PDA

View Full Version : Restricted private messages

EmmaMac
31st Oct 2023, 15:56
I need to contact someone who has replied to a question I've posted in another forum, but apparently the admin restricts use of the private inbox to users with less than three posts. My question is: does a reply to someone's post also count as a post? Or do I have to create three original posts like this?

Saab Dastard
1st Nov 2023, 13:24
Replies count

Zombywoof
1st Nov 2023, 18:44
I think you need more than three, unless they've changed it. People have been posting complaints and questions about this for eons, yet it still goes on. Why don't they explain it as part of the account creation process? Beats me. :confused:

Saab Dastard
1st Nov 2023, 19:12
People have been posting complaints and questions about this for aeons, yet it still goes on. Why don't they explain it as part of the account creation process? Beats me. :confused:
Why don't people look at the sticky post at the top of this Forum? Beats me. :confused:

Zombywoof
1st Nov 2023, 19:30
Well, the endless questions and complaints, for years and years, proves that method doesn't work. You could try my suggestion, or you could carry on. I note you haven't said whether the required number of posts is now three. It used to be ten. But why bother to provide information when you can be deliberately obtuse?

Senior Pilot
1st Nov 2023, 20:40
Well, the endless questions and complaints, for years and years, proves that method doesn't work. You could try my suggestion, or you could carry on. I note you haven't said whether the required number of posts is now three. It used to be ten. But why bother to provide information when you can be deliberately obtuse?
The number of posts required to be removed from Newbie status is eight, and posts in Jet Blast are not counted toward this total.

PM limitations are linked to this, so you will be restricted to one PM in your mailbox until you have more than eight qualifying posts.

Zombywoof
1st Nov 2023, 21:03
There you go, thread starter's question answered. Thank you SP.

I still think the account creation process should include a screen, IN BRIGHT RED BOLD CAPITALS that explains you must have a posting history to use PMs. I understand why you wouldn't want to include specific numbers at that point.

Why people come to a forum and immediately want to PM people is another matter. Forums are for public discourse. Yet there is an endless parade of newbies who want to use PMs immediately upon their arrival. A pox on them.