PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Emirates?

cefey
5th Jan 2024, 07:11
Hello everyone! I'm looking for a new job and Emirates is on top of my list. I know this is extremely subjective topic. There are no "one fits all". There is no "best airline in the world" either. All of them got pros and cons.
I would like to hear what do YOU think and let's emphasise on the PROS, to keep this topic more positive. What other companies are great? Is there anyone else you would rather work for in the ME? Perhaps someone has experience with both Etihad, Qatar and Emirates? New Saudi company sound exciting and it seems like country is opening up. Asia? Salaries in US are pretty crazy right now, huh?
One tiny request, please dont turn this thread into bashing of EK. There is another thread with 50 pages with their pros and cons. Lets talk about alternatives and what excites you about other companies/why would you like to work for them?

Youwish
5th Jan 2024, 14:16
No alternatives.. please go there

flyTheBigFatLady
5th Jan 2024, 17:42
Hello everyone! I'm looking for a new job and Emirates is on top of my list. I know this is extremely subjective topic. There are no "one fits all". There is no "best airline in the world" either. All of them got pros and cons.
I would like to hear what do YOU think and let's emphasise on the PROS, to keep this topic more positive. What other companies are great? Is there anyone else you would rather work for in the ME? Perhaps someone has experience with both Etihad, Qatar and Emirates? New Saudi company sound exciting and it seems like country is opening up. Asia? Salaries in US are pretty crazy right now, huh?
One tiny request, please dont turn this thread into bashing of EK. There is another thread with 50 pages with their pros and cons. Lets talk about alternatives and what excites you about other companies/why would you like to work for them?

swiss and Edelweiß are hiring
Lufthansa started a recruiting offensive in the need of 2000 pilots

kungfu panda
5th Jan 2024, 18:39
The only guys that post on PPRUNE are the "bashing Emirares" guys. If you don't want to hear that then PPRUNE is the wrong site for you.

By the way, it's the same guys year after year, so they don't want to leave Emirates.

5strypes
6th Jan 2024, 06:04
swiss and Edelweiß are hiring
Lufthansa started a recruiting offensive in the need of 2000 pilots

Fluent German required? Also I'd imagine you'll be doing well to touch the package of EK, when you consider bills/housing is covered and no tax.

PapaEchoIndia
10th Jan 2024, 11:03
THY

Pros :
- Good atmosphere
- Growing company
- Close to Europe
- Blocked days off for expats
- Monthly reserved ticket

Cons :
- Unstable Turkish Lira
- Cost of living in Istanbul

jadrolinija
11th Jan 2024, 06:48
THY

Pros :
- Good atmosphere
- Growing company
- Close to Europe
- Blocked days off for expats
- Monthly reserved ticket

Cons :
- Unstable Turkish Lira
- Cost of living in Istanbul

I guess you are talking about wide body fleet, right? Narrow body has much less blocked days off I guess..

PapaEchoIndia
12th Jan 2024, 11:43
I guess you are talking about wide body fleet, right? Narrow body has much less blocked days off I guess..

Not 100% sure as I am on wide body now but should be the same as wide body.

Aero_manoloman
12th Jan 2024, 19:26
I recommend you apply to all. Mainly Emirates and Qatar. After clearing the initial online stages you'll be invited to the final assessment in the country of the airline and you'll will get a rough idea of what it'd be like to work and live there, likely starting with a flight in one of their airplanes. Also during the assessment in the country you'll meet other candidates and discuss this while you're there.

Emirates is a good place to work as long as you learn the game. Depending on where you come from it could be a big step up like it was for me (Low fares made simple). Dubai is a city some love and some hate and there's no way to tell in what group you'll fall. I have colleagues who chose other airlines in the region and they're all happy. I could be biased but have the impression that the people I know at Emirates plan to stay here longer than the people I know who joined Qatar or FlyDubai. You'll find other posts on here where they make a more factual comparison. If maximizing earnings is what you're after I recommend you search for those.

Good luck

vennnz
16th Jan 2024, 03:07
Not 100% sure as I am on wide body now but should be the same as wide body.
whats the take home pay for a wide body FO?

Truetoga
16th Jan 2024, 17:20
Etihad also an alternative in the region. Package is similar to EK but no provident fund. Smaller airline but some prefer to live in Abu Dhabi as dubai is getting busier and busier every year (quieter and more family orientated, plus only an hour from dxb by car).

Money wise I would say EK is better.

in the end they are all the same fundamentally…its probably better to consider where you want to live…Dubai - nightlife and glitz
AD - more cultural and quiet
Qatar - not much to do compared to others

A320251N
16th Jan 2024, 22:52
I'm living in AUH and couldn't be happier... Realllly nice place to live. From time to time I go to DXB to visit some friends and I can't wait to come back to AUH!

Just my 2 cents.

cefey
22nd Jan 2024, 13:12
I'm living in AUH and couldn't be happier... Realllly nice place to live. From time to time I go to DXB to visit some friends and I can't wait to come back to AUH!
Just my 2 cents.
Can you please describe AUH vs DXB? Im looking for quiet family life outside of the city. We dont care much for nightlife, shopping etc. Somehow I imagine staying on outskirt of the city, spending most of the time at work/home/sports is pretty much the same everywhere in the world.