PDA

View Full Version : Impounding airliners at British airports

Mooncrest
23rd Nov 2023, 11:19
I can only think of two occasions when this has happened. Firstly, at least one Genair SD330 being seized at Blackpool in 1984 due to non-payment of fees. The other is a Hispania 737 and 757 getting the legal treatment at Leeds Bradford in the summer of 1989. The 737 got a new white paint job for its tailfin too!

I'll add a third although I'm less certain about this one. Southern International towards the end of their life.

In all these cases I don't know if the airlines actually owned the aircraft outright, if mortgagors and banks had interests or if they were simply leased. I wonder if these matters were significant to the creditors?

treadigraph
23rd Nov 2023, 11:24
Wasn't the MD-80 at Gatwick impounded? Seems to missing a few bits these days... still there on Google Maps anyway.

staircase
23rd Nov 2023, 11:31
Ah, the Blackpool SD3.30.

I was working for GENAIR when it went broke. After a few days sitting at home wondering if I was going to have to rob a Post Office to pay the bills, the telephone rings.

I obviously answered and a voice asked if it was Staircase. A request for his name is refused. The voice then offers me £400 to go to Blackpool one evening and steal said 3-30, and fly it to Lydd. I told him I thought it could be done, but if he thought that I was stupid enough to risk prison for £400, and he gets £1,000,000 pounds worth of aeroplane, then he wants his brains examined!

Never heard from the voice again thank god.

Doctor Cruces
23rd Nov 2023, 11:37
Tees SIde impounded a Sudan Airways Comet in the late 60s/early 70s for non payment of fees. It had been crew training and the trainers and crews disappeared without paying for all the fuel etc. IIRC they left the aeroplane because MME wouldn't extend them any more credit to pay for fuel until they'd paid their current bill.

Three Mile Final
23rd Nov 2023, 11:45
The MD-80 is still at Gatwick, absent even more bits.

Monarch's airbuses were too, until financial terms were agreed.

SWBKCB
23rd Nov 2023, 11:47
Laker aircraft impounded at MAN

https://www.flickr.com/photos/swbkcb/3678343817/

The Flying Stool
23rd Nov 2023, 12:02
Numerous UK airlines have gone bust in recent years such as XL, Monarch and Thomas Cook to name a few. I worked at Thomas Cook. The last crew into our base on the evening they went bust were told to park on a remote stand and the aircraft was blocked in by ground servicing equipment and a lien taped into the fuselage near the forward door. The aircraft stayed like that until their leasing companies came with contract crews to retrieve their aircraft. A nasty business for all concerned.

Mooncrest
23rd Nov 2023, 12:26
I expect seizing an aircraft or any kind of valuable asset is never going to be a pleasant business but I hope in the UK at least we can be terribly British about the whole bally shebang. Trying to impound in a less lawless country could be hazardous.

Is a 'lien' some kind of court document?

Akrotiri bad boy
23rd Nov 2023, 12:31
An apocryphal story perhaps surround the impounding of an Uzbeki IL62 at MAN pending payment of handling charges. If the story can be believed the aircraft was released after a payment in kind was made, (hand woven carpets).:confused:

blind pew
23rd Nov 2023, 12:51
Nigerian Airways? 747 Was seized at Heathrow by customs after the nth time a crew member was caught smuggling drugs..close to 30 years ago..

ATNotts
23rd Nov 2023, 13:09
I expect seizing an aircraft or any kind of valuable asset is never going to be a pleasant business but I hope in the UK at least we can be terribly British about the whole bally shebang. Trying to impound in a less lawless country could be hazardous.

Is a 'lien' some kind of court document?

Isn't the normal procedure to attach a writ to the entrance door and park a snowplough strategically to ensure the aircraft goes nowhere until the bill has been paid, or the leasing company has come to a legal arrangement to take back their property.

Certainly outside of aviation you can only put a lien on good that are the property of the debtor, so in essence a leased car, for example isn't the property of the company that leases it, but of the lessor who leased to the debtor you are trying to extract money from. This was always a problem in the freight industry where a freight forwarder owned a carrier money, but when the carrier attempted to take a lien on the goods being handled on behalf of the debtor forwarder the actual owners (the forwarder's client usually) was on to the carrier pretty sharpish demanding release of their property.

