PDA

View Full Version : Vigil (BBC 1 - 2023)

OJ 72
11th Dec 2023, 07:39
I’m surprised there’s been nothing about this…so far! And, for our non-BBC-watching denizens it does have ‘some’ aviation content, as, according to the Radio Times it is set within the ‘British Air Force’ (sic)…whatever that is!!!

But, to be honest, I’m not really able to comment as I only lasted 10 minutes…and that was nine minutes too long!!! https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies2/eusa_wall.gif I thought it was execrable; from the ‘acting’, to the stilted dialogue, to the scenario, and, even the uniforms - just what was the ‘cap badge’ worn by the Wg Cdr in the opening scenes?!? :ooh:

‘Not for you, James’, I thought as I turned over to BBC4 to watch a fascinating 1985 ‘Omnibus’ documentary about the recording of ‘West Side Story’ with Bernstein conducting…and thus was my equilibrium rebalanced!!!

beamer
11th Dec 2023, 07:55
So just what is the agenda here ? The first series attempted to place the Royal Navy in a bad light and now they seem determined to do the same with the Royal Air Force. No apparent respect from the two ‘policewomen’ towards the service personnel and of course most of the woke boxes were ticked off in the first few minutes. It is the BBC of course so not totally unexpected !

I had to calm myself down with an episode of ‘All Creatures Great and Small’ !

Andy_S
11th Dec 2023, 08:22
I had mentally timetabled this for Sunday night viewing, but in the end I couldn't be bothered.

I watched the first series and it tried my patience a little. The basic premise was actually quite intriguing - a police officer carrying out a murder investigation on a nuclear submarine in which she had questionable jurisdiction and limited communication with the outside world. But the way in which she was able to move around the submarine as if she owned it and in which the crew were increasingly willing to submit to her authority just stretched credibility to breaking point. And as beamer noted the box ticking was just tiresome.

Nothing I've heard about Series 2 suggests to me that it will be any improvement.

G-MILF
11th Dec 2023, 10:19
Members of Joe Public may be completely oblivious to some of the inaccuracies, but for anyone even remotely associated with the military, it is pure cringe. Sometimes shows are so bad, they are good. This is so bad; it's just...bad.

Timelord
11th Dec 2023, 10:59
What is it with the cap badges and wings? Is it just ignorance or are they suggesting a different organisation to the RAF?

TURIN
11th Dec 2023, 11:23
So just what is the agenda here ? The first series attempted to place the Royal Navy in a bad light and now they seem determined to do the same with the Royal Air Force. No apparent respect from the two ‘policewomen’ towards the service personnel and of course most of the woke boxes were ticked off in the first few minutes. It is the BBC of course so not totally unexpected !

I had to calm myself down with an episode of ‘All Creatures Great and Small’ !
The 'agenda' is to entertain. Nothing more, nothing less. The fact that these programs tend to ignore basic levels of detail suggests that either they are ignoring the advice from researchers or they're really just not bothered.

Any vets around that could tell us if All Creatures Great and Small is technically accurate?

dctyke
11th Dec 2023, 11:41
Nothing on TV is as it seems……… especially sky news and their reporters.

DuncanDoenitz
11th Dec 2023, 11:47
Around 2017 the BBC (I think) ran a TV mini-series "The Last Post", set during the rundown of British involvement in Yemen/Aden. Criticism of the plot, characterisation, regiments, etc, reflected that of Vigil, but I notice IMDB states in particular that "The BBC production crew was unable to obtain permission for the British Ministry of Defense (sic) to use the proper RMP crest for the production. They had to design a new crest that was at least 35% different from the real one".

Haven't seen Vigil 2.0, but I assume "British Navy" recruits from the same demographic as "London Police".

Video Mixdown
11th Dec 2023, 12:22
It is a fictional murder mystery that uses topical interest in military drones and AI as a background. That's all. I don't understand why this thread is even here.

DaveReidUK
11th Dec 2023, 12:28
I'm afraid I have more bad news - Wudyan isn't a real country, either. :O

BEagle
11th Dec 2023, 12:50
Wadya mean - it isn't?

