PDA

View Full Version : Gaz Bennett - In memoriam

TqNrT4NgGreenlightCWP
2nd Sep 2002, 21:08
Gaz Bennett AAC - In Memoriam
It is with the deepest regret that I pass on the tragic news that Gaz Bennett, late AAC, has passed away suddenly.

Gaz was out jogging near his home in Worcestershire last Friday, when he collapsed with a brain haemorrhage. His wishes were respected in that his organs have been donated, and he was pronounced dead on Saturday morning. He was 42. He leaves a wife, Sara, and two sons, Adam and Sam.

Gaz was a Royal Artillery Lance Bombardier when I first knew him - we were both Acm(O) together in 664 Sqn, Minden. He went on to become a well respected Lynx Pilot and Aircraft Commander. Those who knew him in 655 would recall that he was 'Mr RNS252', and always willing to help those new to the beastie.

He left the service two years ago, and was flying for the County Air Ambulance, twin based at both Strensham Services on the M5, and at RAF Cosford.

The funeral is on Friday 6 September, at Birlingham Parish Church, Nr Pershore in Worcestershire, at 1215. Again, Gaz's wishes were known in that he did not want any military uniforms at his funeral - please respect that if you do wish to attend and pay your respects. All are welcome. Sara, his wife, has asked that flowers come from family only; however there will be a collection in the church in aid of the County Air Ambulance.

For the geographically non-gifted, take J7 on the M5 (if coming from the North) and follow A44 SE'ly to Pershore. Then take A4014 SW'ly towards Defford. Take a left turn onto the B4080, and Birlingham is a left turn shortly after joining that road. From South, take J8 M5, J1 M50, N on A38, right onto A4014 towards Pershore, then as above.

Nothing else to say really, is there? Whatever I put here will be inadequate

(Posted on both Rotorheads and Mil Aircrew for wide dissemination - please do not merge!)

Q max
3rd Sep 2002, 10:09
Very sad, only 42, kids, family, etc terrible

- but is there a chance that something positive can come out of this?

An early mentor of mine (ex-navy) had simialar brain haemorrhage.

Is there a higher incidence of this condition with exposure to vibration?

If so can we save pilots in the future?

Anton van Dellen
3rd Sep 2002, 14:09
Only met Gary briefly on a few occasions when he swooped down to fetch a patient. Fine pilot and certainly saved the life of one little girl bleeding internally from a road accident. Amazing piece of flying.

A loss for the Midlands.

Best wishes to his family.

Anton
Staffs

TqNrT4NgGreenlightCWP
6th Sep 2002, 21:15
Gaz Bennett was today sent off on his final posting.

His Father, Fred, has asked me to post this to say thanks to everyone who came to see him off, and to those who were unable to for whatever reason yet sent their thoughts and wishes over this means.

I printed off all the replies received up to 0530 this morning, and took them to the funeral service to give to Sara, his wife. Maxchat had the same idea - so at least she now has two sets!

May I use this medium to say that I thought the medics, pilots and crewmen (and women!) of the County Air Ambulance were absolutely magnificent. I have been unfortunate enough to have attended more than my share of military funerals, with full pomp and circumstance. Today, the crews who lined the church path on the way in, in their red flight suits were every bit as dignified as any honour guard. I was also deeply moved by how many of them were visibly emotional as Garry was carried out of the church. It is not very often one sees a roughty-tufty ex-rock ape showing his feelings as we were privileged to see today.

It was clear to the many serving and retired AAC members attending today that Gaz was held in at least as high regard by his colleagues in the Air Ambulance as he had always been in the Army.

May I also say, on a deeply personal note, that Gaz would have been so proud of his son , Adam, today. Adam proudly carried his Father's flying helmet in to the church and laid it upon the coffin. If that were not hard enough, he then stood and read a poem in memory of his Father - he spoke clearly, and so obviously proudly, that I was moved to tears - not for the first or last time today.

My 'handle' has been so obviously compromised by this, so I welcome any old pals getting in touch via my real e-mail which is [email protected]. TqNr etc will ride no more - well, at least not on any contentious posts.