PDA

View Full Version : Cargo Hold Temps

Coochycool
25th Nov 2023, 23:16
I was hoping that one of our learned Dogs could advise on a query from a Facebook group to which I subscribe.

Someone hoping to ship a piece of delicate medical equipment asks at what temperature is it likely to be air freighted? Which moreover made me wonder, what are the normal max and min temps achievable aboard a standard modern freighter?

My very limited knowledge tells me that whilst some bays will be pressurised, therefore potentially heated to tropical temps if necessary, others are not, and so presumably left to reduce to ambient temps, be that minus 50 or lower. Am I right? And does variable pressurisation play a part in this equation?

Thanks in advance

Cooch

deltahotel
26th Nov 2023, 01:18
Most freighters can control temperatures pretty well. What temp range are you interested in? All of our holds are pressurised and have ability to control temperatures.

sandringham1
26th Nov 2023, 07:22
One freighter, the Antonov AN-12, has an entirely un-pressurised cargo compartment with just the flight deck being pressurised, the old turbine Guppy was like that too and the more recent Boeing and Airbus Guppy style airframe component movers are the same.
Otherwise 747/767/A330/MD11 etc are airconditioned and pressurised throughout.

BraceBrace
26th Nov 2023, 09:27
There is not much more we can do than "try to keep it cool" (and the shipper then knows use of dry ice is an option). Temperature control during flights is usually nothing more than 10-25° range realistically. If we are talking long distance transport, you have to realise the container might pass Anchorage (freezing cold) or Dubai (hot hot) where the container will be offloaded and might be sitting on the apron during turnaround. Transporting horses requires sometimes cooler temperatures on the main deck, 10-15° might already be a problem and takes a while on hotter days.

But to be honest: you don't really transport "delicate medical equipment" without the shipper being notified about it. It's usually mentioned somewhere in the dangerous goods section, so there is a requirement to report it to the shipper. Temperature requirements are always a pain in the ass. For really temperature sensitive cargo, some shippers provide containers with temperature trackers.

Coochycool
27th Nov 2023, 22:35
Many thanks to all respondants. Curiosity satisfied.

Any funny stories out there as regards eggs getting poached in transit or someones cute cuddly pet arriving frozen solid?

Cooch