PDA

View Full Version : Lilongwe Airport Kamuzu International

Mr Mac
24th Dec 2023, 15:01
Has anyone been through Kamuzu International recently ? A good friend’s son is working as a doctor for a year in Zambia just over the boarder, and I received an email this morning from him and he is feeling a little home sick. I am down in Cape Town in January and thought I might try and call in on him on my way back . I have never been to Malawi, and it’s over 30 years since I have been in Zambia and just wondered if anyone had been through there recently. .

Cheers
Mr Mac

S.o.S.
27th Dec 2023, 19:25
Unfortunately, never been, although I know that I would be welcomed by friends near Blantyre. The cost of getting to Malawi is not trivial.

Mr Mac
28th Dec 2023, 21:51
S.o.S.
Thanks for the reply. I’m going to SA on business, and will be in Capetown and Johannesburg, flying down with EK, so cost really not an issue, and I am going to fly up from Joburg to Lilongwe using Airlink, and then drive over the border, or my friends son will pop over, but will sort that out nearer the date. I can return out of Lusaka or fly up to Nairobi or Adis and back to Dubai and Europe. Otherwise sideways to Lusaka or double back to Joburg. I am really only going to call in for a long weekend but my wife would like to see him so are planning another trip down there in April.

Cheers
Mr Mac

PAXboy
28th Dec 2023, 23:19
I did read that AirLink had cut back some of their services to Malawi. I know that country is in poor financial health but you should then find your £/$/? goes a very long way.

Mr Mac
29th Dec 2023, 06:57
Paxboy
Yes I am aware that Malawi and a number of African countries are indeed suffering financially at the moment. I was in Kenya 3 weeks ago and the cost of being there and doing things was more than reasonable but I did pay in Dollars, and indeed tipped ( Game Fishing Skipper and Safari Guide) in same currency. I tend to use Dollars re cash with some low denomination local currency as well when travelling outside of Europe.

Generally African economies are in poor shape with some notable exceptions like Botswana, and to a degree Namibia . SA should be in the same position, but corruption unfortunately blights it, as it does many other countries on that continent.

Thanks for the heads up re Airlink , I will double check but currently showing as available.

Cheers
Mr Mac

Coochycool
24th Jan 2024, 06:46
I was there a few years back, backpacking from Nairobi down to Cape Town. Depends where youre talking about in Zambia. Did the Lilongwe to Lusaka stretch by bus, services are a bit rough but organised enough, probably doable in 2 days. A very dusty part of the world. Lilongwe is a planned city, not terribly charming but they are just starting to get supermarkets and coffee shops. Zambia is one big empty country but a step upwards, with aircon shopping malls in the capital. There was a hike in visa fees whilst I was there, most places want 75 or 100 bucks for a tourist visa now. As elsewhere in Africa, bear in mind that ATMs may only permit withdrawal of as little as $60 per day and can empty quickly. Victoria Falls is an obvious detour with a decent tourist set up. Sorry but I have no experience of the regional airports other than watching Su-30s taxi at Entebbe, Uganda! Hope this helps

Cooch

Mr Mac
25th Jan 2024, 12:01
Coochycool
Thanks for the information re Malawi and indeed Zambia. I spoke with my freinds son and his girlfriend is out there currently so I think home sickness has probably disappeared currently. My own trip has been delayed until early February anyway. He has suggested he could meet me in Capetown with his girlfriend as neither have been there and he does feel he could do with some city time as he has been in Eastern Zambia since August pretty continuously. I think this is code for would Mr Mac care to pay for a nice hotel etc and go out In Capetown a bit , what could possibly go wrong 😂😂

Cheers
Mr Mac

TCAS FAN
25th Jan 2024, 13:01
………..He has suggested he could meet me in Capetown with his girlfriend as neither have been there and he does feel he could do with some city time as he has been in Eastern Zambia since August pretty continuously. I think this is code for would Mr Mac care to pay for a nice hotel etc and go out In Capetown a bit , what could possibly go wrong 😂😂

Cheers
Mr Mac

It is probable that it could if you go out at night away from the main tourist area near VA waterfront. If you do always take an Uber/cab.

Mr Mac
25th Jan 2024, 17:58
TCAS FAN
I am a bit of an old Africa hand and know Capetown pretty well having done a bit of work there over the last few years so well aware of the less savoury aspects. I think it will be mostly Waterfront,Cape, Table Mountain etc. One of my clients has a significant birthday and I am invited to that, and she said “bring the doctor and his girlfriend “ so that could be interesting as well. I think he just wants to see something that is not African bush or a Safari. I think I will throw them both in a Spa for an afternoon as well. We will see but thanks for heads up any way.

Cheers
Mr Mac