All good fun back in the day. I left the freight industry in 2001 and frankly, have never missed it.

TCAS FAN
23rd Nov 2023, 13:11
First B757 to use SOU was from Air Europe when they went under. Arrived with the an EU operator’s call sign, cleared customs then off to Lasham. Why SOU? It was one of the few UK airports that Air Europe did not owe money to!

treadigraph
23rd Nov 2023, 13:17
On the lighter side....

I recall an Aztec impounded with the aid of a strategically placed JCB somewhere in the UK, NE I think.

Also, wasn't there something about Jim Espin and an incident at Popham? Can't recall the details but I think he tried to stop somebody leaving resulting in damage - went to court eventually.

jetstream7
23rd Nov 2023, 14:17
A couple more from Cardiff (CWL)

Like Leeds, a Hispania 737-300 - arrived from wherever and was impounded, passengers were not allowed to board - Hispania titles were painted out pretty quickly.

Also an Airways International Cymru BAC 1-11-300 - I can remember seeing the paperwork stuck to the aircraft.

I've seen others around the UK, but think they were awaiting new homes, rather than being impounded - Air Europa 757-200 at Cardiff, Capital BAe146-200 at Leeds and Air Europe 737-300 at Bournemouth...

Typhoon Tripacer
23rd Nov 2023, 15:05
Ghana Airways - one of the airlines' DC-10s was seized at LHR in 2002 when a British creditor of the airline got a legal judgment to recoup some of the $4.8 million it was owed. The creditor later released the DC-10 after receiving a payment of $1 million.

dixi188
23rd Nov 2023, 15:32
At Bournemouth when Metropolitan Airways went bust, a legal type person showed up to put liens on two SD3-30s, (both ex Genair). He said they had to be nailed to the mast. Rather than use nails they were stuck to the doors with tape.
Another occasion when a DanAir BAC 1-11 diverted in due to fog at Gatwick, the airport manager saw that it was an ex Airways Cymru aircraft that owed money and rushed to impound it. DanAir weren't bothered as it was at the end of the lease. About a week later it flew out to Lasham.
Further back when Courtline went under, my father was involved in recovering all the 1-11s to bournemouth. BAC's HS125 was shuttling back and forth to Luton with the pilots and my father was pre-flighting the aircraft for the ferry flights. Courtline's hangar, (66?), had a lein on the door and chains to stop the doors being opened. A 1-11 was inside but the legal people decided the lein was for the hangar and not the aircraft inside so bolt croppers were used to open the doors and the aircraft was towed out and flown away. I think it was 8 aircraft recovered in one day.

Sotonsean
23rd Nov 2023, 17:33
I can only think of two occasions when this has happened. Firstly, at least one Genair SD330 being seized at Blackpool in 1984 due to non-payment of fees. The other is a Hispania 737 and 757 getting the legal treatment at Leeds Bradford in the summer of 1989. The 737 got a new white paint job for its tailfin too!

I'll add a third although I'm less certain about this one. Southern International towards the end of their life.

In all these cases I don't know if the airlines actually owned the aircraft outright, if mortgagors and banks had interests or if they were simply leased. I wonder if these matters were significant to the creditors?

Regarding Southern International, I was thinking recently about starting a thread regarding this particular airline. I remember them well. They had a maintenance facility at Southampton Airport but I'll leave that for another day though.

browndhc2
23rd Nov 2023, 18:14
The Newcastle based Air Luton Dakota (G-AMPO) was blocked in by ground equipment and a snow plough back in 1985 when they went bust.

Musket90
23rd Nov 2023, 19:14
Some from Gatwick in the 90's - Centennial Airlines (Spanish) MD80 with court order from Irish leasing company due lack of payments, Kazakhstan B747 owed Nav service charges, Sunways (Turkish charter airline) MD80 Nav service charges, Ambassador airlines B757,

Ken X
23rd Nov 2023, 20:32
The MD-80 is still at Gatwick, absent even more bits.

It was being used as a training aircraft for the de-icing rigs last I saw it and bearing a few scars from the experience.:)

Sotonsean
23rd Nov 2023, 22:15
There was a Nigerian 707 parked at Dublin for years in the 80s/90s - I think that was impounded?

I remember that particular aircraft but Dublin is not a British Airport as covered by the title of the thread. It's a bit of a thread drift if we start including non British airports.

