PDA

View Full Version : RAF Jetstream article in recent magazine

rockyDC
15th Dec 2023, 13:36
AEROPLANE monthly has recently run an article on the Jetstream in RAF service. Can anyone tell me which edition please, as I want to order a back issue. It is not in Jan 24 issue. Many thanks.

Ken Scott
15th Dec 2023, 14:30
Ah, the Jetstream… an execrable aircraft in my opinion, unpleasant handling, appallingly noisy, I couldn’t wait to finish my training on it. Then I suppose it didn’t help going to it from the Tucano/ Hawk as it was always going to suffer by comparison.

CAEBr
15th Dec 2023, 14:35
AEROPLANE monthly has recently run an article on the Jetstream in RAF service. Can anyone tell me which edition please, as I want to order a back issue. It is not in Jan 24 issue. Many thanks.

rocky, its in the Dec 23 issue, (Vol 51 No12) The Jan issue was only out on sale from yesterday so you might just find an odd issue in your local newsagent otherwise Key publishing back issues will sort it.

BEagle
15th Dec 2023, 17:34
Ah, the Jetstream… an execrable aircraft in my opinion, unpleasant handling, appallingly noisy....

I agree entirely! A totally dreadful device with abysmal contol harmony. The Astazous were very peculiar devices and as for systems, it had every method of generating electrical power short of the Wimshurst machine!

Fortunately I only did a short MER course on the wretched thing and escaped the clutches of 6FTS as soon as I possibly could!

Top West 50
15th Dec 2023, 20:16
An excellent unplanned night stop in Jersey on a MER c 1986

rockyDC
15th Dec 2023, 21:02
Thank you all.

BEagle
15th Dec 2023, 23:49
SCOPS failure on the no.2 engine had us spending a pleasant weekend at CFB Lahr instead of RAF Gatow, but that was the only high point of the MER course.... A new switch was sent out to us, fitted on Monday morning by the crew chief and back we went to RAF Finningley.

ETPS actually assessed the C-130 as being "An excellent lead-in trainer for the Jetstream", I once heard!

Dunhovrin
16th Dec 2023, 09:36
An excellent unplanned night stop in Jersey on a MER c 1986 I’ll see you and raise you 5 nights in Berlin when our Jetstream threw a donk on my FNT. 1986 also!

tucumseh
16th Dec 2023, 10:45
The RN's Jetstream T.3 cock-up was a precursor to one of MoD's more entertaining episodes. The new ASR360 cloud and clunk radar was to be retro-fitted to the T.2, and then Hercules, VC10 and Nimrod AEW. When it was found not to work, and the T.3s became Admirals' Barges, in sheer frustration a senior RAF officer, visiting Emerson Radar, looked at their excellent colour/digital radar and said 'I want that'. The company launched production, while the VSO was quietly told upon his return to Blighty that he'd let a contract. It was cancelled.

57mm
16th Dec 2023, 10:58
Shoulda used the Tornado F2 radar, it was a very good weather avoidance piece of kit; no good for anything else sadly......

beamer
16th Dec 2023, 18:05
Bit of a comedown after the JP5 and the Hawk but it served its purpose. Only real memories I have are the myriad buttons on the overhead panel, a lovely weekend at Gatow and a trip though Check Point Charlie to the East and the reign of terror instigated by the NavSchool staff towards their students who were kept at arms length by all those on METS.