Timelord
11th Dec 2023, 12:55
Around 2017 the BBC (I think) ran a TV mini-series "The Last Post", set during the rundown of British involvement in Yemen/Aden. Criticism of the plot, characterisation, regiments, etc, reflected that of Vigil, but I notice IMDB states in particular that "The BBC production crew was unable to obtain permission for the British Ministry of Defense (sic) to use the proper RMP crest for the production. They had to design a new crest that was at least 35% different from the real one".

Haven't seen Vigil 2.0, but I assume "British Navy" recruits from the same demographic as "London Police".

Ah, OK, that explains a lot. It’s an Intellectual Property thing. Actually, as a drama, I thought it was OK.

XV490
11th Dec 2023, 13:02
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1124/img_20231211_135316996_hdr_e25d127fbce834e20e310ce9c9ca52f89 9661ed5.jpg

​​​​​

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
11th Dec 2023, 13:07
Ah, OK, that explains a lot. It’s an Intellectual Property thing. Actually, as a drama, I thought it was OK.

Likewise. I await season 3, probably about a crime in a barracks somewhere. That'll even all three services up !

NEO

charliegolf
11th Dec 2023, 13:24
What is it with the cap badges and wings? Is it just ignorance or are they suggesting a different organisation to the RAF?

I wonder if it's because the RAF didn't want to be associated with it? Wild guess.

CG

charliegolf
11th Dec 2023, 13:33
The fact that these programs tend to ignore basic levels of detail suggests that either they are ignoring the advice from researchers or they're really just not bothered.

I spent a day at Odiham filming the Puma bits for the pretty poor series, 'Squadron', with Michael Culver in the cast. To Turin's point, the researcher/continuity gal was well on the ball! "Why are you wearing that and he (the pilot) isn't?" It's SH luv! Crewmen used to pass a few details to the pilot immediately prior to lifting off in them days... "Last time you gave the weight then the pitch, but this time you gave the pitch first, why is that?' He ignores me anyway, so it doesn't matter! But to her credit, she was spot on. Every actor was dressed properly too. (Bearham saluted Gp Capt Culver!)

CG

Ken Scott
11th Dec 2023, 13:36
Per angusta ad augusta…?

I gave up Latin at school over 45 years ago so I’m a little rusty… google translate struggled with this too but came up with ‘through difficulties to August’… I assume they went with a motto that looked about right rather than one that made any sense?

Not watched it yet, we’re still on series 1. Yes, it’s hokum and you have to ignore the inaccuracies (I’ve never spent much time on a sub except for the odd visit and I can spot a load of them) but as drama it’s entertaining enough.

You do though have to question the sense in selecting a DCI who’s recently undergone enormous trauma, losing her fiancée in a tragic accident in a sinking car from which she barely escaped with her stepdaughter (spoiler alert) and is on antidepressants for extreme anxiety & claustrophobia, for a job on a submarine…!

pasta
11th Dec 2023, 13:47
You do though have to question the sense in selecting a DCI who’s recently undergone enormous trauma, losing her fiancée in a tragic accident in a sinking car from which she barely escaped with her stepdaughter (spoiler alert) and is on antidepressants for extreme anxiety & claustrophobia, for a job on a submarine…!
You'd be amazed - I've been reading a series of books about a detective in a sleepy seaside town who seems to be taken hostage by a different homicidal maniac every few months...

VictorGolf
11th Dec 2023, 15:03
Are we allowed to know if the "drones" accurately portray the capabilities of the real thing or is that poetic licence as well?

Timelord
11th Dec 2023, 15:10
Are we allowed to know if the "drones" accurately portray the capabilities of the real thing or is that poetic licence as well?

They seem to have an awful lot of firepower for their size.

VictorGolf
11th Dec 2023, 15:20
That's what I thought but seeing what's going on in the Ukraine, perhaps it is an accurate representation.

Timelord
11th Dec 2023, 15:21
I wonder if it's because the RAF didn't want to be associated with it? Wild guess.

CG

I’m sure, but I didn’t realise MoD had the power to stop film makers using military insignia.

brakedwell
11th Dec 2023, 15:43
Can I have one of those Orrificer cap badges please!

WB627
11th Dec 2023, 16:17
I'm afraid I have more bad news - Wudyan isn't a real country, either. :O

Wudya know it :ugh:. Booked my next holiday there :{

Mogwi
11th Dec 2023, 16:18
I gave up Latin at school over 45 years ago so I’m a little rusty… google translate struggled with this too but came up with ‘through difficulties to August’… I assume they went with a motto that looked about right rather than one that made any sense?

