PDA

View Full Version : 737 max exit exiting stage left

Capn Rex Havoc
6th Jan 2024, 11:28
Anyone want to take a bet on when the 737 max is going to be grounded in Aus?

Accident: Alaska B39M at Portland on Jan 5th 2024, emergency exit and panel separated in flight (http://avherald.com/h?article=51354f78&opt=0)

SandyPalms
6th Jan 2024, 11:45
I don’t think so. It was a plug over the extra door in the 737 Max9. It’s also the same in the 737-900 and has been for decades. No Australian operator operates either. The virgin aircraft are Max8 and don’t have the same plug (or door, depending on the airline). I suspect the question will be who installed it, Boeing or Alaska?

Capn Rex Havoc
6th Jan 2024, 11:50
Thanks for the info Sandy.
I am flying on a max right now, Miami to Denver (in an aisle seat) :)

LostWanderer
6th Jan 2024, 19:23
I don’t think so. It was a plug over the extra door in the 737 Max9. It’s also the same in the 737-900 and has been for decades. No Australian operator operates either. The virgin aircraft are Max8 and don’t have the same plug (or door, depending on the airline). I suspect the question will be who installed it, Boeing or Alaska?

Boeing installs the plug. Its an option based on the airlines layout - high or low density config. It is done at Everett before they deliver the airplane.

dragon man
6th Jan 2024, 20:20
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/watch-alaska-airlines-737-max-jets-emergency-door-rips-mid-flight-over-portland

rodney rude
6th Jan 2024, 20:20
Have you slimmed down Rexy? No longer having to book 2 seats?

Capn Rex Havoc
6th Jan 2024, 21:32
FAA have just grounded all 737 max 9s.

and no RR - I’m ballooning out to blend in with the locals.

MickG0105
6th Jan 2024, 21:51
FAA have just grounded all 737 max 9s.
Not all MAX 9s, just those "... with a mid cabin door plug installed."

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1095x1200/screenshot_20240107_084801_adobe_acrobat_657d8fa3512b08d2768 59cb874ad40970a0147d8.jpg

chimbu warrior
6th Jan 2024, 22:12
It is done at Everett before they deliver the airplane.

​​​​​​​Well, Renton actually.

tdracer
6th Jan 2024, 23:33
Well, Renton actually.
Ah, neither. The fuselage is built in Wichita by Spirit AeroSystems and shipped to Renton by rail as a basically complete structure - plug (or door, as specified by the aircraft buyer) already installed.

megan
7th Jan 2024, 01:40
No need to go to an amusement park for thrills.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1280x1707/gdjdvvvxwaaplyi_19f51d45db242bf03c7aaf39aebeac252d1ce6cb.jpg

3 Holer
7th Jan 2024, 04:21
B737 MAX. First Boeing lemon ???

ozbiggles
7th Jan 2024, 05:10
Ah, neither. The fuselage is built in Wichita by Spirit AeroSystems and shipped to Renton by rail as a basically complete structure - plug (or door, as specified by the aircraft buyer) already installed.

Spirit Aero Systems….where have we heard that name before

framer
7th Jan 2024, 06:01
Boeing installs the plug. Its an option based on the airlines layout - high or low density config. It is done at Everett before they deliver the airplane.
​​​​​​​Well, Renton actually.
​​​​​​​Ah, neither. The fuselage is built in Wichita by Spirit AeroSystems and shipped to Renton by rail as a basically complete structure - plug (or door, as specified by the aircraft buyer) already installed.
You guys! I believed you all one by one but now I don’t know what to think. Will there be another correction? Bloody Internet.

Ollie Onion
7th Jan 2024, 07:50
Stuff flying in those pieces of crap.

Capt Fathom
7th Jan 2024, 09:47
No mention anywhere of the errant door causing any damage on the ground?

MechEngr
7th Jan 2024, 09:51
Imagine someone returning from a trip two weeks from now to find their house has been Donnie Darko'ed by the door and is now a winter wonderland from the hole in the roof. And there is also a cell phone and a child's t-shirt.

7th Jan 2024, 13:20
cell phone
I guess that the plug would have had more drag than the phone falling and would have landed some distance from the phone.
Would it be possible to determine the position of the phone during the fall, that is if it was not in flight mode.

Peter Fanelli
7th Jan 2024, 19:49
B737 MAX. First Boeing lemon ???

Boeing just hasn't been the same since it was taken over by McDonnell Douglas.

