PDA

View Full Version : Suitcases

PAXboy
29th Nov 2023, 12:25
In the market for a new - affordable - large suitcase for long haul next year. Before I detail the problems and costs that I have experienced, please tell me yours. I am not looking for brands (as that would be against PPRuNe rules) rather, I want to talk about TYPES and STYLES of cases.

I first travelled long haul some 58 years ago when cases were very heavy before you put anything into them. I had my first case with wheels in 1975 and have much experience! Please let rip ...

Asturias56
29th Nov 2023, 15:32
I have a truly hideous soft sided one that seems infinitely expandable - it's so horrible I can see it a mile off. Far better than the old hard sided ones..............

S.o.S.
29th Nov 2023, 16:57
I have hard sided cases broken by the system - just as much as soft-sided. I say 'the system' as it is not possible to know which human, which conveyor, which automated system did the damage. As a result, I now only buy soft-sided cases.

Kiltrash
29th Nov 2023, 17:20
Once we flew into San Fran and did not so much as collect our case as was given by the handlers a couple of plastic sacks as the case had disintegrated after we checked it in at Mexico City. Fair play to Aeromexico they 'gave ' us a lovely 'Hercules ' hard shell as it was their fault..4 wheel steering and we have used it the last 8 years. There is no way the loaders can harm this beauty ..Easily swallows 22Kg ..and more if we can get away with it 😁

reynoldsno1
30th Nov 2023, 00:49
Have two soft sided cases, but they have a metal mesh between the outer and inner layers so difficult to slice open. They have been very robust.

hayessteph
30th Nov 2023, 12:31
If you are going to countries with a higher crime rate, you might like a hard shell case with a built in lock. Some for about £60-£70 online get good reviews. If you want the lightest possible, or least likely to suffer damage from impact, then soft sided. Depends on your priorities. I'm off to Guatemala shortly, I've chosen a hard shell.

Less Hair
30th Nov 2023, 13:33
I would go for a rolling two wheel duffle, like this.
https://www.thule.com/en-gb/luggage/checked-luggage/thule-subterra-wheeled-duffel-70cm28-_-3204028
Two-wheelers are easier to handle whenever you leave clean airports.

Asturias56
30th Nov 2023, 13:41
agreed - thats the best combo - 4 wheels are fine if it's flat and clean but not everywhere is

Saintsman
30th Nov 2023, 15:32
Avoid black, as that seems the most popular colour and is therefore likely to be mistakenly taken by someone else.

I've learnt that lesson.

ZFT
30th Nov 2023, 16:25
My current soft case is a Walmart special about $60 after previous case fell apart . Now 7 years old,, well over 100 trips and whilst battered and tatty, still functioning.
I gave up buying expensive, branded bags a long tome ago aa apart from them being a target, airlines and airports will wreck them just as easy as cheap bags.

redsnail
2nd Dec 2023, 10:01
I travel a lot and have definitely tested a few cases. If it's going into the hold, hard shell from a reputable brand. I put a security strap around it as well to distinguish it. I rarely use black for the aforementioned reasons. Soft cases are too easily damaged and can get soaked through in a heart beat. Don't get the absolute biggest as it's easy to exceed the permitted weight.
For peace of mind, I throw an AirTag in it so I know where it is.
Since Covid, I have not checked a bag in so have now reverted to a cabin size spinner.

IBMJunkman
2nd Dec 2023, 15:35
Soft sided case can be sliced open.

Zippers can be opened with any pointed object.

Only hard sided with locks for me. And they are very hard to find these days. Luckily my current case gets little use these days.

Donkey497
2nd Dec 2023, 16:12
I've largely given up on hard sided cases, unless I have something large and that will not cope with bending well [paintings, clocks or large electronics displays - don't ask....] Over the past decade & more of work & holidays all over the northern hemisphere, I've settled on a series of soft duffles. I tend to go for the type that have detachable sholder straps to turn them into a ruicksac and for the larger ones the addition of a couple of wheels to make them drag-able over rougher ground.

