PDA

View Full Version : T31 airport Mc Kinney, Texas 11th Nov

ORAC
12th Nov 2023, 07:20
T31 airport in Mc Kinney, Texas yesterday.
https://x.com/thenewarea51/status/1723430989437817263?s=61&t=rmEeUn68HhlFHGKbTPQr_A

treadigraph
12th Nov 2023, 08:42
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/347796

Lancair IV-P

Preliminary information indicates the aircraft experienced pressurization problems shortly after reaching FL250. A rapid descent was conducted, and the airplane continued towards its destination. One go-around was conducted before the airplane landed on runway 17. It overrun the runway, and struck an occupied moving car on the road.

About 3000' of runway...

beamer
13th Nov 2023, 08:06
Gotta feel for the motorist !

megan
14th Nov 2023, 00:02
Reported elsewhere pilot was unable to get reverse (beta?) after touch down.

KRviator
14th Nov 2023, 02:32
Gotta feel for the motorist !Badge of honour methinks...

Their mates: "'ow'd you total your car?"
The motorist: "I hit a bloody airplane!"

blue up
14th Nov 2023, 09:08
Their mates: "'ow'd you total your car?"
The motorist: "I hit a bloody mosquito!"

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/wp-content/gallery/uk/raf/mosquito2/Mosquito_crashes_into_car.jpg

megan
9th Dec 2023, 00:42
NTSB prelim report CEN24LA037On November 11, 2023, about 1241 central standard time, a RDD Enterprises, LLC, Lancair LX7 airplane, sustained substantial damage when it was involved in an accident near McKinney, Texas. The pilot and passenger were not injured, and an occupant in an automobile sustained minor injuries. The airplane was operated as a Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight.According to the pilot, while at flight level 250 west of Abilene, Texas, a door seal failed, and the airplane experienced a loss of pressurization. The pilot contacted air traffic control for an immediate descent due to the depressurization. The pilot descended the airplane to 10,000 ft mean sea level and continued the flight to Aero Country Airport (T31), McKinney, Texas. Following the emergency descent, the pilot noted no aircraft systems anomalies. About 5 minutes after establishing cruise flight at 10,000 ft to T31, the pilot noted an amber caution light for the propeller RPM, which was indicating 1,920 RPM. The pilot reduced the propeller RPM to 1,800 and the caution light turned off. The pilot continued the flight to T31.

The pilot reported he had not previously landed at T31 and performed a touch and go landing on runway 17 “to see the field.” The pilot climbed the airplane to the traffic pattern altitude and flew a normal traffic pattern to land on runway 17. During the downwind leg, the pilot pulled back the power lever and the lever ball came off in his hand. The pilot handed the ball to the passenger and continued the landing at the flight idle power position.

The pilot stated the airplane touched down in the first 500 ft of the runway without a float or a bounce in ground effect, and he immediately “hit [the] brakes gently” and maintained the runway centerline. For about 5 to 10 seconds, the pilot unsuccessfully attempted to move the power lever into beta-reverse. The pilot applied maximum braking; however, the brakes faded and stopping power decreased. The airplane exited the end of the runway, went through an airport perimeter fence, and struck a moving vehicle on a roadway. Postaccident examination of the airplane revealed substantial damage to the forward fuselage and right wing.

A witness, located on a general aviation ramp on the east side of T31, video recorded the pilot’s landing on his cellular telephone. A review of the video showed the airplane touch down and bounce near the ½ point of the 3,002 ft asphalt runway. All three landing gear came to rest on the runway surface and evidence of braking action (smoke from main landing gear wheels/tires) occurred about 3 seconds later. The wheel/tire smoke continued until the airplane exited the runway surface.

According to the T31 airport manager, who examined the runway surface after the accident, the first visible tire skid marks were about 200 ft past the ½ point of the runway. The skid marks remained visible for about 1,300 ft until the airplane departed the end of the asphalt surface. The airplane continued 14 ft to the perimeter fence and then traveled 93 ft before contacting a moving automobile in a roadway

ahwalk01
9th Dec 2023, 04:05
So he didn't touch down in first 500 ft. Why do people lie.

Peter H
9th Dec 2023, 09:45

Interested lurker.

Do they consciously lie or -- having let the plane get way ahead of them -- "remember" what they intended/tried to do?

PS In Everton's long-gone glory days I watched them score the goal that sealed the years football league championship, and clearly remember shouting "shoot Vernon, shoot, shoot" as the scorer seemed to be taking forever to make his shot. Watching the TV broadcast that evening no such delay occurred.

markkal
9th Dec 2023, 13:46

Ego and pride :-(

Sue Vêtements
10th Dec 2023, 14:16
Not trying to second guess from the comfort of my house but I wonder why T31 when TKI (McKinney) with 7200 feet and services was only 8 miles away?

DogTailRed2
12th Dec 2023, 14:58
Is that a Fouga Magister on the trailer at the end?

treadigraph
12th Dec 2023, 17:02
Is that a Fouga Magister on the trailer at the end?
I think it's an L-29.

EXDAC
12th Dec 2023, 19:01

Some pilots have no clue where they are going to touch down or where they actually did touch down. Most of those never heard of touch down point selection and aiming point technique. It's easy to get sloppy if one usually operates on runways far longer than need.

treadigraph
26th Jan 2024, 15:32
Another video of this accident...

https://youtu.be/xCSUCvev_bI?si=VYz0R1jnuhU8E8n4

421dog
7th Feb 2024, 03:03
He was obviously continuing to make a substantial bit of power throughout the attempted landing. (And ultimate “adjustable arresting gear”engagement)

If I know I’m not going to make it off a runway in a piston twin, a big backward handful of all six levers is quite likely my best power option so I’m assuming 2 out of the three when there’s no possibility of a theoretical V2 is even a better idea. (Essentially all my turbine twin time is in twin Cessnas King Air 90’s and MU2’s)
Oh, and know where your flap switch is, dump them on firm ground contact, (It’s that big flat switch to the right that doesn’t look or feel anything like a
wheel)
and keep your nose off the tarmac until you need it there