PDA

View Full Version : RAF Spadeadam are searching for the owner of a lost medal

NutLoose
25th Nov 2023, 17:29
Just in case someone recognises the recipient as they may not realise it is missing.

​​​​​​​An RAF base in North Cumbria is searching for the owner of a service medal which was found on the ground during a remembrance event.RAF Spadeadam said the service medal was found on the ground outside the Crown and Mitre hotel on Sunday, November 12.

The medal was handed to a member of the service personnel at the base during the event.

Enquiries were made with the Royal British Legion and the RAF Association to see if anyone recognised the name on the medal – SAC R Y Hamilton – to no avail.

There is also no ribbon on the medal, which may have fallen off, but is a general service medal with a Malaya clasp, awarded for service in Malaya.

An RAF Spadeadam spokesperson estimated that the medal was awarded between 1952 and 1962.

It is hoped that the owner of the medal, or someone who knows the owner of the medal, would come forward and retrieve it so it goes back to its rightful owner.

The service number of the recipient is located on the medal, so to make sure it goes back to the right person, the base will ask them what it is.

The base asks that any such person calls 016977 49232.

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/23944407.raf-spadeadam-searches-owner-lost-service-medal/

teeteringhead
26th Nov 2023, 08:23
Don't GSMs have inscribed name and number on the edge - mine does (although it is the '62 pattern).

Second thoughts - if it's a replacement, it may not have the name.........

ShyTorque
26th Nov 2023, 09:01

My late uncle, who was an RAF Warrant Officer in WW2, never received any of the half dozen or so medals he was entitled to, one of which was the Burma Star. From what little he told me, he left the RAF a very disillusioned man, especially after all he’d been through, when he and many of his ilk were not repatriated after the cease of hostilities for a very long time. Then, on his way home, as a passenger in a converted bomber, it crashed. He survived and was then placed in another similar aircraft, much to his dismay and disgust.

However, my father, in his latter years, became a staunch member and fundraiser for RAFA. He eventually persuaded my uncle to apply for the medals still owed to him. They eventually arrived, but sadly none of them carry my uncle’s details. My son, who was his godchild, inherited them in his will.

NutLoose
26th Nov 2023, 21:13
Don't GSMs have inscribed name and number on the edge - mine does (although it is the '62 pattern).

Did you actually read it?

​​​​​​​Enquiries were made with the Royal British Legion and the RAF Association to see if anyone recognised the name on the medal – SAC R Y Hamilton – to no avail

​​​​​​​The service number of the recipient is located on the medal, so to make sure it goes back to the right person, the base will ask them what it is.

Janda
27th Nov 2023, 08:02
I have reposted this onto a Facebook RAF group page.