I've also favoured different construction for different routes. Where there is a chance of the bags being outside in inclement conditions, I've tended to favour a Scandinavian based manufacturer with matching initials who also do yacht & offshore work clothing. I agree with the advice from Saintsman & Redsnail - avoid black, Luckily they do a range of colours & fabrics. I prefer the barrel type duffel in international orange colour in the vinylised polyester fabric & welded seams. Largely bomb-proof and very robust zippers & padlocking arrangments. For trips where I'm likely to be more on the road than in the air, I've a preference for an american manufacturer named for a generic raptor and small river, Broadly similar to the Scandinavian manufacturer, except they are squarer and come with multiple attachment and tie down points, being designed for use unprotected on a roof rack, they are pretty weather proof as long as you place them sensibly. I tend to use extra coloured luggage straps around them helps to ID them and saves lookiing for something to tie them onto the roof rack if needed.
ZFT has good advice too. I've a couple of Walmart origin 2 wheel expandable cases that I got about 20 years ago for not much money that have done sterling service. Also I'd suggest that you might want to pre-distress your case. If you can put some distinctive marks on it, it makes it easy to pick out at the other end.

PAXboy
2nd Dec 2023, 16:18
My thanks to all. Your stories largely mirror my own experience. The Spinners have become dominant and they are fine for airports and modern train stations. As soon as you move onto real pavement and car parks? the wheels get shredded by the tarmac. Getting replacements seems like a fools game as so many places say they can and - when faced with the case - suggest you buy a new one! You can buy replacements online but I'm not sure that is going to work either.

One or two companies are offering removable wheels - at bag drop - so am looking into that. My earliest 2-wheeled cases had retracable wheels and, whilst I saw articles about a new case with that feature - they are all dated 2015 and the company no longer has them on their website.

For journeys to South Africa, we do wrap the bags at LHR but their prices are getting ridiculous. The bag wrap at JNB is cheaper than LHR - even allowing for the rate of exchange! The staff are faster and friendlier too.

I am not planning on going to South America but thanks for the warning.

RevMan2
4th Dec 2023, 04:09
Hard shell, 4 wheels, expandable, weight max 4kg.

Size (W x H x D): 50 x 78 x 30/35 cm
Handle height (fully extended): 103 cm
Volume: 111/129 l
Weight: 3.7 kg
Material: 100% polypropylene (outer material) / 100% polyester (inner material)

Had one to this spec for around 5 years, between 10 and 15 legs p.a. (mix of short and longhaul, loads between 23kg and 30kg, as good as new

Mr Mac
4th Dec 2023, 06:14
4 Wheeled American made for cabin and a Kevlar soft sided for hold when required. The later has done 23 years service but unfortunately the company no longer makes them ☹️

I have a shoulder Canvas bag made by a company in Carlisle that also sees extensive use. On my second in 30 years, Mrs Mac calls it my Palin Bag after the presenter, who used something similar on his travels. My first came before Round the world in 80 days so I think he came afterwards.

Cheers
Mr Mac

Asturias56
4th Dec 2023, 07:50
I've largely given up on hard sided cases, unless I have something large and that will not cope with bending well [paintings, clocks or large electronics displays - don't ask....] Over the past decade & more of work & holidays all over the northern hemisphere, I've settled on a series of soft duffles. I tend to go for the type that have detachable sholder straps to turn them into a ruicksac and for the larger ones the addition of a couple of wheels to make them drag-able over rougher ground.

I've also favoured different construction for different routes. Where there is a chance of the bags being outside in inclement conditions, I've tended to favour a Scandinavian based manufacturer with matching initials who also do yacht & offshore work clothing. I agree with the advice from Saintsman & Redsnail - avoid black, Luckily they do a range of colours & fabrics. I prefer the barrel type duffel in international orange colour in the vinylised polyester fabric & welded seams. Largely bomb-proof and very robust zippers & padlocking arrangments. For trips where I'm likely to be more on the road than in the air, I've a preference for an american manufacturer named for a generic raptor and small river, Broadly similar to the Scandinavian manufacturer, except they are squarer and come with multiple attachment and tie down points, being designed for use unprotected on a roof rack, they are pretty weather proof as long as you place them sensibly. I tend to use extra coloured luggage straps around them helps to ID them and saves lookiing for something to tie them onto the roof rack if needed.
ZFT has good advice too. I've a couple of Walmart origin 2 wheel expandable cases that I got about 20 years ago for not much money that have done sterling service. Also I'd suggest that you might want to pre-distress your case. If you can put some distinctive marks on it, it makes it easy to pick out at the other end.