Jerbourg
24th Nov 2023, 09:58
I recall an Air Europe Express SH360 being impounded at GCI when the airline went under,
I think it had a tractor parked in front of it to prevent it from moving off - behind was uneven grass so no fear of it being pushed back off stand.

Spiney Norman
24th Nov 2023, 14:20
I believe the Court document used for this purpose was a ‘Mareva Injunction’. It was in the 1970’s anyway. Could well be a different process now of course. There were actually instructions in ATC documentation at Luton during that period. The document was indeed ‘nailed to the mast’. Well, actually speed taped to the main passenger door. Snow clearing equipment being parked across the aircraft nose to prevent escape. There were numerous aircraft ‘restrained’ during that time. I’m afraid I don’t remember registrations but do recall a Boeing 707-100 which diverted in ex-Stansted and was alleged to have been used by Air America. It ended up being scrapped in the engine run bay. I suspect ‘Almost Professional’ may be along shortly with more detailed recall the me!

Spiney Norman
24th Nov 2023, 14:27
I recall an Air Europe Express SH360 being impounded at GCI when the airline went under,
I think it had a tractor parked in front of it to prevent it from moving off - behind was uneven grass so no fear of it being pushed back off stand.

A good friend of mine was flying for Air Europe Express on the SH360 at this time and walked out onto the apron at Birmingham to find a fire vehicle parked in front of the aircraft. His first re-action was that the aircraft must have suffered a fuel leak. Unfortunately, the only thing that had gone up in smoke was his first airline career! Fortunately, things got a lot better for him from then on..

treadigraph
24th Nov 2023, 15:17
I’m afraid I don’t remember registrations but do recall a Boeing 707-100 which diverted in ex-Stansted and was alleged to have been used by Air America. It ended up being scrapped in the engine run bay.

Probably Aero America, recall 720 N7201U parked at Luton which was scrapped, apparently 707-123 N752TA ended her days there as well.

Spiney Norman
24th Nov 2023, 16:42
Probably Aero America, recall 720 N7201U parked at Luton which was scrapped, apparently 707-123 N752TA ended her days there as well.
I believe one of the pair was also the subject of the legendary scrap theft from the run-up bay. The 707 was in a very weathered natural metal finish with a strange tail logo somewhat like a Mexican/Inca type symbol.

edited to add. You’re absolutely correct re-Aero America. A bit of research pulled up some very nice images.

MAC 40612
24th Nov 2023, 17:11
It's normally to do with either non-payment of fees to airports, or sometimes to handling firms or for recovering engineering /support costs. Most recent example I can think of was at Heathrow, one of the FlyBe incarnations impounded in early 2020 resulted in a DHC-8 having an 'extended parking' period

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1163x844/image_2023_11_24_180701694_b5db9f6e29be1f4fbb71f7e2ab45f9ef8 c3dc036.png

MAC 40612
24th Nov 2023, 17:19
Other measures taken to impound aircraft until payment was made included, again at Heathrow in the late 1980s after carrying out a heavy check on a Mediterranean Express BAC1-11
[it may have been this one: https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1068604] the aircraft sat outside the hangars for a good while waiting to be collected until payment was received and on parking the aircraft batteries and nosewheels were removed just to make sure it didn't get flown out before full payment was received...

Colours389
24th Nov 2023, 19:29
Les Wilson (Bristol Airport Manager) made the local news showing him enthusiastically slapping on a notice impounding a passenger plane that had just landed and was about to take on a fresh passenger load and depart. I think this was in the late 80's.

DaveReidUK
24th Nov 2023, 20:04
Certainly outside of aviation you can only put a lien on good that are the property of the debtor, so in essence a leased car, for example isn't the property of the company that leases it, but of the lessor who leased to the debtor you are trying to extract money from.

I think airports work on the principle that it's the airline (which is who presumably owes them money) that suffers the most immediate hurt from the aircraft being immobilised and so has a strong incentive to settle the debt, regardless of the legality.

Spiney Norman
24th Nov 2023, 23:04
Les Wilson (Bristol Airport Manager) made the local news showing him enthusiastically slapping on a notice impounding a passenger plane that had just landed and was about to take on a fresh passenger load and depart. I think this was in the late 80's.