Latin augustus "venerable, majestic, magnificent, noble”. Still doesn’t make a lot of sense. My BFT course adopted the motto “ Semper in excretam pedes ponamus” Not sure if the endings were correct but then I did give up Latin for woodwork - and never regretted it!

Mogus

pax britanica
11th Dec 2023, 16:28
I think that in general anyone who watches mainstream TV series that covers their industry finds a fair number of faults which means of course that pretty much everything is full of erors its just that theyare not noticed by the majority of watchers who are not, pilots, police officers, lawyers etc etc etc.

Having done the police vs RAF/RN they might be tempted to do an army one but if the words Deepcut mean anything to you then again they might not. I tend to watch more non UK TV these days, Chan 4 World Drama and the like.which i enjoy and find less politically 'aware' but I do often wonder if French cops watching Spiral say scoffed at various scenes or Malmos CID thought Saga Norens uniform colleagues wrongly attired.

Akrotiri bad boy
11th Dec 2023, 16:53
I too was involved in "Squadron". My bit part revolved around some banana republic uprising leading to the evacuation of the embassy staff. The banana republic was Akrotiri where the filming took place on a redundant V force dispersal pan. The after shoot beer call was a hoot where it was revealed the production crew had previously worked on the kids programme Rainbow. I think as far as RAF operational advice was concerned the production crew for "Squadron" had relied on input from their previous team of advisors: Zippy, Bungle and Geoffrey.

Asturias56
11th Dec 2023, 16:56
Members of Joe Public may be completely oblivious to some of the inaccuracies, but for anyone even remotely associated with the military, it is pure cringe. Sometimes shows are so bad, they are good. This is so bad; it's just...bad.

yup - its FICTION -

Yes its good when they get the little details right but it doesn't make any difference to the story for 99% of the viewers

DaveReidUK
11th Dec 2023, 17:00

None of the services actively co-operated with either series, nor did the producers expect them to.

The use of "British Air Force" rather than RAF was intentional.

Gordon Brown
11th Dec 2023, 17:07
None of the services actively co-operated with either series, nor did the producers expect them to.

But the vast majority of the audience won’t know that.

DaveReidUK
11th Dec 2023, 17:32
But the vast majority of the audience won’t know that.

The vast majority of the audience probably couldn't care less.

Diff Tail Shim
11th Dec 2023, 23:19
This is a jet blast subject and sod all to do with current military aviation.

NutLoose
11th Dec 2023, 23:33
Little titbit.

When they filmed the Dambusters the cast wore brown shoes so the permanent staff could recognise the actors and not salute them etc, being brown on the black and white film they appeared as black.

The cap badge almost appeared to have the brass disc that went on the inside of the Beret on the outside polished up.

Diff Tail Shim
11th Dec 2023, 23:54
A subject that is actually fooking something to do with current military aviation.. Just. 6 Typhoon Sqn RAF have been given the Spotty Jaguar.

NutLoose
12th Dec 2023, 00:00
That’s old News..

Diff Tail Shim
12th Dec 2023, 00:03
That’s old News..
They ain't said it yet. Cosford and Lossie have mind.

Wizofoz
12th Dec 2023, 00:08
I’m surprised there’s been nothing about this…so far! And, for our non-BBC-watching denizens it does have ‘some’ aviation content, as, according to the Radio Times it is set within the ‘British Air Force’ (sic)…whatever that is!!!

But, to be honest, I’m not really able to comment as I only lasted 10 minutes…and that was nine minutes too long!!! https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies2/eusa_wall.gif I thought it was execrable; from the ‘acting’, to the stilted dialogue, to the scenario, and, even the uniforms - just what was the ‘cap badge’ worn by the Wg Cdr in the opening scenes?!? :ooh:

‘Not for you, James’, I thought as I turned over to BBC4 to watch a fascinating 1985 ‘Omnibus’ documentary about the recording of ‘West Side Story’ with Bernstein conducting…and thus was my equilibrium rebalanced!!!
I bet you sat through Top Gun boring anyone who'd listen with "well THAT isn't right...."