It would be a lot easier if you just gave us the manufactures names -

Brian Pern
4th Dec 2023, 10:08
In 2010, Bought a Large Hardside Spinner, from a very well known manufacturer, Model name Termo. Does not have zips, just 3 locks. This case has been all over the world, wheels fallen off and even the telescopic handle broke. It has endured many airport tarmac in Africa and the Artic, suffering wheel melting and freezing, its a bit like triggers broom (for those of us from England). In all cases the manufacturer has replaced the parts at no cost to me, even thought I have offered to pay on several occasions.
As a result, we have 3 more large cases off them, for when we go on holiday, my flight bag is theirs as well and I would recommend them to anyone.
The make, well Victor Mature played him in a 1949 film, with Hedy Lamarr as Delilah, and the rest i'll let you guess.

(Samsonite) for those who arn't sure, or are singing the Tom Jones hit in their heads...which I am doing now

SpringHeeledJack
4th Dec 2023, 10:33
I think that I have decoded all the manufacturers so far on this thread, but agree, it would be easier to mention the maker and model (if possible). As always, quality and sturdiness comes with expense and weight and in these weight restricted times, you've often lost nearly 4kgs before nary a sock has been placed within said bag or case. I suppose that it makes you disciplined, but taking presents of non-clothing items becomes a real challenge. Out of interest, when did the modern day weight limits come into being ? I can't remember tbh, but must've experienced the change.

As mentioned, the 4-wheels are great in civil surroundings, but a portable large duffel (possibly with wheels) covers most situations. When I was travelling a lot, TUMI ticked a lot of boxes for me, although they didn't do hardshell cases back then. Reassuringly expensive and part signalling to others :rolleyes: as one might do with clothing or a car etc. That Kevlar material was heavy, luckily I never had it's strength tested by some miscreant with a knife looking for valuables. Of late I have taken the cheaper solid case route bought in reputable department stores, sort of own-brand. You can feel that the quality is inferior to the well-known names, but at a fraction of the cost and so far........so good. For more 'off-grid' stuff, a large portable duffel that is waterproof. The French sports cahin Decathlon have several very decent bags, some with wheels. Only downside too large decals for my taste, but easy to see.

PAXboy
4th Dec 2023, 19:03
The finest case ever has these wheels. They are 15cm / 6" in diameter and are protected by the guard plates - which take the damage. I bought this in Munich in 1999 and have never seen it on sale again - anywhere. The company no longer sell this style. Yet, it must be readily apparent that these two wheels are brilliant for all regular roads and so forth.

This case is mid-sized, you can do a week if it's summer, or possibly even longer. I have constantly searched for a full sized version with these kind of wheels but nothing has revealed itself. All those silly spinners. Incidentally, this case was given a VERY serious workover by FCO/airline/LHR to the point where I was given a full price replacement voucher. That was in 2004. The case is still going strong as it is 'old school'.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1220x2000/20231204_184402_3f52370328e6e1edbebbbf305bad1698ea0c47b9.jpg
Another Victor Mature production.

MAC 40612
5th Dec 2023, 16:10
The finest case ever has these wheels. They are 15cm / 6" in diameter and are protected by the guard plates - which take the damage. I bought this in Munich in 1999 and have never seen it on sale again - anywhere. The company no longer sell this style. Yet, it must be readily apparent that these two wheels are brilliant for all regular roads and so forth.

This case is mid-sized, you can do a week if it's summer, or possibly even longer. I have constantly searched for a full sized version with these kind of wheels but nothing has revealed itself. All those silly spinners. Incidentally, this case was given a VERY serious workover by FCO/airline/LHR to the point where I was given a full price replacement voucher. That was in 2004. The case is still going strong as it is 'old school'.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1220x2000/20231204_184402_3f52370328e6e1edbebbbf305bad1698ea0c47b9.jpg
Another Victor Mature production.

And therein lies the problem, as no-one wants to sell you a suitcase [even at a higher price] that is gong to last you 25 years and is still going strong :)

A possible solution that has not been mentioned for your particular trip in which you state you require a large case and bear with me on this...is to buy a large hard lockable suitcase without any wheels and buy a separate foldable trolley with large wheels that you can collapse and fit inside the suitcase for transit and get out at the other end to refit and transport the case.

