PDA

View Full Version : Why O levels

tstac
2nd Sep 2002, 18:43
Hello one and all,
I have a question to ask. Why is it that an O level is so important for an inteview with SQ even though u may have a degree. I would be grateful if anyone could enlighten me .
tstac

boeinglover
2nd Sep 2002, 18:56
Hi,

I was informed some time back, that a potential candidate armed with a Master degree did not manage to get through as well due to the very fact that he failed his "O" levels before. They emphasis the condition "taken at one sitting" so those who failed and passed during second try, tough luck.

The conditions are clearly stated on SIA's recruitment section on their webpage. See below!!

Requirements
- Singapore Citizens, Singapore Permanent Residents or Malaysian Citizens.
- Minimum 5 credits in the General Certificate in Education (GCE) Ordinary Level Examination or its equivalent e.g. SPM. These must include credits in English, Mathematics and a Pure Science subject, preferably Physics, taken at one sitting. In addition, applicants must possess one of the following:
(a) minimum 2 'A's and 2 'O's, including General Paper, in the GCE 'A' Level Examination (or its equivalent); or
(b) minimum 2 Principal Passes (excluding the languages; Mathematics and Science subjects preferred) and 2 Subsidiary Passes in the STPM (or its equivalent); or
(c) a Polytechnic Diploma; or
(d) a Degree.
- At least 1.65m in height. You must be medically fit and have visual acuity of at least 6/24 without optical aids, correctable to 6/6.

So no big deal being a graduate. Everyone still got to respect the conditions melted out by SIA in the first place.

Cheers

tstac
3rd Sep 2002, 13:18
boeing lover,
thanks for you reply. I agree that a degree is not worth much these days, but I believe my question was why are they so particular about an O levels.
Anyway ,I believe what they mean by "taken at one sitting" is that u cannot combined your cert if u have taken it the second time.
THank anyway.

Old Phart
4th Sep 2002, 03:20
A degree ("A" Levels too) is focussed in a particular area. "O" levels reflect the breadth of a person's general education. A BSc in, say economics for example, would not reveal much about ones aptitude in physics; a BA in English would suggest strong language skills in English while saying nothing about ones ability in mathematics or science.

Lee
4th Sep 2002, 11:44
The answer is very simple. (Good try, all of you out there).

The minimum requirement of 5 GCE "O" Levels including English, Maths and a Pure Science subject in one sitting is laid down by the CAAS (Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore) who is the licencing authority of all types of pilot's licences in Singapore.

So, really it (the minimum requirement) is not SQ's invention.

CAAS has the final say, therefore SQ (and any one who wants to obtain a CAAS Commercial pilot's licence or ATPL has to comply.

Amen.

Hermie
11th Sep 2002, 14:14
Hi,

For example if you have 3 O'Levels in 1 sitting, you would not satisfy the requirements, right.

Now you take it the 2nd time and got 5 O'Levels in 1 sitting but 2nd time does that mean you satisfy the requirement now.

Herman :cool:

Lee
12th Sep 2002, 10:28
Technically yes!

However, there are so many applicants for SQ to choose from, only the cream of the crop are invited for the interview.

Believe me, many of them are University graduates, with good 'A' level passes, and with good "O" levels, sometimes, with 8 or 9 distinctions!

Not to discourage you, (or any would-be pilots) but yes, you meet the min reguirements and best of luck to your application.

Sorry, not to forget the Polytechnic Diploma holders, with 5 or more 'O' levels who are competing for an SQ interview.

Then, there are the foreigners who also want to be SQ cadet pilots.

Don't give up that dream of yours to fly.

legin
12th Sep 2002, 21:03
hey capt lee,

what about if you get the 'O' levels req by SIA , did badly in the 'A's ,woke up,and got a bachelor's nonetheless? thanks for your input.

Lee
15th Sep 2002, 12:49
legin,

If you have a "full" 'A' level certificate, (meaning min 2 "A"s and 2 "O"s) then that shouldn't pose a problem.

Your performance at the SQ interview counts a lot too.

Best wishes.

Balthazar
15th Sep 2002, 18:44
Whilst I don't wish to detract from Lee's informative comments, any potential candidate would do well to understand the politics of pilot selection in SQ.

A pilot in SQ is an ambassador for the nation, unfortunately for the government the majority of pilots are not graduates. Even though they may be good at what they do, they don't follow the government line.

I know that the Straits Times is discussing the viability of GLC's and the likeliness of their slowly releasing their grip on Singapore, but there is still a very necessary [sic] reality that it is only "talking cock" at the moment. Now that there are government scholars in positions of power, it is likely that they will want like minded and suitably qualified individuals to join the "team". This will be manifested by bureaucratic and academic emphasis, maybe even military biased, where it is better to "fit the profile" than be keen to fly aeroplanes (and maybe even be good at it.)

Don't give up, and if you're young enough, do whatever it takes. The job, whilst diminishing in prestige and renumeration every day, is still a place for the passionate.

In fact the way things are going, it will only be the passionate, non graduates, that will be attracted to the job in years to come.

legin
15th Sep 2002, 21:13
Thanks for your reply, Lee

That's what I meant, I do not have a Full 'A' cert. That got me back on track and I'm doing very well in uni right now and also working on my inst. rating.Only worry is of course not having a Full 'A' cert would bring me down despite having a BSc( being on the Deam's list), and all the 'O' levels req.

I appreciate your clear and unbiased advice.

cheers.

Hermie
19th Sep 2002, 05:48
Hey Lee,

Appreciate the valuable info and I think its a good wake-up call for me. Its gonna be super challenging, I reckon.

Cheers,
Herman :cool:

Lee
19th Sep 2002, 12:11
Hermie,

Well, don't give up that dream of yours to fly. Best regards and good luck.

del_kat
25th Apr 2005, 15:07
look like a D7 in my O will not get me anywhere near SIA, time to give up and find a new job and get a life too

allwerp
27th Apr 2005, 10:24
I remembered reading somewhere on the net that the reason why they(MAS and SIA) only want 'O' levels/SPM results taken at one sitting is because it is believed that your taken-at-first-sitting results reflect your true aptitude and IQ...