PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 - Daft to Pursue this?

Caledonia91
13th Dec 2023, 22:23
Hi all,

When I started flight training back in 2019 I went to get my Class 2 medical and it was discovered that I had amblyopia - I knew one of my eyes was 'weaker' than the other but I had no idea that I had this condition. My opticians have never mentioned it once.

The CAA made me undergo a medical flight test which was satisfactory, and I was then given a restricted Class 2 with a VDL and RXO limitation. The RXO has forced me for the last three years to see an ophthalmic consultant who has repeatedly wrote to the CAA that I have well adapted amblyopia since birth and have a degree of binocular function, although not normal binocular function. I previously spoke to Dr Adrian Chorley who's advice was to seek a Class 1 in the United States where this isn't an issue and come back, but I can't do this for VISA/Family issues and it seems an unreasonable/unfeasible workaround.

During my recently Class 2 renewal, to my dismay, the CAA have told me they've tightened the rules and now consider me monocular by their standards - despite my consultant saying that I DO have some binocular function. I was made to undergo another MFT which was totally fine.

I've now got hundreds of hours under with my SEP/TMG and FI(S) ratings but the dream has always been commercial, and I've just booked my Class 1 at the cost of £700 odd quid knowing that I am going to fail it, but with the hope it opens a door to appeal.
​​​​​​​
Am I mental or do I have a hope in hell?

Uplinker
14th Dec 2023, 11:48
Without a Class 1 medical you cannot fly big jets or turbo-props commercially, so you do need to cross this hurdle before doing anything else, and it is sensible to at least try.

However, it sounds that you already have tried, but it does not sound very hopeful, since if I understand correctly, the CAA have already given you their (negative) answer. I am not sure how an appeal would go, and whether "throwing good money after bad" is worth it. Some vision faults are allowed to be corrected for a Class 1, but lack of binocular vision isn't one of them, as far as I know?

If your body cannot pass a Class 1, you will have try to find an aviation avenue that "scratches your itch" in other ways. The money you would have to spend on an ATPL and a type rating would go a very long way to chartering propellor twins for pleasure flying for example. And you would not have to go through all the commercial airline 0300 starts; 4-6 sector days; taking minimum fuel; and 6 days on, 2 days off; flying all weekends and Christmas day and all that nonsense. Trust me, it is no picnic any more.

Good luck :ok:

+TSRA
14th Dec 2023, 15:36
Am I mental or do I have a hope in hell?

An interesting way to put it. Different countries have different requirements, so perhaps it is not an issue in the United States. Unfortunately, monocular vision north of the border is invalidating for a Category 1 medical. Unfortunately, you are a case study for why I consider it important for trainee pilots to obtain the highest level medical before pursuing flight training. It's better to "waste" 700 pounds to find out you cannot hold a Class 1 medical than waste tens of thousands hoping a Class 2 will be converted to a Class 1 later on.

With that said, I do know of pilots who have successfully challenged a medical before and were successful. Just understand that if you go down this route, it is possible the CAA would require you to jump through these hoops during every renewal, and any further decline in your vision would likely be cause for them to take the medical away. Alternatively, they could further change the medical rules one day and suddenly you find you are no longer restricted or restricted further. I don't think it's a great idea to proceed with your Class 1 knowing that you will fail, as other jurisdictions you may go to often ask if you have ever failed a medical, and you'll have to answer yes. Your better option would be to reach out to the CAA directly and ask to speak to their medical board. It may still cost a bit of money, but at least you don't have to admit that you've failed a medical in doing so.