PDA

View Full Version : Air Canada B777 ACA843 FRA- YYZ just diverted to DUB

dufc
12th Nov 2023, 18:21
Unsure if this is unusual. Seemed odd the aircraft would head for Dublin. Any info?

Saab Dastard
12th Nov 2023, 18:32
Medical emergency on board. The plane subsequently departed for its original destination at 4.22pm.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/canada-bound-plane-forced-divert-23902133

David Thompson
12th Nov 2023, 18:47
But this 777 is inbound to Dublin now after routing south down the Irish Sea and NOT as shown on the Dublin Live diagram , does that imply two emergencies in one day for the same aircraft ?

DaveReidUK
12th Nov 2023, 21:25
Medical emergency on board. The plane subsequently departed for its original destination at 4.22pm.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/canada-bound-plane-forced-divert-23902133

That article is from May 2022.

Liffy 1M
14th Nov 2023, 09:09
Air Canada has daily ops from Dublin so presumably have some company presence that may assist when there is a diversion. Dublin receives regular medical diversions from carriers such as AA, DL and LH so it seems to be a preferred airport for some airlines.

SpringHeeledJack
14th Nov 2023, 16:50
I got an alert 2 days ago and if this is the same one, it passed over Scotland/NI before landing in DUB. Bearing in mind it was a medical emergency(?), shouldn't it have landed in GLA/EDI/BFS, rather than carry on to DUB where AC have a station ?

DaveReidUK
14th Nov 2023, 17:45
I got an alert 2 days ago and if this is the same one, it passed over Scotland/NI before landing in DUB. Bearing in mind it was a medical emergency(?), shouldn't it have landed in GLA/EDI/BFS, rather than carry on to DUB where AC have a station ?

The post pointing to a medical emergency links to an article from a year and a half ago ...

wiggy
15th Nov 2023, 09:34

As a general point about these sort of problems (I say general due DR UK's comment); with medical issues on board there often isn't a need to throw the aircraft on the ground ASAP at the nearest strip of concrete, even having declared an emergency.

In the cases being discussed upthread the crew would quite possibly have been taking advice from a medical professional (certainly we used to do so, using satphone). Depending on circumstances the medics would quite often advise continued flight to airport XXX rather than the nearer YYY, for example because YYY had better medical facilities nearer the airport.

Once a decision was made on board there then often followed some dialogue with ATC and that quite often ended up with the controller requesting the emergency squawk because that can help smooth onwards progress towards wherever you've decided to go.

Fundamentally it's quite possible DUB made sense from a medical and a company POV.

SpringHeeledJack
15th Nov 2023, 20:31
Thank you Wiggy for your in-depth insider's viewpoint.