Diff Tail Shim
12th Dec 2023, 00:09
Back on topic, wife watched it last night and enjoyed it. She will watch it again. The British Air Ferries stuff will grate me. But I worked with so many ex BAF guys at ATC Lasham SEN, I will not take offence. As the old boys of the USN weapons school said of Top Gun Maverick. "It is not a documentary "

Gordon Brown
12th Dec 2023, 08:09
This is a jet blast subject and sod all to do with current military aviation.

What, as opposed to one on the Battle of Britain, one on OCU number plates, caption competition, YET ANOTHER one on Vulcans, to name a few ‘current military aviation’ topics on the front page of this forum?

OJ 72
12th Dec 2023, 08:12
Diff Tail Shim stated…'This is a jet blast subject and sod all to do with current military aviation.' Well, it’s probably got as much to do with current military aviation as the excellent, resurrected thread on Frederic Forsythe’s 'The Shepherd' which doesn’t seemed to have attracted his opprobrium. Indeed, one might argue, that given 'Vigil’s' somewhat, shall we say, idiosyncratic portrayal of the use of RPAS on the modern battlefield, then it does have a certain degree of relevance! However, Mods, to assuage Diff Tail Shim's conniptions if you think that this is best situated in 'Jet Blast' then please move it accordingly!

As far as Wizofoz’s 'kind' (:8) remark…' I bet you sat through Top Gun boring anyone who'd listen with "well THAT isn't right...."' is concerned, we’ll, not exactly! With a (sadly vanishingly) residual knowledge of FJ TTPs I did point out a few basic errors in 'Top Gun: Maverick' to Mrs OJ 72 whilst we were watching it in a Manchester cinema ahead of my somewhat 'inglorious' appearance on 'Brain of Britain' in 2022! However, as my right ankle was becoming increasingly bruised and swollen following the Memsahib’s 'encouragement' to ‘STFU’ (:=) I rapidly desisted from my critique!

But as far as the original 'Top Gun' is concerned, well that was required viewing for aspiring FJ aircrew in the late 80s…👏😁😎 Apart from the fact that it ruined (and embarrassed) a generation of said FJ aircrew, who, after a dry sherry (or two) insisted in trying to recreate the 'Lovin' Feeling' scene!!! 😱 🤣 Recreated, I may say, with various degrees of success on a scale of '0' to '1'!!!😬 And also trying to fit: 'I feel the need...'; 'take me to bed or lose me forever'; and, 'target rich environmen'' into every other bloody sentence seemed clever...at the time!!!

charliegolf
12th Dec 2023, 08:19
What, as opposed to one on the Battle of Britain, one on OCU number plates, caption competition, YET ANOTHER one on Vulcans, to name a few ‘current military aviation’ topics on the front page of this forum?

You forgot the Weber BBQ. Rookie oversight.:ok:

CG

charliegolf
12th Dec 2023, 08:21
As the old boys of the USN weapons school said of Top Gun Maverick. "It is not a documentary "

And, all the ones I saw talk about it thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was... a fillum!

​​​​​​​CG

NutLoose
12th Dec 2023, 09:34
They ain't said it yet. Cosford and Lossie have mind.

It's in flypast mag with pictures.

see

https://www.key.aero/royal-air-force-raf

Underbolt
12th Dec 2023, 09:51
Likewise. I await season 3, probably about a crime in a barracks somewhere. That'll even all three services up !

I look forward to our heroine investigating goings-on within the Royal Army...

2Planks
12th Dec 2023, 14:20
Is it as bad as Strike Force that bedevilled RAF Leeming in the mid 90s?

We’d been falling over cameramen and fulfilling daft requests for a few weeks when 11Gp arrived to do an AOCs inspection. After about 2 hours one of the senior members became so frustrated that he stated he couldn’t possibly run a decent inspection with the chaos. Until someone pointed out in a stage whisper that we had been trying to run a Squadron under the same circumstances for weeks.

charliegolf
12th Dec 2023, 15:41
The Beeb have responded to the whining highly informed criticism by saying that (I paraphrase) all the niff naff and trivia that people are getting their BP up over had to be changed due to copyright issues. So there you have it.

