PDA

View Full Version : Hour building in USA

Gavin Sweet
2nd Sep 2002, 14:47
I am planning to go to the States to do around 50 hours. Can anyone suggest a good school that is reasonably priced and will allow exclusive use of the aircraft so that I am do some touring?

Plus any suggestions for good routes or airports to stop over?

I am considering Naples, please advise.

mutt
2nd Sep 2002, 16:30
Gavin,

Although this is the GA forum, I believe that you will get a better response if you place your request in the Wannabes Forum. There should be people in there who will explain the new visa requirements etc.

Enjoy.

Mutt.

Flyingspaniard
3rd Sep 2002, 11:19
I'm thinking of doing the same as you and have managed to scrape together enough to do about the same amount of hours, however I've been looking to Canada. They have the best prices I've found anywhere on a 152 (£29 per hour) and the majority of the schools out there are charging around the $80 CAD per hour. The seminole that I have managed to get hold of should be about $185 per hour and the complex single about $135 per hour. The current exchange rate is approx 2.4 CAD to the pound. Do the math... great value if you ask me.

Just like the US there are no landing fees at the majority of airports and as for accomodation, I guess that depends on what you require.

The disadvantage to the US is that you'll have to get another medical and you'll have to take an exam, but if you've recently qualified, this shouldn't be a problem.

I'm going in mid Oct so I'll let you all know how it went.

Canadian Owner Pilots Association gives a list of all the training providers out there.http://www.copanational.org

Katanaman
3rd Sep 2002, 12:30
I suggest you check out:

http://www.adp-flight.com/

I rented a PA 28 / 181 archer about 3 years ago for a 20 hr block and they gave me a week to complete them.

I wander off from LA (Bracket Field) to the Grand Canyon and Vegas in a huge triangular route. Great fun, especially since then I only had a UK PPL.

They also picked us up from the airport and dropped us back.

Reasonable aircraft, nothing special mind you. However, alot could have changed since I was at the school.

Have fun!

Gavin Sweet
3rd Sep 2002, 13:27
Thanks for the info Katanaman, I checked out the website and the prices are very cheap. I will be calling them later for more info.

Flyingspaniard could let me know the name of school that you are going to. My only concern with going to Canada is the additional cost with licence conversion and if the weather will be as consistent as the States.

Flyingspaniard
3rd Sep 2002, 16:52
I'm told, its about a $55 CAD fee for the license conversion. As for the wx, well if I remember my climatology, around that time in Canada you are starting to get your polar continental air masses. Cold, high pressure and dry, which for aviation is about as good as it gets...clear skies, great performance. I'd better check that as its been a while since I finished my studies.

The schools I am interested in are Cornwall Aviation (http://www.pro-flight.on.ca/cornav) and aero academy (http://www.aeroacademy.on.ca)

mike.oriordan
3rd Sep 2002, 17:38
Try Rainbow Air academy at Long Beach, California. Web site www.rainbowair.com It is partly owned by a Brit and they are very helpful - prices are pretty average. Needs a bit of forward planning if you want to charter and a/c for any length of time. E mail them - otherwise prices are on their website.

I flew about 50 hours there last Sep and intend going back to finish all my FAA flight tests.

Gavin Sweet
4th Sep 2002, 08:19
Check your messages Katanaman, regarding ADP.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
6th Sep 2002, 13:51
Gav,

I have been to Naples and can recommend it.

Long Beach CFII
12th Sep 2002, 08:14
Gavin,

I'm a Brit working at Rainbow Air, in Long Beach, and there are a few more there too.
I'm pretty sure you'll like the location of Long Beach - within 3 hours flight to San Francisco, and the Grand Canyon, 2 hours to Las Vegas, 1 hour to Big Bear - there are plenty of stunning places to go to.
Personally, I flew from Long Beach, California to Daytona Beach, Florida when I needed to build hours - took me 47 hours in our Archer 3, and I did it in 7 days.
I have had other guys that did what you want to do and can come up with several routes for you to ponder on.
Whatever your decision I hope you have a great time building hours and hope to see you on the schedule at Rainbow. Any questions call 001-562-424-0119 or email me.

Peter

Oscar Duece
12th Sep 2002, 17:51
So does anyone ever doing any hours building in the UK. The British industry needs the support of British pilots.

Is it that expensive ?. What prices have you been offered. ?

I have seen a C150 offered at £ 57-00 per hour wet (inc. Vat), for a 50 hour block. Although local landings are not included. Is that good, bad or average.
:rolleyes:

pilotwolf
12th Sep 2002, 19:55
When I can rent an aircraft at similar prices to the US then I might consider renting in the UK.

I appreciate maintance, fuel and VAT push up the UK prices but when some CFI s are driving Mercs, BMW, Porches and similar cars I am skeptical as to the excessive profits which might be, being made...

Of course there is also the weather, landing fees and general UK anti-aviation stance to consider.

Show me somewhere in the UK where I can SFH a R22 for under £100 wet, no landing fees and nice weather and I ll come and fly with you....

Not holding my breath for offers.... :(

Facts Not Fiction Pls
13th Sep 2002, 00:04
Advertising your school is not what this forum is about!

We are looking for unbiased opinions!

Britmil
13th Sep 2002, 03:25
Advertising your school is not what this forum is about! We are looking for unbiased opinions!

That's not really fair, us Brits who work over here have a pretty good handle on where a good place to train is. I've trained at several different schools and I wouldn't work at a school with unsafe airplanes that ripped off students.

However, I won't directly advertise my school unlike my colleague from ADP except to say that we have new 172 SPs @ $110 per hour equipped with autopilots and KLN 94 GPS. Also a couple of new Katana DA 20 C1s @$85 per hour. We're at Tucson, AZ home of the finest flying weather in the USA.

:D

RL
Ex-RAF sqn ldr

Facts Not Fiction Pls
13th Sep 2002, 12:58
Let me rephrase:

In my humble opinion, I am looking for the thoughts of students/renters that have gone to an establishment to which they have no ties or connections. It is their view that is unbiased and for which this network is all about.

If you want the words of the biased opinions, I can pick up Flyer/Pilot etc or in your case Plane & Pilot;) Ooooops, not forgetting the PPrune network of advertising:):) :) :) :)

karlos
14th Sep 2002, 16:12
I rented a C172 from Gulf Atlantic, Gainseville, FL earlier this year. Cost was about $70 an hour. People were freindly and Gainseville is a class D fairly quiet airport. And you can fly into there with Delta from Atlanta. Wesbite: www.gulfatlanticairways.com

Doudou
14th Sep 2002, 18:19
Try Airsal, Tamiami Airport Florida. They have a nice C-172 new engine (not even 100 hours yet), 2 VOR, 1 ILS, 1 GPS (I don't know to use it but... :( ) , 70$/h, might be able to get a block time about 60-65$.