PDA

View Full Version : Cathay DEFO

744F2FO
4th Dec 2023, 13:41
Hi everyone, I have applied for DEFO, completed the DAC form, and had the first online interview. Afterward, I received an email with the medical form and a request for my latest training records, also done. Could someone tell me what to expect in the interview in Hong Kong and in the simulator? Thanks a lot!!!!! :ok:

CXDOG
5th Dec 2023, 02:28
Hi everyone, I have applied for DEFO, completed the DAC form, and had the first online interview. Afterward, I received an email with the medical form and a request for my latest training records, also done. Could someone tell me what to expect in the interview in Hong Kong and in the simulator? Thanks a lot!!!!! :ok:
A hall mark of what Cathay is looking for in a pilot is people who can find out answers to things without being spoon fed. They therefore assume that you will have trolled through hundreds of pages of, admittedly now older, threads on Pprune dedicated to this exact subject. There are publications to search for online that describe the typical Cathay interview and simulator profile. Depending on what you fly now, they might like to see that you have paid for a practice sim profile in the assessment aircraft type. It shows you are serious and self motivated. Perfect for CX as then they don’t need to actually spend much on training when you’re in the company - they just assume you’ll turn up ready to go.

Gordomac
5th Dec 2023, 09:25
CXDOG; Darn. Beat me too it. Also, my larf of the day. Cheers. Oh, Where were you when I could have used that advice in 1978?

AQIS Boigu
5th Dec 2023, 10:27
Tell them about the FDMM

AviatorPac
15th Dec 2023, 21:29
How long after your initial application to them did it take to hear back from them?

I submitted an application a week ago but so far radio silence...

AviatorPac
15th Dec 2023, 21:49
Anyone here recently been through the DEFO application process with CX? I applied a week ago but so far radio silence.

Wondering what other's experiences have been.

GGGrrr
16th Dec 2023, 07:09
Anyone here recently been through the DEFO application process with CX? I applied a week ago but so far radio silence.

Wow, one whole week and still no reply?!? Absolutely unacceptable!!!!

pill
16th Dec 2023, 11:41
If Sully applied, I suspect it would take them more than a week to get back to him.

AviatorPac
16th Dec 2023, 16:49
If Sully applied, I suspect it would take them more than a week to get back to him.

Not sure…. Sully is pretty awesome 😅

BrownCony
17th Dec 2023, 23:13

relax man, in my case more than a year but ya i’m here 😂

SOPS
18th Dec 2023, 03:50

It’s not McDonalds!!! Things take time.

Gordomac
18th Dec 2023, 08:53
My three applications took 20 years and I still didn't get in.

Silent Treatment
18th Dec 2023, 11:56

Seems like they've reached their desired number of crew. If anything, they are overmanned

AviatorPac
18th Dec 2023, 14:29
Seems like they've reached their desired number of crew. If anything, they are overmanned

what makes you think that?

cadet7000
18th Dec 2023, 17:51
From the sounds of it unlikely any DEFO's will be taken on for a while. Company seems to be focusing on upgrading current SOs. Massive backlog of cadets in the pipeline waiting for their type rating means that the training system is already at / over capacity. Adjustments to SO upgrade training means it doesn't make as much sense to hire external DEFOs for the company.

Klimax
18th Dec 2023, 21:52

LMFAO. Call your mummy and ask for sympathy. Jez.

Klimax
18th Dec 2023, 21:54
It’s not McDonalds!!! Things take time.

Pretty close now a dayz bru! Actually a McDoe manager might take offence being compared to a Cathay Pathetic FO!

chribuch
19th Dec 2023, 14:29
What a bunch of strange people here.
I applied mid October and the first interview was a couple of weeks later.
Then they required a bunch of papers and got back a couple of weeks later.
I'm now invited for the simulator in Feb. Big company require lots of time with bureaucracy, normal procedure.

