PDA

View Full Version : Passing of Geoff Goodall

runway16
5th Jan 2024, 04:01
Aviation historians and enthusiasts are dismayed to hear of the passing of noted historian and aviation enthusiast, Geoff Goodall.
Located in Melbourne, Australia, Geoff passed away on Friday January 5 after a short illness. Geoff was an ATC controller before his retirement. He was the blog author of the world famous Geoff Goodall's Aviation History file. Geoff was noted for his gathering and writing up the history of many Australian aircraft and a number of other aircraft types from both local and overseas as well. He also maintained an extensive listing of Warbird aircraft from around the world.
Geoff's passing leaves a large hole in the ranks of aviation historians and enthusiasts. He will not be forgotten.

chimbu warrior
5th Jan 2024, 04:15
I am saddened to hear this. Although I never met Geoff, his contribution to the preservation of Australian aviation history though his photographs and articles is immense.

I sincerely hope that his archives are preserved by a responsible museum or organisation.

Kagamuga
5th Jan 2024, 05:00
I remember talking to Geoff one day about Nomad's in PNG. Geoff could quote serial numbers and registrations.
Geoff like the recently late Gordon Reid were passionate about preserving history.
Job well done Geoff !

missy
5th Jan 2024, 05:09
Very sad news. I worked with Geoff during the introduction of TAAATS (Travelling All Around Australia Talking ****). Geoff was one of the nicest guys you could meet, he was a great storyteller, for those who hadn't met him think of cricketer/commentator Kerry O'Keefe, but of the ATC world. But it was more than just ATC, he had a genuine passion for all things aviation. The Man. The Myth. The Legend. Chunky, RIP.

behind the mike (https://www.goodall.com.au/australian-aviation/atc-behind-mike/ATCdays.html?fbclid=IwAR3hjzt7w2HMLLjrazWbGs91W8FHuHlbx4ul9M dZhkvFWKLOfYM-oyNsRZg)

Dora-9
5th Jan 2024, 05:34
Sad news. I never met Geoff although we corresponded often in recent years. He was always very generous in supplying photos.
RIP Geoff.

TBM-Legend
5th Jan 2024, 05:55
Aviation historians and enthusiasts are dismayed to hear of the passing of noted historian and aviation enthusiast, Geoff Goodall.
Located in Melbourne, Australia, Geoff passed away on Friday January 5 after a short illness. Geoff was an ATC controller before his retirement. He was the blog author of the world famous Geoff Goodall's Aviation History file. Geoff was noted for his gathering and writing up the history of many Australian aircraft and a number of other aircraft types from both local and overseas as well. He also maintained an extensive listing of Warbird aircraft from around the world.
Geoff's passing leaves a large hole in the ranks of aviation historians and enthusiasts. He will not be forgotten.

Geoff was a truly fine fellow ATC and was responsible for chronicling aviation history and publishing same.

He will be missed and I’m proud to have known him.

RIP

ER_BN
5th Jan 2024, 07:02
Geoff “Chunky” Goodall…

I had the utmost pleasure of getting to know Geoff in France and then working with him in Australia.

His gentle “abuse” of thank you very much in ?French initially confused and then charmed every French person he met.

His story telling made totally believable by his aviation knowledge, experience and sincerity was legendary. The humility, self deprecation and recognition that the road to hell is paved with good intentions in Geoff’s telling of “No slot time Narita” made this one of the funniest and humorous aviation narratives I’ve ever heard. Glad I heard it first in my early forties, my bladder would indeed not cope these days…

Geoff, say G’day to Phil and let him know “Le canard, though stuffed, flies on…….” I know you will pardon my franglais

A good bottle of French red will be consumed tonight in fond memories of Geoff (and Phil.)

TAAATS on tour!

RIP

Mr Mossberg
5th Jan 2024, 07:06
He was a bloody good hand, Geoff. And an outstanding gentleman. Vale.

Al E. Vator
5th Jan 2024, 09:22
Awesome chronicler of Australian aviation…SO many amazing photographs

gcafinal
5th Jan 2024, 09:55
This is certainly a shock to the system. I knew Geoff very well and he had supplied me with historical information and aircraft photos for various venues over the years. A perfect human being. Always affable, cheery and helpful and had a wealth of immediate information. A big loss for Australian aviation. May he Rest in Peace.

Dave Ed
5th Jan 2024, 10:40
Sad to hear. Geoff provided me with a great set of pictures of Bristow Helicopters in Oz in 70's and 80's for the Bristow Old Gits group.

le Pingouin
5th Jan 2024, 13:20
A nicer bloke you could not meet and as others have mentioned his tales were legendary. Thanks for everything Chunky.

Swan River Rat
5th Jan 2024, 18:29
A great mentor
A dear friend
An inspiration
Sympathy to family
so many memories from Perth Tower, The College Of Knowledge, Melbourne Centre and beyond
Tail wind and fair weather.
Michael

T J Johansen
5th Jan 2024, 21:41
I have been following Geoff Goodall's work since the first Warbird Directory he made with John Chapman in 1989. Wonderful piece of publication which he kept on re- publishing with added histories, then made available online. In the later years I contacted him with whatever tidbits I could offer, and he seemed quite pleased with that. Had hoped to be able to keep that up for a long time, but alas.

Too bad I never got to meet the man, as he sounds like a very decent chap. Hopefully his website can be kept going, as a tribute to his work. It would be too bad if that disappears.

T J

Fris B. Fairing
5th Jan 2024, 22:00
I had the honour and privilege of studying at the feet of the master aviation historian for most of my life. Geoff was a mentor to many, both in his professional ATC career and in his passion for aviation history. If you were to ask Geoff if he had a photo of a particular aircraft he would invariably respond with a selection of photos and chapter and verse on the aircraft's history. What set Geoff apart from many others is that he was always happy to share his vast knowledge. This desire to share reached its pinnacle when Geoff wisely decided to make his research freely available on the World Wide Web. You don't have to create an account. You don't have to create a convoluted password and above all, you don't have to pay an annual subscription. It's all there free of charge and so it shall remain. Geoff's domain will be maintained online in Geoff's memory for as long as is possible. Ultimately, the content of the website is archived by the National Library of Australia so its survival is assured. Geoff's fellow historians, who always struggled to keep up with him, have concluded that the content of his website should be frozen as none of us feel that we have the capacity to update it as Geoff would have wished. Geoff is simply irreplaceable. It's been an honour to know you Geoff. This is just part of Geoff's rich legacy:

Geoff Goodall's Aviation History Site (http://www.goodall.com.au/default.htm)

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x814/geoffs_home_page_6ee422b7400b70f67f7b8f13d8b89c5076d5c7d2.jp g

WTFIGO
7th Jan 2024, 01:50
RIP to my good friend Geoff and sincere condolences to Jane, Elizabeth and Katherine. I first met Geoff back in the early 60s when we were both photographing aircraft at Adelaide's West Beach Airport and have stayed in touch ever since. Geoff was one of those larger than life characters with heaps of good stories and an incredible enthusiasm for aviation. His website is a gold-mine of aviation history and must-view for all aviation buffs. His untimely passing will leave a very large hole in the annals of aviation history.

Saintly
7th Jan 2024, 04:25
Very sad news 😢

Fris B. Fairing
10th Jan 2024, 20:14
Geoff's website now has a Tributes page:

Tributes to Geoff (http://www.goodall.com.au/tributes.htm)