PDA

View Full Version : CDT GGT VCM

salvo montalbano
16th Dec 2023, 15:31
Hello! I have taken my initial class 1 in Europe and I have the following question.
I did it while I was on my last week of vacation, the truth is that during the year I am not a big alcohol drinker. On my holidays I drink more but nothing that catches my attention.
Here in my country the blood alcohol level is measured only by GGT.
The thing is that although I haven't had any news, I have seen that my CDT was elevated. The other values ​​were perfect, negative in drugs and everuthing else within the envelope
I stopped drinking 2 days before the exams but obviously there is something else.
I am thin and very athletic so it doesn't occur to me why I can have such high CDT levels if I haven't drunk that much either.
Does any of you know about the subject or have gone through the same experience? Do i have to take de test again?
Thank you!

Radgirl
17th Dec 2023, 18:59
I am an amateur as we do not use this test. Drinking is not illegal for pilots if blood alcohol levels are low enough and we are more interested in picking up liver pathology. So I dont know if you can 'fail' this test.....

CDT measures chronic drinking. Stopping for 2 days will have no effect, you need to stop for months. There are some false positives but most are due to liver issues. As a doctor I would check your liver function tests and if normal, as I suspect they would be, send you on your way pointing out that alcohol intake never catches the attention of an alcoholic so may be you should review your intake. Stopping drinking for 2 days before a test is more illuminating to me than the blood rsult. Like most doctors I drink and intend to continue but always have at least 2 alcohol free days a week, never binge and recognise it increases my risk of cancer.....

salvo montalbano
17th Dec 2023, 19:23
Thanks for your answer doc.
I think I have not expressed myself well, as you will see, English is not my native language.
What I meant by stopping drinking two days before is that it's something I did while on vacation. For 95% of the year I go several days a week without drinking so I don't quite understand why I have such a high alcohol-related liver marker and I wanted to know if anyone had gone through the same thing.
On the other hand, on the same day of the tests, I started with symptoms of the strongest covid that I have had so far (it was a nice week for me!).
The rest of my liver markers are normal and I feel nothing but this horrible covid.
Thank you!