Lookleft
7th Jan 2024, 21:59
How ironic that Boeing's commercial aircraft success was assisted by the flawed design of the Comet and now their most successful product has the potential to destroy the company due to flawed design. They have just handed the narrow body market to the European successor to the Comet designers.

lucille
7th Jan 2024, 22:13
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/512x426/66fb4de8_4bf6_44e4_8f84_2a53a0f39cfe_7f07bdbed3375916ddab764 dfdb264b85fd7f8fd.jpeg

MEL’d Cat D. Good to go.

donpizmeov
8th Jan 2024, 01:27
Thanks for the info Sandy.
I am flying on a max right now, Miami to Denver (in an aisle seat) :)

Any danger pay included for with that Rexy? Probably the most dangerous flying you have done for a bit🤣

Boeing's are good for flying boxes. We must be up to a full generation now that haven't seen a good product roll off the Boeing line. Who would have ever thunk?

Capn Rex Havoc
8th Jan 2024, 11:21
Any danger pay included for with that Rexy? Probably the most dangerous flying you have done for a bit🤣

Not as dangerous as a former 380 pilot flying prop things low level over water……
​​​​​​​

golfbananajam
8th Jan 2024, 12:57
I'm glad nobody "fell out" of the hole. Seems like a good job by the crew but I still don't understand why USA operators seem to not declare MAYDAY but rather use something like "we're in emergency". But that seems fairly trivial at the end of the day I suppose.

donpizmeov
8th Jan 2024, 14:11
Not as dangerous as a former 380 pilot flying prop things low level over water……

​​​​​​Jets are for jacuzzis!

Hey wait there, could this be a new idea for Boeing?

As the man said "if it's a Boeing I'm not going".

​​​​​​​Unless of course it's one of the QF historical fleet and I need to get home for the weekend. 😁

MickG0105
8th Jan 2024, 20:56
United finds loose bolts on plug doors during 737 Max inspections
Jon Ostrower Dispatches January 8, 2024

United Airlines has found loose bolts and other parts on 737 Max 9 plug doors as it inspects itsfleet of Boeing jets following the Friday rapid depressurization aboard an Alaska Airties jet of thesame make, according to three people familar with the findings.

​​​​​​...

https://theaircurrent.com/feed/dispatches/united-finds-loose-bolts-on-plug-doors-during-737-max-9-inspections/

blubak
9th Jan 2024, 06:21
How ironic that Boeing's commercial aircraft success was assisted by the flawed design of the Comet and now their most successful product has the potential to destroy the company due to flawed design. They have just handed the narrow body market to the European successor to the Comet designers.
Is it a flawed design?
Once the door (plug) is in place with the door mounted pressure stops sitting against the fuselage mounted pressure pads & then the 4 bolts & nuts lockwired in place ( 2 top & 2 bottom) there is physically no way the door can move to come out of its intended position.
Have a look at The Boeing 737 Technical Site - Home Page (http://www.b737.org.uk), there is a 17 min video on the 737 mid door plug option.

No Idea Either
9th Jan 2024, 07:38
Yes blubak, unless the brackets that hold the four bolts aren’t themselves fixed adequately to the airframe, which is apparently the case for the United machinary. Then the door can move, wiggling free off the stops, possibly causing an ‘auto fail’ light and/or the departure of said door.

blubak
9th Jan 2024, 08:31
Yes blubak, unless the brackets that hold the four bolts aren’t themselves fixed adequately to the airframe, which is apparently the case for the United machinary. Then the door can move, wiggling free off the stops, possibly causing an ‘auto fail’ light and/or the departure of said door.
Did u watch the video that explains where the bolts are fitted?
Also there is a 45 min update by the NTSB on youtube that reveals the top guides were torn & also shows the bottom hinges are still intact.
The only way the door can move in the guides is either the failure of the 4 supposedly lockwired nuts & bolts or the non fitment of them.
The 4 bolts are not affixed to the airframe, 2 are in the upper guide tracks which are installed after the upper rollers are in their correct position & they prevent the door from moving down in the guides.
The lower 2 are fitted in the lower hinges, all is really well explained in the video.

DIBO
9th Jan 2024, 08:39
You guys! I believed you all one by one but now I don’t know what to think. Will there be another correction? Bloody Internet.
Not a correction but a subsequent, additional 'door step' ;)
At its Renton, Washington, plant, Boeing typically removes the pop-out, or non-functioning, door and uses the gap to load interiors. Then, the part is put back and the installation in completed.

No Idea Either
10th Jan 2024, 06:04
No Blubak, I didn’t watch the video. Thanks for the info, I’ll watch it.