impossible question - everything needs two exams, except maybe your initial PPL which can be from almost anywhere. There are plenty of options in the UK to get both licences simultaneously.

Zembla82
8th Jan 2024, 11:35
Hi Clarke, thanks for the info and your experiences. PPL and night rating seems to be the answer to my question. Much obliged.

I'll look into Stapleford for prices. I expect ACS in Perth is likely to work out better as I can commute more easily than London. Both seem to have a good reputation.

Thanks again for your input.

Zembla82
8th Jan 2024, 11:38
Hi Beaker. That's correct, ACS can do dual licenses. I was interested to learn which parts of gaining the dual licences does not require doing the two exams. It seems the answer is the PPL and Night Rating. I can do these in Europe (convenient currently for a few reasons) and then return to the UK for everything else, probably at ACS.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Zembla82
8th Jan 2024, 11:43
Hi rudestuff,

It doesn't strike me as an impossible question. If ACS responded that everything beyond the PPL requires two exams that would have resolved the query.

From the other contributors to the post it appears it is the PPL and Night Rating that does not require two exams. Everything else does.

Beaker_
8th Jan 2024, 12:16
Hi Beaker. That's correct, ACS can do dual licenses. I was interested to learn which parts of gaining the dual licences does not require doing the two exams. It seems the answer is the PPL and Night Rating. I can do these in Europe (convenient currently for a few reasons) and then return to the UK for everything else, probably at ACS.

Ah ha! Sorry, my misunderstanding. Good luck!

Zembla82
8th Jan 2024, 15:34
So does this look realistic to people? Is there anything I'm missing?

PPL £11k
ATPL Theory at BGS £2600
13 x EASA exams at £82 each: £1066
13 x CAA exams at £82 each: £1066
Hour Building: 110 hours at ACS Perth, £17,200
Night Rating: Say £2k
CPL at ACS £5500. They might ask for more for dual licence, hopefully not much more.
Multi Engine Piston Rating: £3820 at ACS
Multi Engine Instrument Rating: if I hold CPL it is £18,200 or £21,000 without
APS MCC and A-UPRT combined Ryanair mentored programme is €7500 or say £6500

Thanks ever so much for your input.

Arena_33
8th Jan 2024, 18:09

PPL £11k
ATPL Theory at BGS £2600
13 x EASA exams at £82 each: £1066
13 x CAA exams at £82 each: £1066
Hour Building: 110 hours at ACS Perth, £17,200
Night Rating: Say £2k
CPL at ACS £5500. They might ask for more for dual licence, hopefully not much more.
Multi Engine Piston Rating: £3820 at ACS
Multi Engine Instrument Rating: if I hold CPL it is £18,200 or £21,000 without
APS MCC and A-UPRT combined Ryanair mentored programme is €7500 or say £6500

Thanks ever so much for your input.

If you can find a local flying club that charge by the tacho hour instead of block you can get your hour building closer to the £12k mark

Ali10
8th Jan 2024, 20:01
Hi there guys, I’m currently studying A-Levels and due to finish by the end of June. I look to start my flight training in around September/October however, I was first looking to complete my flight training the integrated route. But now I’m seeing that many people have done it via the modular route in a more affordable way , and by no means am I rich, I would like to take the modular course but I’m worried that by taking the modular course, will it hinder my chances of getting a job in the future when airlines see I’ve bounced around to many flight schools ?

Any reply would be greatly appreciated as I want to learn more about this modular route, I also want to do a dual licence just to broaden my chances of getting a job based in the UK.

I was thinking maybe I can join Skybourne ( my integrated course first choice) later on when I’m about to finish my modular course so they can help me secure my first job with their incredible connections?

thanks guys.

clarkeysntfc
9th Jan 2024, 18:36
Hi there guys, I’m currently studying A-Levels and due to finish by the end of June. I look to start my flight training in around September/October however, I was first looking to complete my flight training the integrated route. But now I’m seeing that many people have done it via the modular route in a more affordable way , and by no means am I rich, I would like to take the modular course but I’m worried that by taking the modular course, will it hinder my chances of getting a job in the future when airlines see I’ve bounced around to many flight schools ?

