PDA

View Full Version : Vickers Vildebeest in RAF Service - Technical Question

MMHendrie1
21st Nov 2023, 10:54
Does anyone know how the Bristol Pegasus engine fitted to the Vickers Vildebeest was started? Could it be started internally, or did it need a Trolley-acc. Or did it need groundcrew outside using a crank handle?

Video Mixdown
21st Nov 2023, 12:32
Does anyone know how the Bristol Pegasus engine fitted to the Vickers Vildebeest was started? Could it be started internally, or did it need a Trolley-acc. Or did it need groundcrew outside using a crank handle?
I guess you've seen the YT video of one being started. No GSE in sight. There is somebody standing on the wing near the engine, but he's on the far side so you can't see what he is doing. Very likely a crank handle - can't think of any other reason to be there during engine start.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/553x291/vildebeest_eecd8700bf5103eceedea9c5df5dc58c6e0018d5.jpg

MMHendrie1
21st Nov 2023, 13:01
Thanks for pointing me in that direction, very helpful.

Herod
21st Nov 2023, 14:58
The Navy still operate a Swordfish, which has a Pegasus of a similar era. Might be worth asking them. I seem to recall seeing Swordfish being started, and a crank being used.

sandringham1
21st Nov 2023, 16:06
Pegasus powered Sunderland's had a 24v electric starter motor geared to the crankshaft.

Bengo
21st Nov 2023, 16:49
The Navy still operate a Swordfish, which has a Pegasus of a similar era. Might be worth asking them. I seem to recall seeing Swordfish being started, and a crank being used.

The Swordfish Pegasus had/has an inertia starter. Wind the crank to bring a flywheel up to speed then use the inertia and energy of the flywheel to start the engine.

N

Video Mixdown
21st Nov 2023, 16:55
Correct, there are lots of videos showing the Swordfish being started using a hand crank. It's on the other side from the chap in the photo above, but that could just be a design thing.

oxenos
21st Nov 2023, 17:54
Gladiator had the same, with a Bristol Mercury.

common toad
21st Nov 2023, 18:55

Possibly by the ‘bag and rope’ method - a long forgotten technique from the 1920s.

dduxbury310
21st Nov 2023, 20:33
I agree that the Pegasus-powered Vildebeests generally were started by inertia starter (there was a thoughtfully provided foot plate for the starting airman to stand on, and the crank-handle was normally stowed close to hand in another another conveniently compartment), although some may have used what was known as a gas-starter (from pressurised bottle, possibly CO2 or nitrogen). The Vildebeest IV was fitted with Bristol Perseus (sleeve valve) engine, which used an external battery for starting. My late uncle Tom was "knocked out" during the starting procedure for a Vilde IV when the engine "fired up" unexpectedly and spat a large flame out of the exhaust pipe which enveloped him. He came to in the station hospital with much of his hair (including eyebrows, etc) having been burned off, and a rather red face (but not from embarrassment). Reason he was roasted in this manner was that the RNZAF had very few external electrical plug attachements at the time, and the one he had to use was a very dodgy one which was in such a state of disrepair that an airmen was required to actually hold the unit in place against the female half, which put him right in line with the longish exhaust pipe on that side. One would hope that the offending plug was quickly repaired or destroyed. The RNZAF received almost the entire RAF fleet of Mk. IVs in 1941, ex 42 Squadron, which were displaced by Beauforts.