AviatorPac
20th Dec 2023, 19:25
What a bunch of strange people here.
I applied mid October and the first interview was a couple of weeks later.
Then they required a bunch of papers and got back a couple of weeks later.
I'm now invited for the simulator in Feb. Big company require lots of time with bureaucracy, normal procedure.

yeah some of the people here are bizarre aren’t they.

im simply looking for some gen.

I used to work for CX and already have the ATPL and type ratings. Was simply wondering if people are hearing back reasonably quickly or not.

Zulu85
8th Jan 2024, 14:50
Hello AviatorPac,

Any news from CX so far ?

Zulu85
8th Jan 2024, 15:38
Hey!

When are you going to HK ? Have you ever done online psychometric tests ?

AviatorPac
14th Jan 2024, 17:15
Hello AviatorPac,

Any news from CX so far ?

Hey Zulu! Radio silence thus far.

Have you applied?

Mr.DG
22nd Jan 2024, 14:07

Could you share with the questions they did ask ? have the upcoming online interview with CX Have the same sooner .

Klimax
22nd Jan 2024, 20:53
Could you share with the questions they did ask ? have the upcoming online interview with CX Have the same sooner .

1. They will for sure ask you if you have re-searched what kind of employer Cathay Pathetic Airways is.
2. They will ask you if you have used PPRuNe as a source of information gathering.
3. If your answer to point 2 was YES, you will for sure be hired. This will be ultimate sign they look for, that you are willing to join one of the most toxic airline companies in the world, despite all the factual information available indicating what a stand out company this is, and you´re still willing to join.

Don´t worry about anything else in the "hiring process". Nobody in that company seems to care anymore. It´s all about management pulling their bonus´ and leaving. It´s a sick airline and it has been like that since 2001 - it only got worse and worse, year after year. Nothing, nada, nichts, left to admire about it! But hey - good luck mate!

AviatorPac
23rd Jan 2024, 04:26

Hey Mr DG

When did you apply and how long did it take to get the online interview?

Mr.DG
23rd Jan 2024, 12:28
Hey Mr DG

When did you apply and how long did it take to get the online interview?

Hi Aviatopac, 3 days after my application. Rated on FO 747-4.

AviatorPac
24th Jan 2024, 07:25
Hi Aviatopac, 3 days after my application. Rated on FO 747-4.

That’s a very fast reply!

mind if I ask when you applied?

I and another I know applied but still haven’t heard back.

WhatShortage
25th Jan 2024, 01:46
That’s a very fast reply!

mind if I ask when you applied?

I and another I know applied but still haven’t heard back.
You either must be desperate for a job or be from southeast Asia to join CX, be used to low wages and be treated like a dog.

aiellosky
26th Jan 2024, 05:51
I applied for DEFO and got the email for the online interview. Got a date and time confirmed , strangely nobody showed up for the interview, no emails or anything from them. I sent a message on their email but also no reply.
Has anyone have had this before? How to proceed?

thanks

Mr.DG
26th Jan 2024, 06:14
I applied for DEFO and got the email for the online interview. Got a date and time confirmed , strangely nobody showed up for the interview, no emails or anything from them. I sent a message on their email but also no reply.

thanks
hi there!
As I understand the order is application , next completion of DAC 607 form next is dates available for the online interview. But may order changes.

good luck!

cxflog
26th Jan 2024, 06:23

thanks
I mean that should tell you everything you need to know about the type of company Cx is, and the style of management that is utilised across all departments. Food for thought!

aiellosky
26th Jan 2024, 08:54
hi there!
As I understand the order is application , next completion of DAC 607 form next is dates available for the online interview. But may order changes.

good luck!

Well i hold a HK License already!
i did the application and got the invitation for the online interview.

AviatorPac
26th Jan 2024, 20:08
Well i hold a HK License already!
i did the application and got the invitation for the online interview.

hey aiellosky, when did you apply?

maplestory
24th Feb 2024, 11:43
just got the emai that i am shortlisted
and I sent them DCA607.
Do you guys know how long does it take to get an interview after this?
I applied about 2 weeks ago.

