PDA

View Full Version : EC135T2 stuck on Lighthouse

Sallyann1234
1st Nov 2023, 14:45
Job for a Chinook?

https://www.countypress.co.uk/news/23894112.helicopter-stuck-isle-wight-lighthouse-storm-ciaran/

Tango and Cash
1st Nov 2023, 15:24
Job for a Chinook?

https://www.countypress.co.uk/news/23894112.helicopter-stuck-isle-wight-lighthouse-storm-ciaran/

Will be interesting to see how securely it is lashed down after the storm passes. Maybe a job for a salvage barge and a crane?

ShyTorque
1st Nov 2023, 16:32
Bulletin update now says it’s been recovered.

OvertHawk
1st Nov 2023, 16:47
Winched an engineer and pilot back down and they managed to check / repair it and fly it off.

Reportedly a tail vibration of some kind.

Sky Sports
1st Nov 2023, 23:12
Yep….definitely managed to sort a tail rotor problem with the tail rotor hanging 4 foot over the edge of the helipad!!!!

albatross
2nd Nov 2023, 00:58
Yep….definitely managed to sort a tail rotor problem with the tail rotor hanging 4 foot over the edge of the helipad!!!!

Perhaps start the helicopter and scoot it as far forward as possible thereby gaining access to the tail?

helihub
2nd Nov 2023, 10:12
and what's more, it's on the pad facing north and the prevailing wind this week is westerly.

helideck
2nd Nov 2023, 11:18
AW169 lowered engineer and pilot yesterday by the looks of it. Could have ended very badly if the helicopter was left. Well done all involved.

First_Principal
2nd Nov 2023, 20:20
I've done my fair share of engineering work to various aircraft, mostly in a workshop where the floor is predictable for a good distance around the machine and occasionally out in the field where there were a few extra hazards, but still not too far to fall. In all cases I've either driven or flown to the site and exited the transport 'normally'.

To be flown to a site, winched down to a 200yr old 100' high resting place in the middle of the ocean not much bigger than a pin-head, then hang off the side of said pin-head in order to faff around with the delicate parts of a tail rotor ... well that person deserves much respect for the job they did. I hope their boss shouted them sticky buns and beer when they got back! :D

FP.