Ha! That doesn’t surprise me at all. Les had been SATCO at Luton and was always keen on catching debtors! His most famous ‘cop’ with us in ATC was the occasion when he attempted to stop a local AG pilot departing in his Pawnee due to an alleged unpaid landing fee.. He was invited to go forth and multiply as the pilot was only wearing swimming trunks and a motorcycle crash helmet..Fortunately Les didn’t attempt a full cavity body search for loose change…

ATNotts
25th Nov 2023, 08:15
I think airports work on the principle that it's the airline (which is who presumably owes them money) that suffers the most immediate hurt from the aircraft being immobilised and so has a strong incentive to settle the debt, regardless of the legality.
Absolutely right, but its the legalities of who actually owns the equipment against whom the creditor takes the lien, and then the waters become muddied.

To take another non aviation related example, if a bailiff were to try and take a car from a debtor and the car was financed by PCP they could be in hot water with the leasing company as they have title over the vehicle.

Sure, the airline if it has the funds it would be well advised to pay up as it would lose credit facilities across the industry and probably result in its swift demise.

WHBM
28th Nov 2023, 21:35
Even happened at London City, an operator with the extraordinarily optimistic title of World Airlines got a first 146, but ran into all sorts of admin issues which delayed them beginning for months, eventually began on LCY to Amsterdam, with thin loads. Got a second 146, and the same delaying issues happened so it was never used. Having used up all their capital, and then some, the first 146 was seized on the LCY apron, with the oldest ground services van in front of it and wheel-clamped. Sat there for about two months before it, and the airline, disappeared.

Ironically they had done 10 London black cabs in an all-over advertising promotion livery, which could be seen on the streets (and very occasionally in the LCY cab rank, which made me laugh) for the next year, until the prepaid contract expired.

Quemerford
29th Nov 2023, 05:30
Does anyone recall a (Nigerian-registered?) 707 that was impounded at Manston in the 1980s after it was discovered that the "tractor spares" it was shipping weren't? IIRC it was GAS Air Cargo/DAS Air Cargo or RN Air Cargo (all were painted on the same aircraft in quick succession).

Newforest2
29th Nov 2023, 07:15
At SOU on the 80's, the flying school was in financial trouble and all the planes parked received a warning label not to move.

GBYAJ
30th Nov 2023, 20:17
Tees SIde impounded a Sudan Airways Comet in the late 60s/early 70s for non payment of fees. It had been crew training and the trainers and crews disappeared without paying for all the fuel etc. IIRC they left the aeroplane because MME wouldn't extend them any more credit to pay for fuel until they'd paid their current bill.

teesside also impounded a hispania 737. Think it was there for months afterwards.

dixi188
30th Nov 2023, 22:05
I seem to recall that both Sudan AW comets ended up at MME. I saw them around 1974. ST-AAW and ST-AAX if my grey cells remember correctly.

WHBM
30th Nov 2023, 22:27
I seem to recall that both Sudan AW comets ended up at MME. I saw them around 1974. ST-AAW and ST-AAX if my grey cells remember correctly.
I don't think they were impounded, they had been withdrawn in Sudan and handed to a UK broker to sell. There was only one likely purchaser, and their holiday market had taken a bit of a downer with the oil price and economy problems, so they.bided their time for a couple of years until the broker was desperate. One of the pair only went for spares at the Lasham maintenance base, but the other was nicely overhauled and became G-BDIF in Dan-Air's mainstream fleet for about another four years.

Jump Complete
1st Dec 2023, 07:49
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1504/img_0407_ec7f491dd413d355914f4b021520b2ea21aa0587.jpeg
BMI Regional ERJ at Bristol a few days after they went bang in February 2019.

Krystal n chips
1st Dec 2023, 09:20
I'm sure there was a 707 at MAN, parked on the West Apron, as was, for a "very long time "....light blue / white colour scheme

Mechta
4th Dec 2023, 11:49
At the 2001 Paris airshow, a Swiss company, Noga, tried to impound some Sukhoi aircraft, in lieu of a loan that had been defaulted by the Russian Government. This also resulted in Sukhoi pulling out of the following Farnborough show too.

SWBKCB
4th Dec 2023, 14:50
I'm sure there was a 707 at MAN, parked on the West Apron, as was, for a "very long time "....light blue / white colour scheme

There were a couple that had been leased to Iran Air that we parked up awaiting work in the late 70's.