AviatorPac
24th Feb 2024, 18:30
just got the emai that i am shortlisted
and I sent them DCA607.
Do you guys know how long does it take to get an interview after this?
I applied about 2 weeks ago.

Very much a mixed bag. Some here back straight away and others take a couple of months.

You will hear back though, especially if they've asked you for a DCA607 and you meet their requirements.

maplestory
25th Feb 2024, 04:23
Very much a mixed bag. Some here back straight away and others take a couple of months.

You will hear back though, especially if they've asked you for a DCA607 and you meet their requirements.
Thanks. preapring interview with LPJ right now lol

Meursault
6th Mar 2024, 22:57
13th and profit share not guaranteed, but this year we got both ( ps exact number not yet announced)

No lease required, housing assistance or however it is called these days is yours. 20k (17.5 after tax) will not cater for a suitable accomodation.

Everything the company pays you except per diem and pension contribution is taxable.Per diem depends on the destination, roughly 70-150 USD/day. Schooling expect a short fall of 500-1000 USD per child, inform yourself on debenture rules if applicable.

Hours depend on the fleet. Generally very high right now, some up to max 900. Bear in mind this can change anytime, and crucially the company can lift the threshold for productivity pay at their leisure.

Upgrade to CN depends highly on fleet and whatever number it is be aware this is a snapshot and not a reliable indicator for newjoiner. Airbus currently 6-7, Boeing 747 11. Right now the company is struggling to get back to the pre-covid fleet size, once this has been achieved (end 2025 ish), upgrade time will probably increase again, historically 11-12 yrs ish. SFO could be 2-3 right now, but not sure. In the past 4-5 on average.DFO and DEC are always a possibility.Be aware that assigned fleet is a lucky draw, and that includes later fleet changes and upgrade. It could be the 320, which to my knowledge offers zero productivity pay.

Again, the big risk is the variable factor in our "contract". Productivity pay threshold is completely at their discretion, expect them to ruthlessly adapt it to the current market environment. If at some point in the future they don't have manpower concerns anymore we are sitting ducks.

cygnet78
7th Mar 2024, 00:43
Nice . When will DEC coming ? Many are waiting. hahahaha

mngmt mole
7th Mar 2024, 04:54
Unless you are desperate for a flying job, and hopefully single without kids...then come to CX for a few years. A career it definitely is not. A sadder more depressing airline is difficult to imagine. Tragic in the truest sense of the word.

Meursault
7th Mar 2024, 08:06
The more you exaggerate the less believable you become, at least in my opinion.No offense.

cygnet78
7th Mar 2024, 08:31
Its true.. many more are interested in CX jobs. Just hope that the task force will take charge of the recruitment and accept ALL. those who didnt make it will keep applying after "cooling" period. eventually they all will be accepted.

Skippy69
11th Mar 2024, 21:25
What would happen that if after one was offered a job, the said pilot attempted to negotiate their contract?? Say go to an FO3 pay or ask that they be paid the 2017 rates etc?

Bekol delay
11th Mar 2024, 21:58
What contract Skippy? You are agreeing to a handbook, unilaterally amendable at any time and for any reason. If you don't sign it, then goodbye.

Skippy69
11th Mar 2024, 22:20
If they're short of pilots and you do a good job in the sim (Prior preparation prevents piss poor performance), you meet the requirements (3000 hours min ain't exactly nothing), if you have what they're looking for, and pilot attrition is an issue, why couldn't you ask for a better deal?

I get it, they're Chinese tyrants now, but just an idea, rather than accept what is seemingly a crap sandwich. What if you said you had offers from other airlines? I mean, look at the Australian company Network Aviation, standing up for what a pilot is worth?

iBlueGoose
11th Mar 2024, 23:21
Does anyone know what questions they ask in the Final Interview?

