PDA

View Full Version : 146's Prang at Essendon

T53C
3rd Sep 2002, 03:47
News on tele indicate that the ex AN 146's and (QF NZ) machines got tossed around during last nights storm in Melbourne. Apparently one or a few of them broke free from their tie downs, and colided with some of the others. Can anyone at Essendon today confirm the seriousness of this, or is it a media beat up? Thanks.

vee1-rotate
3rd Sep 2002, 03:57
Don't know if its true or not, but if these things managed to spin around, whats the news on all the 152's and Tomahawks??

Capt Claret
3rd Sep 2002, 05:25
V1,

Depends on the way the wind blew!

Some years ago a wind event at Bundy
Blew a Shorts 360 through 120 degrees.
Blew the rudder of a Mohawk (Nord 262 with PT6s) through 180 degrees.
Picked up a Twin Otter and bashed it on the ground before it mounted an Islander.
BUT didn't upset a whole line of lighties - PA28, C172, Victa, etc.

oldhasbeen
3rd Sep 2002, 05:42
Bet the Islander was "upset!!":eek:

OzFlight.net
3rd Sep 2002, 05:47
Went out this arvo to have a look take some photo's.

The nose cone on two of the said aircraft are both damaged. Couldn't see the damage to the tails of two others.

EPIRB
3rd Sep 2002, 06:28
Damn. Less money on our payouts.

AN LAME
3rd Sep 2002, 06:49
EPIRB

If they were insured we'll probably get MORE for them as writeoffs than on the market. Or we could sell them as moorings

fruitloop
3rd Sep 2002, 06:52
I agree with EPIRB !!****** !!:D :D

Torres
3rd Sep 2002, 07:42
What a fortituous event! An insurance payout for the damage plus 8 cents per kilo for the scrap sounds better than current world prices for a 146!!!

Claret, didn't the Mohawk have a rag rudder? Twotter mounts Islander. What was the ba$tard result - Nomad or Harbin Y12?:D

T53C
3rd Sep 2002, 08:42
OzFlight, any chance of posting a picture here, or telling us where we might be able to view any of this online?

OzFlight.net
3rd Sep 2002, 09:26
T53C,

certainly... film is currently being developed and photo's will be available on the OzFlight (http://www.ozflight.com.au) website early tomorrow.

Will post again here when I get them up.

Skip

Centaurus
3rd Sep 2002, 10:34
I wonder how many aircraft owners/operators with aircraft based at Essendon and that have Cessna singles, have got rudder chocks on their tails? With winds exceeding 40 knots last night at Essendon, then there were an awful lot of unrestrained rudders being bashed from side to side.

The next question is how many of these aircraft will be thoroughly checked by an LAME before the next flight? A cynic would say very very few - the excuse being it costs money.

Woomera
3rd Sep 2002, 11:20
Centaurus

You are quite correct and the 3 and 400 series twins are serious contenders for this kind of serious damage unless they have the rudder lock installed, rudder chocked or both.

The average pilot may not know what to look for, or even be aware of the potential for serious grief.

Capt Claret
3rd Sep 2002, 13:49
Torres,

I can't remember if the rudder was rag or not, though the elevators definately were.

The Islander rejected the mounting and the Twotter didn't show its face for a year or so.

Twotter damage:
both wing tips, aileron outboard bent upwards
Bulkhead forward of cockpit bent
Nose wheel leg bent
Elevators locked (mechanical to control column) full forward, though elevators full up.
Right Main wheel rim worn flat, though tyre stayed on rim and inflated.
Twotter ended up about 20 - 30 metres from where parked.

I don't sleep so well on windy nights anymore.:(

TIMMEEEE
4th Sep 2002, 01:39
Damn!

If there was a fire involved the police and insurance assessors would have called it a Jewish Stocktake!

OzFlight.net
4th Sep 2002, 06:51
T53C and others who asked by email,

You can see a few photo's of the damaged aircraft now on the OzFlight (http://www.ozflight.com.au)

My apologise for the delay. As you will read we weren't able to get airside "officially" so the photo's aren't as good as I would have liked.

hmm...
4th Sep 2002, 07:45
ahh the fantastic BA 146! ;) ;) ;)

Such a shame to hear some are still standing! :D :D :D

Even an act of god can't destroy those b*stards! :p

T53C
4th Sep 2002, 08:12
Thanks for the pictures Oz! My spies in Melbourne tell me that one of the 'gas chambers' has been punctured on the right hand side into the cabin from one of the other machines nose.

hmm, you'll know what will happen now with these don't you? They'll keep on flying as freighters. :D

luna landing
4th Sep 2002, 21:23
Skip,

Went on the OzFlight.net site, but can't find the photos of the damaged aircraft.

Where are they??:confused:

OzFlight.net
4th Sep 2002, 23:13
Luna,

OzFlight.net is the company site. OzFlight.com.au (http://www.ozflight.com.au) is the industry site. I apologise for any confusion.

Once the front page loads you'll see a couple of images relating to recent stories we have done. One of which is the damaged Bae 146. Simply click on the link beside that an you'll see some of the photo's.

Mud Skipper
5th Sep 2002, 06:14
TIMEE

I know how you start a fire but how do you start a wind?

:D :D :D :D

Eastwest Loco
5th Sep 2002, 10:15
Very mean hmmm.....

My girls were cantankerous and flew like a brick compared to the F28, but with a great engineering team 3 steps ahead of them, they performed magnificently. Typical Pommy engineering - fix them before they know they are broken and they work fine.

The SLF adored them as they were roomy and comfortable and made nice but strange aeroplane noises when flaps were lowered or retracted.

They were Abeles's choice no doubt due to cheap deals on the heels of the euro Quiet Trader fleet buys, but we made the most of them. He would have been far better served going for F100s or MD90 at the time, but who cares - the scumbag has departed and nice aeroplanes have been dented.

Could it be that the high lift capability of the 146 wing (as it certainly could never depend on thrust alone) helped this meeting of aeroplanes?

Best all

EWL

(Please tell me it was Julie julie Mike in the pic!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can take the boy out of the Airline, but you can

NEVER take the Airline out of the boy. Clear on four.

Capn Bloggs
5th Sep 2002, 14:46
Re the ozflight.com.au (ozflight) pics, one of the said swinebats looks distinctly like it's got a RED tail: what's it doing at Essendon?? Having a last romance with the opposition?

OzFlight.net
7th Sep 2002, 01:32
We have received some more great photo's of these damaged aircraft from a yet unnamed photographer who gained tarmac access.

These photo's provide further evidence of just how bad these aircraft have been damaged.

Ansett Bae 146's damaged at Essendon Airport (http://www.ozflight.com.au/info/an_ymen/index.php)

8kcab
7th Sep 2002, 02:51
CAPN BLOGGS,

The aircraft at Essenden had nothing to do with Ansett Australia. They were with Ansett New Zealand which then changed to Qantas New Zealand ( a francise of Qantas) before going bust. Hence the Red Tail.

Cheers