Any reply would be greatly appreciated as I want to learn more about this modular route, I also want to do a dual licence just to broaden my chances of getting a job based in the UK.

I was thinking maybe I can join Skybourne ( my integrated course first choice) later on when I’m about to finish my modular course so they can help me secure my first job with their incredible connections?

thanks guys.

A fellow trainee at the same time as me trained modular, met the requirement BA NQPP has for no more than 3 schools for ATPL theory, CPL/IR and MCC.
He’s now got a cadet job in BA mainline.

Beaker_
10th Jan 2024, 06:32

It would be sensible to budget for contingencies. The prices quoted for the PPL, CPL and IR will be based on completing in minimum time.

Most people realistically do their PPL in 50-60hrs as opposed to 45 and it's usually recommended to add a 10% contingency for the CPL and IR courses. Don't forget landing fees for land away flights. Usually around £15ish but they soon add up!

Also, consider:
Cost for staying away for your theory exams if needed
PPL exams
Flying equipment, headset etc.
Aircraft hire for your skills tests... Usually 2-2.5hrs each. If you're doing a dual licence, you'll do 2 IR tests.

Ali10
10th Jan 2024, 20:57
A fellow trainee at the same time as me trained modular, met the requirement BA NQPP has for no more than 3 schools for ATPL theory, CPL/IR and MCC.
He’s now got a cadet job in BA mainline.

hi there, is it possible to tell me what flying schools he went to , to achieve all his licence and ratings etc ? It would be very much appreciated, and thank you so much for this reply.

Zembla82
11th Jan 2024, 10:10
Thank you for all the responses to my query and for helping out Ali10 as well (best wishes to you, young chap!). Also, Ali, you could look at the TUI cadet programme which is open just now.

Can I ask those more seasoned if this is the complete list of Licences and ratings for dual frozen ATPL? I've included hour building here too, as it's a major expense. Any other modules or major expenses needed? Thanks once again.

PPL
ATPL Theory
Hour Building up to 200 hours
MEP
ME/IR
MEP Skill test
ME/IR Skills test
CPL
A-UPRT
APS/MCC
Theory CAA
Theory EASA

Mr.Meerkat
16th Jan 2024, 19:32
Thank you for all the responses to my query and for helping out Ali10 as well (best wishes to you, young chap!). Also, Ali, you could look at the TUI cadet programme which is open just now.

Can I ask those more seasoned if this is the complete list of Licences and ratings for dual frozen ATPL? I've included hour building here too, as it's a major expense. Any other modules or major expenses needed? Thanks once again.

PPL
ATPL Theory
Hour Building up to 200 hours
MEP
ME/IR
MEP Skill test
ME/IR Skills test
CPL
A-UPRT
APS/MCC
Theory CAA
Theory EASA

Just need to tack on night rating but I'm sure you know that already. List looks pretty good however, do not forget the licencing and examiner fees! The UK CPL and IR examiner fees are £924 each!

Something else to consider is that you will most likely be unable to do your UK and EASA ME-IR skills test at the same time (unlike CPL or MEP). As per Part-FCL, the EASA initial IR skills test must be conducted in EASA airspace whilst the UK initial IR skills test must be conducted in UK airspace. There are two workarounds but that's for another time, especially as it does ultimately rely on you being assigned a dual IRE by the CAA.

clarkeysntfc
17th Jan 2024, 07:29
hi there, is it possible to tell me what flying schools he went to , to achieve all his licence and ratings etc ? It would be very much appreciated, and thank you so much for this reply.
Stapleford for CPL MEIR

Ali10
17th Jan 2024, 07:38
Stapleford for CPL MEIR

What were the other schools he achieved the other things in such as MCC , ATPL theory ?

thank you so much for your replies, I’m just trying to go down a similar route with the same schools.

Zembla82
17th Jan 2024, 12:06
Thanks very much Mr.Meerkat. That's helpful.