KABOY
11th Mar 2024, 23:54
If they're short of pilots and you do a good job in the sim (Prior preparation prevents piss poor performance), you meet the requirements (3000 hours min ain't exactly nothing), if you have what they're looking for, and pilot attrition is an issue, why couldn't you ask for a better deal?

I get it, they're Chinese tyrants now, but just an idea, rather than accept what is seemingly a crap sandwich. What if you said you had offers from other airlines? I mean, look at the Australian company Network Aviation, standing up for what a pilot is worth?

The only problem with your line of thinking is that you are not supported on a contractual level. They can agree to your terms and write a letter accepting this, but then revoke it through a notice stating that all new employees will be employed under xxx terms.

The point here is this is not a contract, unlike your fellow pilots at Network who are trying to improve a contract.

CX employ pilots under a handbook, try and find a definition of that and what protections it affords you ( HINT: look inside the document and its only there you will find it)

Bekol delay
12th Mar 2024, 01:09

Pilot retention is a massive issue, trainers are refused sabbaticals, or to resign from training, so they leave. CNs have no control over rosters or annual leave, they leave. FO's same same. SO upgrade times are still around 6 years and they are watching DEFO/DEC get hired ahead of them.

These are crew whom CX has had for years, they know the standard and have sailed through all the old CX requirements and they are walking out the door, yet nothing is being done to stop it.

Good luck on getting your magical FO3, when all the old SFOs were demoted back to FO2 (the top one that exists)

Skippy69
23rd Mar 2024, 19:56
It's no secret that absolutely once upon a time Cathay was a world leader but now, with the way that COS18 was forced on people- pilots took action with their feet and left. Cathay certainly have a feeling of desperation to get pilots. And have tarnished what was a pretty glittering reputation as a an attractive company to build a career at.
I do have a feeling though, that especially amongst SO's that join they are very much chasing,"Yes" men and women as opposed to professionals who perhaps know their worth and also lack the shiny jet syndrome.

Can anyone who is a bit clever give some form of breakdown in what salaries where pre Covid in comparison to now?

I don't mean with percentages, but dollars, and then obviously there is inflation to be annually added.

Also, how does the base Salary @ HKD$900,000 stack up against living a life in Hong Kong?

cygnet78
24th Mar 2024, 05:48
no one will tell. its so good that your eyes will blink. it remains a well kept secret for decades.

vIrot8
30th Apr 2024, 20:34

What did you get asked in your first online interview? I've got one coming up.

TIA

SunnyTheSemen
30th Apr 2024, 20:57
Sim was an engine failure at v rotate, followed by all fmcs failing at 5000, way back fire in avionics , goes out on runway . Massive tailwind on final airport lighting was really poor in sim with bad weather

Ton747
1st May 2024, 03:23
Hi does anyone know how strict CX are on minimum hour requirements, I’ve noticed they’ve just changed and although I’ve got the 500 hours on a heavy jet, I’m lacking the total flying time by a few hundred hours, in addition to the P1 requirements…

dt354nds
2nd May 2024, 19:01
Heya,
Anyone have done the CX DEFO assessment in 2024. Would you shed some light on the process.....

(1) Is sim assessment on airbus or boeing. Talent Acquisition Officer said: sim briefing would be available 1 week before the check. so I reckon it would be 330 or 777 ( whichever sim is available on the day). hopefully not on both.....!

(2) For HR & tech interview. any specific topic they would like to ask ? ...... eg destination, fleets, new A/C orders, why CX, why HK..... current type ( boeing guys would get HYD system A and B, airbus guys would get fly by wire, control laws...etc)

(3) In the past, people was told which fleets they would get before the assessment. The new application process is different, not as much info was given as in the past....anyone could get anything (320 or 350 or 777 or 747)? Whats the time frames for a possible start date after passing the assessments.....?