I have such a trolley [bought from a discount chain which is from Germany ;)] which was cheap/foldable and is rated at 50KG looks a bit the one below but I'm sure lots of others are available, it came with some bungee straps for attaching cases/equipment. I use one for transporting all my camping gear. The good thing being when the wheels eventually give up, easy to replace just the trolley as the case is still good.
Another tip if you did go down this route, take a plastic bag to put the trolley in before packing in the suitcase, that way if the wheels are wet/dirty your clothes won't be affected.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/649x711/image_2023_12_05_170532594_8466522086d12e450adb640e1a1c950d7 d28d592.png

PAXboy
5th Dec 2023, 17:24
That is an interesting solution - and I did have one like that in the mid/late 1970s! I used when going home from college for the holidays. Bungee straps did not work as they flexed too much when going up and down kerbs. Tie down straps did work. Then I got my first wheeled case, bought in Bristol.

The rolling duffle is certainly another solution but I find, when lifting them, their width make them more difficult (for me) as the centre of gravity is further away from your knee. It may also be that, having always used regular suitcases for 58 years - I am too settled into how I pack them.

krismiler
5th Dec 2023, 23:59
When travelling as crew, it’s a hard side 4 wheel case for me. Much easier to handle a spinner when you’ve got a flight bag in your other hand, and as it’s home to car to airport to crew bus to hotel and back again the surfaces are reasonably level. Leisure travel involving coach stations, ferry terminals and pavements requires two generous sized wheels. Soft sided can be better, I use a manufacturer known for packing safely which has good security features. A decent sized backpack gives hands a lot of versatility, it can be cabin luggage when travelling and a day pack when exploring your destination.

Less Hair
6th Dec 2023, 11:21
If you are crew and need the most robust stuff for daily use, consider luggage works from my view. Build like a tank but heavy. The most robust trolleys on the market. Some even fit tight 737 cockpit spaces. They are best when you carry them with you all the time, as they are too expensive to be thrown around.
https://luggageworks.com/

Impress to inflate
6th Dec 2023, 23:00
Don't buy black and don't buy if it has a zip. If your going to do a lot of travel then spend a bit more and don't buy black. Take a photo of your bag as you check it in as proof of condition if you have it damaged when you pick it up at the other end, oh, and don't buy black

MechEngr
7th Dec 2023, 01:00
This sounds unethical, and were it a matter of a valuable item with a family cherished history, that would certainly be the case but ...

Don't buy a trolley. Go to lost and found and tell them you lost one. There are a great number of them there, never ever going to be reclaimed, and when you describe yours as metal with wheels and a handle they will very likely give you one to clear it out. They are most likely to be left by people struggling to get on a plane but have no interest in wrestling with the item through TSA or into the overhead or packing it into the suitcase. They may have obtained it from lost and found themselves - the great circle of trolleys. When you are done, leave it at the luggage carousel. It will either go to other adventures or be recycled back to lost and found.

The same applies to umbrellas. Black, folds up small. Or doesn't fold up small. Pick a story and stick with it.

Mr Mac
7th Dec 2023, 04:09
With regards to the Black case discussion.
All of mine are Black and the way I have got around identification issue is by having some very bright Orange luggage tags with a White Aircraft logo on them which is slightly luminous.

They have a small metal wire hawser and a screw coupling which locks together. The tag is made of 5mm latex and are a little smaller than an iPhone and cost around £35 which seems a lot, but they are over 10 years old and and are as tough as old boots and were made in US.

In all my travels I have yet to see any others. I am sure there are other companies doing stuff similar but yet to see another one like mine also I would say if you do this a lot you get to know your bag from its various battle scars.

Cheers
Mr Mac

Asturias56
7th Dec 2023, 09:45
Or, as a mate of mine did, buy a whole set of luggage in Screaming Pink - think Barbie plus.

He never lost his luggage and TBH no-one would go near it

PAXboy
7th Dec 2023, 22:01
The cases of my lady and her daughters, are all shades of red.

Arriving long haul and feeling slightly jaded, we counted the red cases but miscounted as there were so many (a large cabin bag was in matching colour). We only discovered one was missing on reaching the hire car. Then the prolonged trip through the human systems (all saying No in the bluntest of terms) to locate it. Wasted over an hour.
Arriving short haul and picked - what I thought was - my lady's case off the carousel. Check the label and it was not. Looked around to see an identical case well advanced towards the exit. MUCH running required and caught up with the man just the other side of official Exit barrier. He apologised. Then I had to message the others to say that I had got the case but could not return as the security guard was doing his job - no criticism.

We now have unique bag tags.

