PDA

View Full Version : Falklands v Malvinas

Tedderboy
28th Dec 2023, 10:26
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1493/screenshot_2023_12_28_at_11_18_21_8f0eaeab4d21f9792c095b322f 3fbfe3b26b79a1.png

"Use of the islands’ dual moniker suggests that each name carries equal validity and the UK government has pointed out that to use the name Argentina uses is to question British sovereignty." hmmmm....

Bergerie1
28th Dec 2023, 10:40
As I am sure you know the French call The Falklands Les Îles Malouines, the name given to the islands by French explorer Louis-Antoine de Bougainville in 1764. I used to work for British Airways and once flew a 747 into Mt Pleasant on 11 June 1985 on a MoD contract. And very intersting it was too.

Lomon
28th Dec 2023, 11:20
Rather than having someone type all the info into the advert there is likely to be a commercial database of place names in the background that the MoD has bought into to "save money."

On top of that, as another "cost saving measure" I'll bet that the MoD don't even run their own vacancies website, but subcontract it to the lowest bidder who have no consideration of or even care about British Sovereignty if it can save them a few quid on the contract.

1771 DELETE
28th Dec 2023, 11:36
I am obviously missing something after being out of the RAF for 18 years.
Are they looking for a uniform or civilian to fill the post?
If its a uniform why do they not post in a senior officer to fill the slot ?
Is every post filled by volunteers nowadays, doesn't sound like the way to run the military, just as well i am out, obviously too much of a dinosaur for todays military !

downsizer
28th Dec 2023, 11:49
Its an advert for an FTRS(FC) job.

The search software adds the malvinas bit auomatically. Can't see why people are getting in a fuss about it.

Ken Scott
28th Dec 2023, 11:55
The search software adds the malvinas bit auomatically. Can't see why people are getting in a fuss about it.

​​​​​​​Perhaps because hundreds of British servicemen were killed and wounded in order to prevent the Islands from being called ‘Las Malvinas’?

Ninthace
28th Dec 2023, 12:04
Nevertheless, they are still called the Falkland Islands or Las Malvinas - just depends on who is doing the calling.

Asturias56
28th Dec 2023, 12:15
It's both and it doesn't matter - it's who occupies and runs it that matters

Chile seems fairly happy with Isles Pasqua/Rapa Nui/Easter Island used almost interchangeably

I'd remind you that one of the two main Hotels in Stanley is the Malvina House Hotel.............

Asturias56
28th Dec 2023, 12:18
Is every post filled by volunteers nowadays, doesn't sound like the way to run the military, just as well i am out, obviously too much of a dinosaur for todays military !

IIRC they have occasionally had civilians in senior - in fact VERY senior - base posts in the FI. They seem to have been largely "on attachment" from other branches of the UK Civil Service. The base is such an overwhelming presence in the FI it pays to have a degree of civi involvement

Mogwi
28th Dec 2023, 21:40
Nevertheless, they are still called the Falkland Islands or Las Malvinas - just depends on who is doing the calling.

Agreed. But in this case it is the Royal Air Force that is advertising for recruits from the “Royal Air Force” (despite it encompassing the other two services) and I personally, as someone who was there and lost many close friends, take great exception to the use of the Argentine nomenclature. I understand the alternate view but it has no place in an “in-house” recruiting advertisement placed by the British government.

Mog

VP-F__
28th Dec 2023, 22:08
It's both and it doesn't matter - it's who occupies and runs it that matters

Chile seems fairly happy with Isles Pasqua/Rapa Nui/Easter Island used almost interchangeably

I'd remind you that one of the two main Hotels in Stanley is the Malvina House Hotel.............

It matters to those of us who call it home and I believe to a great many that were involved in 1982 and since. I will accept that you probably have no origin of the hotel's name so will gladly correct you. The original owner had a daughter called Malvina and he only had one of them. Granted there is a coincidence with how close the names are but they are completely unrelated.

Ninthace
28th Dec 2023, 22:36
Agreed. But in this case it is the Royal Air Force that is advertising for recruits from the “Royal Air Force” (despite it encompassing the other two services) and I personally, as someone who was there and lost many close friends, take great exception to the use of the Argentine nomenclature. I understand the alternate view but it has no place in an “in-house” recruiting advertisement placed by the British government.

Mog

It disappoints but does not surprise me. Had my career panned out the way the Appointer had planned, I might have been one of those that got to put a hole in the Belgrano since that was the boat he was lining me up for. As it was, my career went a different way. I stiill have my FI T shirt and woolly hat, courtesy of Ninthace jr, who did a tour there subsequently. They show the silhouette of the Island on the Union Flag, which makes the point.

Lomon
29th Dec 2023, 21:38
Because a volunteer is better than pressed person?

Asturias56
30th Dec 2023, 09:10
"It matters to those of us who call it home and I believe to a great many that were involved in 1982 and since. I will accept that you probably have no origin of the hotel's name so will gladly correct you. The original owner had a daughter called Malvina "

I did know that and I 've stayed there - Malvina was obviously a popular name and certainly didn't seem to have any anti British connotations.

For the record I don't think that the Argentinean claim is worth anything - it's only based on "nearology". Since the French, the Spanish and the Americans have run the place (or parts of it) way back and they didn't want it, it fell to the UK and there it stands - full stop. I always tell people it's been British longer than Texas has been American which tends to shut them up. If the people of the FI decide, at some far future date, that they wish to change the status quo that's fine by me. What also perplexes me is that the Argentineans (well many of them) can't see that the best way to change people's minds (over a very long time) is by shutting up and trying to work as neighbours rather than as hostile across the board.