PDA

View Full Version : "Big" vs "Small" Schools UK

LandLover
1st Nov 2023, 11:41
Hi,
Coming off the back of a university degree I am trying to decide if aviation is the way I want to go (I believe it is, but keeping options open).
My main question is how do people view the "Big" Schools (i.e L3Harris or CAE) vs. "Smaller" Schools (i.e ACS) for a fATPL. I am trying to determine a few factors such as pass rates, employability, price, hours, quality of education and is a fATPL even worth it. If anyone has any pros or cons of either, that I may not have thought of please drop them below (side note, I have 0 hours and know next to no pilots, all my info is from research so its very probable I have missed something that seems obvious).
Additionally, being from Scotland ACS in Perth seems, other than the "Big" schools, my top option. If anyone has any experince with them please let me know!
Thanks in advance

RichardH
1st Nov 2023, 19:59
Hi LandLover

The language of post is indicating lots of questions & doubts with good reason. Therefore I wouldn't even consider big or small school but go and get a Class One medical as you can't be a commercial pilot without one then book some PPL flying lessons at your nearest flight school to see if you like it & get some honest opinions from your instructor on what your flying standards are like.

No direct experience I have only heard positive feedback on ACS. Whatever you do don't go 'integrated' with a so called big school, unfortunately what was once some highly respected schools have just morphed into over-priced pilot factories. Search these forums you will find lots of information. You will find a number of posters (Me, Rudestuff, Alex Whittingham, Gengis?) have been around more years than we care to remember but listen to their advice.

RichardH (Retired ATPL theory instructor at big & small schools).

Arena_33
1st Nov 2023, 20:03
Honestly go modular and pick and choose the best schools (based on reputation, not big vs small) for each part of training. From almost all integrated students I know, I'm getting through training just as fast if not quicker, whilst being able to work alongside too.

An integrated course in this day and age is guaranteed to cost £30k more than modular and more or less guaranteed to be delayed from the initial duration you sign up for.

Research as much as you can and check out the Wings Alliance to get a good idea of reputable schools that aren't selling you a dream through a shiny brochure.

Beaker_
2nd Nov 2023, 08:20
ACS is a fantastic option and I think most people would recommend them over and above the big pilot factories. As Richard has mentioned, get yourself a class one medical and a trial lesson would be a good idea to see if flying feels right for you. I would personally go for the trial lesson first, partly because it's about half the cost of the class one medical. There's no point in paying £600+ for your medical IMHO, to then go on your first flight and find you don't like it or get air sick.

Definitely visit any schools you are considering undertaking training with and if possible, try and visit a few others as well which will at least give you a benchmark to base your opinions on.

AlwaysWondering
2nd Nov 2023, 09:20
It's clear you have a lot of questions which is perfectly natural. I have a few thoughts:

- Get a class one certificate before anything else.
- Don't be lured in by a big name or by good marketing. Go visit any school you're interested in and check it out. Ask current students out of earshot about how strongly they'd recommend the school.
- Pay as little as possible in advance. Certainly don't pay big deposits or up-front course fees. Combined with this, give yourself flexibility. What happens if you go to school X and don't like it? Integrated gives little flexibility whilst modular gives a lot more. Modular is also cheaper. It's a no brainer.
- I would also strongly recommend getting dual UK CAA and EASA fATPL if possible. The cost increase isn't that much over doing one or the other. You simply need to the ATPL theory course, CPL/IR course, and APS or MCC at dual registered ATOs. Though note you do have to do each ATPL exam twice and the CPL/IR skills test twice (once in the UK and once in EASA land). I'm sure someone else will know the finer details.

What I would do if I were you is to first get a class one medical. Then go to a reputable local flight school to do your PPL. Remember to visit and speak to other students if possible. Oh, and try to pay as you go. Tell your FI that your aim is to fly commercially so you want them to be consistent on SOPs and procedures to keep you on your toes.

100pgnc
19th Nov 2023, 12:49
I would recommend visiting the schools you are considering and also, looking for blogs/vlogs by current/past students