CG

OJ 72
12th Dec 2023, 16:16
charliegolf, I wonder what Auntie Beeb’s’ excuse is for the crap storyline and the poor acting! Admittedly that was in the only ten minutes that I saw!!! 🤷‍♂️ Part Two may have put Bogart, Bergman, and Casablanca in the shade…but then again…🤔🫣🤣

Video Mixdown
12th Dec 2023, 16:28
charliegolf, I wonder what Auntie Beeb’s’ excuse is for the crap storyline and the poor acting! Admittedly that was in the only ten minutes that I saw!!! 🤷‍♂️ Part Two may have put Bogart, Bergman, and Casablanca in the shade…but then again…🤔🫣🤣
In that case you’ve spent more time whinging about it here than you have watching it. How odd.

OJ 72
12th Dec 2023, 16:37
Video Mixdown - not whinging, per se, but having watched the whole of the first series I thought that I would channel my inner Barry Norman - and why not? 😁 - and try to save other poor souls from wasting six hours of their lives!!! 😉 But if you wish to adopt the ad hominem approach, then so be it!!! 🤷‍♂️😎

Bill Macgillivray
12th Dec 2023, 19:40
I have had to bite my tongue somewhat, as I am informed - correctly- that this is only a fictional programme and not a documentary! Also told that it is not aimed at us old codgers and the Royal Air Force that we served in! Again, correct! I can only relate to my years in the Royal Air Force and treat this programme for what it is - a fictional tale (good or bad as you wish to see it) and bearing little or no relation to the real thing. This is television "entertainment"!!

beamer
12th Dec 2023, 21:02
Meanwhile, back in Ambridge…….

BEagle
12th Dec 2023, 22:16
I watched the first episode on iPlayer this evening....

A query - surely a relatively lightweight drone (ooh, the 'R-PAS' geeks really hate that word!) fitted with a machine gun must suffer recoil issues? Rockets and bombs are one thing, but guns?

Nothing to do with the RAF really, just another police drama - with added '5' spookery!

reynoldsno1
13th Dec 2023, 02:19
I sometimes use the phrase as well, as many people in other places do not know which country the 'Royal Air Force' is from.

charliegolf
13th Dec 2023, 08:54
I sometimes use the phrase as well, as many people in other places do not know which country the 'Royal Air Force' is from.

I was once holding on 30 Sqn (C-130) and bagged a jolly to Nellis. Inbound to one of the en-route stops, I was on the flight deck enjoying the view and listening to the radio calls. In response to, "We are a Royal Air Force transport a/c etc...", the controller asked:
"Which Royal Air Force?"
Our hero: "The Royal Air Force!"

He still had to explain though, the controller had no clue.

CG

NutLoose
13th Dec 2023, 10:37

A query - surely a relatively lightweight drone (ooh, the 'R-PAS' geeks really hate that word!) fitted with a machine gun must suffer recoil issues?

and where did all the empty shell cases go?

Chugalug2
13th Dec 2023, 14:37
I was once holding on 30 Sqn (C-130) and bagged a jolly to Nellis. Inbound to one of the en-route stops, I was on the flight deck enjoying the view and listening to the radio calls. In response to, "We are a Royal Air Force transport a/c etc...", the controller asked:
"Which Royal Air Force?"
Our hero: "The Royal Air Force!"

He still had to explain though, the controller had no clue.

CG
Spent a pleasant evening in the Officers Club at Clark Field. Our accents were picked up by a USAF major. Are you guys Royal Air Force? Well, yes. OK, what are you drinking? Ah, San Migs! And orders another round. Despite our earnest protestations he wouldn't hear of us returning the gesture. It was the least he could do to return all the hospitality he had received from us! Naturally I enquired where that was. Why, Edmonton! Dumfounded, I could only muster a "Cheers". The shame still lingers, especially as he flew F-105s to North Vietnam for a living! No doubt I'll now be told what I should have said, but 60 years too late!

superplum
13th Dec 2023, 14:43
and where did all the empty shell cases go?

You forgot the links!

teeteringhead
13th Dec 2023, 14:53
I’m sure, but I didn’t realise MoD had the power to stop film makers using military insignia. I'm pretty sure - having been involved in such things - that they don't.

I am also very sceptical of the IPR/copyright malarkey about badges and insignia. It's fiction FFS!!

Might have to watch it now to see what the fuss is about (maybe that's their plan!!)

