PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 with LBBB

Rscotchf
2nd Nov 2023, 06:47
Gday all,

Has anyone here successfully passed their CASA class 1 medical with a Left Bundle Branch Block?

I was born with a complete Left Bundle Branch Block and with no other heart health issues, stress test complete, angiogram etc, I have held a class 2 medical (CASA) for several years without issue. However, I am contemplating changing careers and completing my CPL but if it’s going to be an issue getting a class 1 or difficult to maintain a class 1 with various restrictions, I may have to think twice about it.

Short answer to this is of course to simply apply for a class 1 on my next medical and hope for the best, which I will be doing, however I thought I’d ask here first to see if this is a common issue that grounds pilots, aspiring or working, on a regular basis.

I know this would be far better off in the “Medical & Health” forum but as that area doesn’t see many views or replies I thought id try here instead.

Thanks.

Capt Fathom
2nd Nov 2023, 21:22
ECG Variations (https://www.casa.gov.au/casa-guidance-acceptable-ecg-variations-dames-and-assessors#page13)

There is more information available on the CASA website under Medical and DAMEs. As a minimum AVMED will require a up to date Cardiologist Report before any decision is made.

morno
2nd Nov 2023, 21:47
I had a left (I’m sure it was left) bundle branch blockage picked up during one of my medicals years ago. I needed to get a cardiologist report that basically said it would never be an issue, and then CASA renewed my medical.

Funnily enough in the years since, the blockage disappeared and hasn’t shown up on an ECG since.

gamma69
2nd Nov 2023, 22:16
https://www.cabrini.com.au/find-a-doctor/drpeterhabersberger/

Call him, he is the first doctor to get a pilot his medical back that had a heart attack.
He was CASA chief cardiologist at some point I believe, or something like that.

I had a small issue, he wrote to them and I never heard a thing again.

AQIS Boigu
13th Nov 2023, 05:39
4.1 Direction
CASA Avmed will review all abnormal ECGs and provide specific case by case guidance as to
next steps

very vague unfortunately - I suggest you need to see an aviation cardiologist and have to wait and see