PDA

View Full Version : The Air War, as regards Lebanon, Israel, and Hezbollah

Lonewolf_50
18th Dec 2023, 18:51
I have been reading some Rumors and News (https://www.newsweek.com/israel-closer-full-scale-war-hezbollah-lebanon-1853402)about a potential scrap emerging between IDF/IAF and Hezbollah. This is, to me, its own separate topic for two reasons:
a. Not everyone in Lebanon is keen to see Hezbollah start up a serious fight with Israel
b. The airspace over Lebanon is non-permissive in a way that the airspace of Gaza was not.

While I personally hope that things on Israel's northern border won't escalate, this thread is a placeholder for if they do. Israel has edged closer to an all-out war with the Lebanese Hezbollah movement amid a worsening round of hostilities playing out as the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) is already engaged in its most intensive conflict to date in the Gaza Strip, an IDF official has said.

IDF spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Jonathan Conricus told reporters Monday that Hezbollah has fired "more than 1,000 different types of ammunition, rockets, missiles, drones, mortars and others toward Israel" since October 8, the day after the Palestinian Hamas (https://www.newsweek.com/topic/hamas) movement led an unprecedented surprise attack against Israel from Gaza.

Conricus warned that "Hezbollah, who as everybody knows is a proxy of Iran, is dangerously dragging Lebanon into an unnecessary war that could have potential devastating consequences for the state of Lebanon and for the people of Lebanon. I don't know if this is bluff and bluster, but I also don't know what means Israel and Hezbollah have to engage with each other, through a third party, to not make thing worse.

Do they even talk to each other?
I don't know, but maybe they do. Responding to Newsweek's question about how close Israel was to another full-scale war in Lebanon, Conricus said that, looking at the scope of the ongoing attacks, "then by any means we could have been at war with Hezbollah long, long ago, based solely on their actions, their violation of Israeli sovereignty and the casualties that they have caused against Israel.""We are closer today to war than we were yesterday," Conricus said. "And the directive to the IDF is of course to enhance readiness to prepare and to be capable of defending Israeli civilians."

Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant too stated separately on Monday that if "restoring security in the area" could "not be implemented diplomatically, then we will not hesitate to act." If the missiles start flying again and the air strikes become a daily occurrence ... it would mean that any engagement would have failed.
Hopefully, it won't start up and this will end up as a fairly lonely thread.

melmothtw
19th Dec 2023, 18:47
Maybe when/if such a thing happens, someone starts a thread on it. Not sure we really need 'placeholder' threads.

Lonewolf_50
19th Dec 2023, 20:20
Because the Rumors and News are that it's about to start up again. Racedo started the first Ukraine war thread months before the war began, Uncle Fred started his unpleasantries thread well before that war began.

And I for one don't want this particular aspect to contaminate the Gaza threat because, as I see it, they are two different things.

ORAC
19th Dec 2023, 20:57
https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/655199-gaza-air-war-21.html#post11554593