Donkey497
9th Dec 2023, 21:07
Just to confirm for Asturias the brands are Helly Hansen, eagle Creek & the 2 matching expanders from Walmart were Jeep branded and picked up from the Houston Conroe Walmart's clearance shelves.

I'll check the brands for my hard sides when I get home.

PAXboy
10th Dec 2023, 10:48
A friend has just orderd a hard side case that is a spinner - but - the wheels can be removed once you reach the bag drop. As most spinners have the wheels as their weak point, this could be good. I shall report after her first trip.

Asturias56
11th Dec 2023, 08:07
Just to confirm for Asturias the brands are Helly Hansen, eagle Creek & the 2 matching expanders from Walmart were Jeep branded and picked up from the Houston Conroe Walmart's clearance shelves.

I'll check the brands for my hard sides when I get home.
Thanks!

Donkey497
13th Dec 2023, 09:53
Hard shell [Extremely Large] is a "Titan" with a carbon fibre & polycarbonate shell, very nice & highly robust, Been in service for about 15 years now & yet to accumulate any significant battle scars despite extensive use by myself & family, came courtesy of a large number of points accumulated on Etihad and seems that it would have been value for money had I spent actual money on it.
The other one is a "Jetstream", Chinese made Walmart special, hard back and sides with a ballistic nylon soft front. This was bought, purely on size, when I had bought a couple of paintings on holiday and needed something to swallow the paintings, sheet insulation board protection plus one of the bags and the contents I had used to go on holiday, so whilst it's been about the dark & scary luggage areas of airports a fair amount, it hasn't seen anything like the same amount of international use as my other options, but I have previously used it a fair bit as well for lifting & shifting costume & SFX gear to & from theatres when I used to do backstage stuff.
Both have been good servants & have many years left in them. I've been fortunate enough to be able to match what bags I needed to what type of travel I was expecting to do & if I didn't have something suitable, to be able to pick up something that was.

MAC 40612
27th Dec 2023, 19:33
This sounds unethical, and were it a matter of a valuable item with a family cherished history, that would certainly be the case but ...

Don't buy a trolley. Go to lost and found and tell them you lost one. There are a great number of them there, never ever going to be reclaimed, and when you describe yours as metal with wheels and a handle they will very likely give you one to clear it out. They are most likely to be left by people struggling to get on a plane but have no interest in wrestling with the item through TSA or into the overhead or packing it into the suitcase. They may have obtained it from lost and found themselves - the great circle of trolleys. When you are done, leave it at the luggage carousel. It will either go to other adventures or be recycled back to lost and found.

The same applies to umbrellas. Black, folds up small. Or doesn't fold up small. Pick a story and stick with it.

Not feasible [at least in the UK] as most [all?] of the major airports have effectively sub-contracted their 'lost and found' and there is now a fee to retrieve anything from them. A case in point, the elderly mother of a colleague of mine, was recently travelling through the major UK gateway and she inadvertently left her iPad in the security screening area. By the time she realised, she was on the plane. As it was only a short flight [less than two hours] she contacted her son on landing and he found that it had already been passed to the lost and found but as they are now a separate company a minimum retrieval fee of £25 [about $32] was payable and the best bit being the son actually is an employee at the airport [and he still had to pay!]

SLF3
12th Jan 2024, 18:43
But free if you are a gold card holder, I'm told.

I left my bag on the platform at Malpensa (Milan airport) railway station. Laptop, iPad, money, credit cards.... Everything except passport and one credit card (that I keep separate). Collected it from airport lost property the next day. Nothing was missing - the money (EUR 250 plus coins, GBP 200 plus coins) was in re-sealable plastic bags. They had an itemised list of everything in the bag and I had to sign for each line item. No charge. Nothing was missing.

Back to the topic: two wheels, not four. I got a Briggs and Riley bag for next to nothing in TK Maxx more than 25 years ago. Still using it. It seemed to be falling apart - when I looked I found there were holes in the lining that allowed you to access the screws holding it together. Five minutes with a screwdriver, good for another 25 years.....

421dog
13th Jan 2024, 04:56
Briggs and Riley are the bomb. I bought my wife a few pieces 30 years ago, and they just keep replacing them. I have some Tumi and they hassle me endlessly.

BlankBox
23rd Jan 2024, 21:01
Wife has a Delsey 3pc hardside 22"/26"/28" thats been going since 2002...flaming flourescent orange...and been through phillipine cock-ups multiple times. Still looks almost brand new - frenchies make good stuff...