NutLoose
13th Dec 2023, 15:09
. I'm pretty sure - having been involved in such things - that they don't.

I am also very sceptical of the IPR/copyright malarkey about badges and insignia. It's fiction FFS!!

Might have to watch it now to see what the fuss is about (maybe that's their plan!!)

You might be dissapointed, two episodes in and we still haven't seen Beag's standing at the fence watching the aeroplanes and drones.

mopardave
13th Dec 2023, 21:49
The 'agenda' is to entertain. Nothing more, nothing less. The fact that these programs tend to ignore basic levels of detail suggests that either they are ignoring the advice from researchers or they're really just not bothered.

Any vets around that could tell us if All Creatures Great and Small is technically accurate?
Dunno about that but "London's Burning" wasn't a million miles off if that helps?

ericferret
13th Dec 2023, 22:03
Dunno about that but "London's Burning" wasn't a million miles off if that helps?

If they do one on the army it will clearly be fiction.
They couldn't possibly broardcast a program with a minimum of two F words per sentence often concluded with the C word.
I suppose things might have changed a little since I came out.

longer ron
14th Dec 2023, 07:32
We are currently watching 'Piece of Cake' for the first time in 8 years.(we have it on dvd)
More enjoyable this time around :)
MOD would not have anything to do with it so it was all done by LWT/OFMC and they obviously listened to military advisor Peter Matthews DFC and also to OFMC people on the tech/flying side.
Uniforms/Badges/ranks all spot on as with paying military compliments etc - all done correctly with no input from RAF/MOD.

No Agendas being pushed,No 'Box Ticking',sure a little irreverent at times but mostly done with dark humour :),the main actors actually have some character/personality and of course top notch pilots supplying some great flying footage - sometimes the flying scenes are done with great panache :)

Sure the purists complained of the 'wrong aircraft' being used in france but I would rather watch the wrong aircraft in action than see cgi cartoons.

Edit - and hey they actually knew what to shout to mechanics on engine starts - ''Contact'' -
Not ''Clear Prop'' which is usually used nowadays

longer ron
14th Dec 2023, 07:39
'Piece of Cake' - Lovely picture by Herbie Knott and you do see it done on video ('flying with panache')

https://i.imgur.com/sgn1oGr.png

Video Mixdown
14th Dec 2023, 19:34
They couldn't possibly broardcast a program with a minimum of two F words per sentence often concluded with the C word.
Not fiction, but did you see the recent 'Soldier' series about infantry training at Catterick? Plenty of robust language in that!

MightyGem
14th Dec 2023, 20:10
The best Army based TV drama that I've seen is "Warriors". It depicts an Army unit's UN tour in Bosnia during the war. None of your "Soldier, Soldier" or "Our Girl" malarky. Well worth a watch.
On iPlayer:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m001rk53/warriors

Maxibon
15th Dec 2023, 07:41
I just finished watching the first series on the sub. As a non-submariner (clearly), the technicalities are slightly (!) inaccurate but hey, it's telly and it was quite good fun for what it was; not a documentary. The problem is that even when we allow the TV folk in to produce a doc, we still hate the end result and we have endless threads as to the niagra of inaccuracies. Looking back, Fighter Pilot seems hugely professional compared to most of today's documentaries but we, as a military or ex military cohort are probably not the main target audience.

That said, there's no excuse for some of the actors' berets I've witnessed over the years.....

Ken Scott
15th Dec 2023, 09:28
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/284x177/img_5333_f22dead11a43ddc3974e232efa36bf9a8ea91dd1.jpeg

Even within the bounds of dramatic inaccuracies there surely must’ve been someone on set who spotted that the boat’s captain was promoted and then demoted during the series?

melmothtw
15th Dec 2023, 10:23
As I understand it, 'Vigil' is the name of the submarine in the first series. How does that translate to the second series about the BAF (that's British Air Force, in case you're wondering)?

andytug
15th Dec 2023, 11:33

A query - surely a relatively lightweight drone (ooh, the 'R-PAS' geeks really hate that word!) fitted with a machine gun must suffer recoil issues? Rockets and bombs are one thing, but guns?

A drone that small, that can withstand machine gun fire and has zero apparent recoil from firing its own machine gun? I think not!

