PDA

View Full Version : Private Gazelle Incident in Lincolnshire.

206Fan
6th Nov 2023, 03:53
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/347643

https://www.spaldingtoday.co.uk/news/two-people-had-lucky-escape-after-helicopter-crash-9338336/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKP4LglT578&t=1s

Agile
6th Nov 2023, 08:39
Somehow good outcome for hitting the pole on take off, noboby hurt thanks to the cabin in one piece and transmission still attached.

6th Nov 2023, 08:41
A sad end for a nice looking machine - all for the want of a pair of sunglasses it would seem.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
6th Nov 2023, 12:20
I'm curious. The pilot was there to deliver a donation to a Veterans charity. I wonder if he's a former military pilot ? Not that it would have any bearing on the accident, just nosey.

NEO

gsa
6th Nov 2023, 12:40
I wonder if the front seat pax opened the door before the blades got stopped.

Dave Gittins
6th Nov 2023, 13:52
I wonder if the front seat pax opened the door before the blades got stopped.

A moot point if they had already clobbered a floodlighting pole ... but it doesn't look the safest or the best design for the door if it opens right into the rotor disc.

Bravo73
6th Nov 2023, 14:51
I wonder if he's a former military pilot ? Not that it would have any bearing on the accident, just nosey.

Having watched that aircraft depart other sites, if it was the same pilot, I highly doubt that he/she was ex-mil.

hargreaves99
6th Nov 2023, 15:00
I thought the CAA had kiboshed the ability for N-reg helicopters being permanently based and flown in the UK?

md 600 driver
6th Nov 2023, 16:22
I thought the CAA had kiboshed the ability for N-reg helicopters being permanently based and flown in the UK?
CAA made all n reg owners in Uk have a uk licence to fly in uk airspace

hargreaves99
6th Nov 2023, 16:58
So that means all the foreign registered Gazelles, MD500s etc that you see around the UK are being flown by people with UK CAA licences with valid type ratings/medicals?

Hughes500
6th Nov 2023, 17:02
H99 correct. The CAA are trying to get all foreign ac based in UK to spend 72 hours outside UK airspace every 6 months !

md 600 driver
6th Nov 2023, 17:02
CAA made all n reg owners in Uk have a uk licence to fly in uk airspace

So that means all the foreign registered Gazelles, MD500s etc that you see around the UK are being flown by people with UK CAA licences with valid type ratings/medicals?
should be if they are uk residents

md 600 driver
6th Nov 2023, 17:05
H99 correct. The CAA are trying to get all foreign ac based in UK to spend 72 hours outside UK airspace every 6 months !
that’s not to hard to do ? A weekend in LFAT but if they spent that time in easa land they would also need a easa licence as rules changed there too

hargreaves99
6th Nov 2023, 17:05
a 3 day stay in le touquet every six months then?

with the type rating renewal and medical costs....that probably wipes out any cost saving from not having an aircraft on the G register?

Nubian
6th Nov 2023, 17:21
A moot point if they had already clobbered a floodlighting pole ... but it doesn't look the safest or the best design for the door if it opens right into the rotor disc.

The standard doors on the AS350/355, EC130, EC120 will all do that IF disconnected from the gas spring while rotors turn in its normal path. This Gazelle’s rotor might not have done, after the impact with the pole.

ahwalk01
7th Nov 2023, 07:50
Why would I want an inferior license. I already have an ICAO one.

Thud_and_Blunder
7th Nov 2023, 14:32
...and now we get the pedants discussing the difference between "license" (vb) and "licence" (n)... or perhaps not :cool:

SilsoeSid
9th Feb 2024, 15:02
A sad end for a nice looking machine - all for the want of a pair of sunglasses it would seem.
... or at least a look around while approaching the aircraft for likely obstructions; or did complacency pay a key role as the pilot had been going there for 20 years according to the LincsOnline article.

meleagertoo
10th Feb 2024, 11:35
As they are totally different words that would be a very strange application of "pedantry" indeed...

212man
10th Feb 2024, 14:15
...and now we get the pedants discussing the difference between "license" (vb) and "licence" (n)... or perhaps not :cool:
depends if they use American English, when the noun and verb are spelled the same!

sycamore
11th Feb 2024, 10:11
Wasn`t there CAA `advice` when landing at a private location,that it should have a cleared area of 30-50m around the `landing spot`....?

Hughes500
12th Feb 2024, 03:33
Wasn`t there CAA `advice` when landing at a private location,that it should have a cleared area of 30-50m around the `landing spot`....?
where would that be ?

sycamore
12th Feb 2024, 15:16
H500,haven`t a clue,as it was over 20 yrs ago,when I was `freelancing` in a J`box,doing `joy-rides` at fairs,airshows etc,.It may have just been `Company Ops `manual advice for pax.safety,sensible precations,etc...

I know the `ground-crew`/assistants would `tape-off` the area wherever possible,for pax loading/unloading.in case a` jobsworth` was around or a CAA Inspector...