PDA

View Full Version : Take Off Delays MEL Airport Today

QSK?
9th Nov 2023, 04:27
Noticed today that there were quite a number of jets (9 or 10 I think) lined up for take off behind one another on the N-S Runway, Shanghai Airlines being the leading aircraft and not moving. Eventually, all the aircraft were cleared to enter the runway but exited at the first taxiway to the left and made their way down for an intersection departure south of the E-W runway. The situation looked extremely complex as all these aircraft were re-positioning. Took over an hour for the controllers to sort everything out with lots of long range flights being significantly ground delayed.
Anyone know what the problem was?

DJ737
9th Nov 2023, 04:43
Pavement failure on Rwy 16 north of the intersection, 16 departures only from E intersection, a few heavy's went from there including China Eastern and United.

framer
9th Nov 2023, 07:14
How often do pavement failures happen at major airports?
I seem to remember a couple in Sydney over the last twenty years but haven’t heard of others.
Is it something that most airports get once a decade or so or is it less common than that?

missy
9th Nov 2023, 07:28
How often do pavement failures happen at major airports?
I seem to remember a couple in Sydney over the last twenty years but haven’t heard of others.
Is it something that most airports get once a decade or so or is it less common than that?
Often occur when water gets into a crack and then there is warmer weather and the pavement bulges up.
Safety Officers routinely monitor pavements and will usually arrange a section to be repaired prior to it becoming urgent and a "pavement failure".

framer
9th Nov 2023, 07:29
Thanks Missy.

QSK?
10th Nov 2023, 00:45
Pavement failure on Rwy 16 north of the intersection, 16 departures only from E intersection, a few heavy's went from there including China Eastern and United.
Thanks for that info DJ737, much appreciated

RAC/OPS
10th Nov 2023, 03:19
Also 09/27 was closed for maintenance so that was reopened to allow arrivals - 16 was closed for arrivals. Took some time but eventually got everyone moving. At least the low cloud had started to clear!

airdualbleedfault
12th Nov 2023, 07:58
Noticed today that there were quite a number of jets (9 or 10 I think) lined up for take off behind one another on the N-S Runway, Shanghai Airlines being the leading aircraft and not moving. Eventually, all the aircraft were cleared to enter the runway but exited at the first taxiway to the left and made their way down for an intersection departure south of the E-W runway. The situation looked extremely complex as all these aircraft were re-positioning. Took over an hour for the controllers to sort everything out with lots of long range flights being significantly ground delayed.
Anyone know what the problem was?
ATC had been advised of a QF flight just departing Perth for Melbourne so they were just preparing for that :}