It's a detective story, with heavy clunky emphasis on the morals of killing people with drones (inset smarmy unlikeable chap trying to sell them to foreigners here). Subtle it isn't. Having watched Shetland before it where it took ages for anything to happen (much more realistic for police work) the amount that happened in an hour in Ep1 was ridiculous really. But then it's entertainment so the more booms, jump scares, near death situations they can cram in, the better, I guess.........

Video Mixdown
15th Dec 2023, 12:08
A drone that small, that can withstand machine gun fire and has zero apparent recoil from firing its own machine gun? I think not!
It's a detective story, with heavy clunky emphasis on the morals of killing people with drones (inset smarmy unlikeable chap trying to sell them to foreigners here). Subtle it isn't. Having watched Shetland before it where it took ages for anything to happen (much more realistic for police work) the amount that happened in an hour in Ep1 was ridiculous really. But then it's entertainment so the more booms, jump scares, near death situations they can cram in, the better, I guess.........
Question is - who's the baddie? I reckon it's the obnoxious 'Sqn Ldr' who struts around as if she's got a broom handle up her backside.

Krystal n chips
15th Dec 2023, 15:33

As VM said, "Soldier " would have confirmed your suspicions...and, Infantry have now been re-branded to "Infanteers "...

However, if you want something completely surreal, try "The Kings Guard " on C5....the content is a cross between " Monty Python " and "Blackadder ", except, it's not supposed to be a comedy.

Amongst the little gems so far...the wearing of circus clown slippers in the Mess / not permitted to bring ones dog into the Mess if belonging to one Regt, but ok if with another. A lady tank driver trainee who grazed a tree whilst parking it...who would ever have known the Army were so eco minded with tanks and trees...albeit showing an Ajax was possibly not a wise move.

The last episode was hilarious...and inspection where somebody "terribly important " appeared to have, what in different circumstances would be called a boot fetish, plus people walking around with riding crops under their arm...but, the best bit was sir being shown how to stow his sword with the helpful advice about "not wanting to stab the horse "...the horse wasn't interviewed...unfortunately.

For those who think "Vigil " is dire, and have been critical of recent programmes involving the RAF, try not to laugh and vomit at the same time watching the Army doing anything but promote itself as a career....well unless you actually like inane and archaic BS and ceremonial of course.

Timelord
15th Dec 2023, 15:49
Actually, I rather admire the Guards for sticking with their “archaic BS and ceremonial” whilst everyone else caves in to the latest fads and political fashions.

Video Mixdown
15th Dec 2023, 16:20
As VM said, "Soldier " would have confirmed your suspicions...and, Infantry have now been re-branded to "Infanteers "...
No, you're quite wrong. As a group infantry are still called infantry. It is individuals who are now called infanteers rather than infantrymen, understandably as women are now recruited. I thought the two females who graduated from the course featured were very impressive.

Jack D
16th Dec 2023, 19:14
Desperately woke effort imo.
Predictable script , poor editing and awful cinematography , the lighting is akin to a school play.
We have a Sapphic / Bi leading lady with a pregnant girlfriend .. ? Achillean boys who are afraid of the consequences in a Gulf State. To round things off we only need the rather”abrupt take no prisoners “ female squadron leader to come out as trans .. and we have a full set .
I haven’t mentioned the acting , that would be unfair as many have said mere. Tv entertainment , the military aspect is secondary .

Jack D
16th Dec 2023, 20:25
Actually, I rather admire the Guards for sticking with their “archaic BS and ceremonial” whilst everyone else caves in to the latest fads and political fashions.

Me too ! poor K and C performing his usual über man of the people persona

MightyGem
16th Dec 2023, 20:51
Amongst the little gems so far...the wearing of circus clown slippers in the Mess / not permitted to bring ones dog into the Mess if belonging to one Regt, but ok if with another.
That's because they are Cavalry or Guards, and have quirks and traditions formed and honed over hundreds of years of service.

Unlike the RAF, who having only be around for just over 100 years have some strange habits. :E​​​​​​​

Jack D
16th Dec 2023, 21:00
K and C has never heard the “ Afghan bees “
those of you who were there will know .
The point of all this so called bs and ceremony is bonding ! you fight for your regiment, your company and in OZ , Mateship !