View Full Version : You Tube ad-blocker message

ETOPS
31st Oct 2023, 12:39
I've started getting a pop up message from You Tube telling me I have an ad-blocker program running and thus locking me out. Having searched my system in vain I'm sure I don't have such a thing but there doesn't seem to be a way round the block.

Any ideas?

MechEngr
31st Oct 2023, 13:10
What browser?

VM325
31st Oct 2023, 13:23
I've started getting a pop up message from You Tube telling me I have an ad-blocker program running and thus locking me out. Having searched my system in vain I'm sure I don't have such a thing but there doesn't seem to be a way round the block.

Any ideas?
YouTube are aggressively shutting down any form of adblock enabled viewing.
It would seem they just want you to subscribe or acept the ads.
Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed the ads are longer nd more frequent...

ETOPS
31st Oct 2023, 14:12
What browser?

Firefox

Less Hair
31st Oct 2023, 14:39
The ads on YouTube have become so frequent recently that I sometimes refrain from continuing to watch. I wonder what this is good for? Do they want to force people to subscribe or pay?

Saab Dastard
31st Oct 2023, 15:15
Check your add-ons in FF.

If you want to remain ad-free on YT, use ublock origin and follow the guidance in one of the many YT videos on how to block ads (oh the irony). Search for "ublock origin youtube ads" on YT.

SD

Jhieminga
31st Oct 2023, 15:24
I just had a quick look at Youtube, just to make sure that nothing has changed. All works for me, both when logged in as when logged out, and I don't get a single ad or a message about me blocking them. Using Firefox with uBlock Origin on a Mac.

ETOPS
31st Oct 2023, 16:34
Had advice to clear out all caches etc. so ran CCleaner which appears to have worked. Checked my Firefox settings and no ad-blockers installed...

Will spend a few hours watching cat videos to see if the message returns.

Sallyann1234
31st Oct 2023, 16:42
Opera browser with built in ad blocker, on Android. Just watched two YouTube videos with no interruptions.

megan
31st Oct 2023, 17:02
Use Firefox and use an ad blocker, was getting the same message a week or so ago for a few days and then disappeared without any action from me.

VM325
31st Oct 2023, 18:57
The ads on YouTube have become so frequent recently that I sometimes refrain from continuing to watch. I wonder what this is good for? Do they want to force people to subscribe or pay?
Yes!

The pop-up messages seem to come and go, but the consensus is that a lot of testing is going on before YouTube clamp down heavily on adblockers.

Winemaker
31st Oct 2023, 19:59
Check your add-ons in FF.

If you want to remain ad-free on YT, use ublock origin and follow the guidance in one of the many YT videos on how to block ads (oh the irony). Search for "ublock origin youtube ads" on YT.

SD
Was just going to suggest this; I see no ads at all. ublock and Firefox; I see no ads anywhere.....

rans6andrew
31st Oct 2023, 20:08
it seems to depend upon which adblocker you use. I have Adblocker Ultimate, Ublock Origin and Privacy Badger enabled on most websites. For YouTube I have to disable Adblocker Ultimate or I am faced with a totally black white browser tab when play is clicked. I am using Firefox on Linux Mint 18.1.

rattman
31st Oct 2023, 20:10

Any ideas?

use firefox and ublock orign

when ever I get it clear the cache, make sure you have the latest version and normally starts blocking adds again

https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/comments/17j6ygs/youtube_antiadblock_and_ads_october_29_2023_mega/

OuchSpud
1st Nov 2023, 10:38
Or use the Brave browser, its more secure, blocks cookies & trackers & gets around the YT ad blockerr wall.

Geriaviator
1st Nov 2023, 15:04
No probs for this non-techie dinosaur with Vivaldi and Ublock Origin. Downloaders don't work though.

OvertHawk
1st Nov 2023, 15:36
+1 vote for the Brave browser.

Blocks lots of nasty time-wasting stuff and runs Youtube ad free.

VM325
1st Nov 2023, 19:25
There's a constant cat-and-mouse game going on between the adblocker software writers and the companies, like YouTube, that want you to see their ads. (Or subscribe).

It appears YT are getting more aggressive in their recent updates, and depending on what device you use, you may get by for the time being, you might not.
YT on my smart TV (LG) is now unusable with incessant adverts.

Adblockers work by replacing adverts flowing from ad servers if they are on the black list (Around 175K servers), serving white space instead.
When YouTube embeds the ads within their own stream, it's a lot harder to stop.

Consensus seems to be that YouTube will win I'm afraid...

Cat3508
1st Nov 2023, 21:45
Well, they have beaten me. I gave up and subscribed, much to my disgust. In reality, its only a few cups of coffee a month I suppose, but I do get much enjoyment from using it.

Kraftstoffvondesibel
1st Nov 2023, 22:14
Why not just go Youtube premium. Yes, evil google will get a large cut, but you will also support indiependent creators. And you’ll never see an ad on tgere again.

Dan Gerous
6th Nov 2023, 20:18
Just followed a link to youtube and been informed I can only see 3 more vids then I will have to subscribe.

lancs
6th Nov 2023, 22:44
https://ublockorigin.com/
This one works at the moment, disable all the other ad block / cookie blockers you have for youtube....

DroneDog
7th Nov 2023, 06:59
YouTube is cutting its own throat in the name of greed; they are now trying to convince viewers to pay some 12 GBP per month to go ad-free. Given they get all of their content for free and have zero creation costs, they deem they can charge more than Amazon prime or Netflix, who do have to pay for the production of the content.

Yes, they do need to make a few quid to cover costs, but a less intrusive advertising model would work better; this recent move and the increased saturation of their videos with ads is driving people to Rumble etc. This is pure greed and a massive miscalculation on their part.

Kraftstoffvondesibel
7th Nov 2023, 16:27
YouTube is cutting its own throat in the name of greed; they are now trying to convince viewers to pay some 12 GBP per month to go ad-free. Given they get all of their content for free and have zero creation costs, they deem they can charge more than Amazon prime or Netflix, who do have to pay for the production of the content.

Yes, they do need to make a few quid to cover costs, but a less intrusive advertising model would work better; this recent move and the increased saturation of their videos with ads is driving people to Rumble etc. This is pure greed and a massive miscalculation on their part.

They do pay the video creators, you know. Doesn’t really work any differently than your favourite streaming service in that regard, except the amount of quality content is much higher, albeit demanding to filter theough to find the gold.

VM325
7th Nov 2023, 17:45

You seem to have forgotten about the huge infrastructure (https://scaleyourapp.com/youtube-database-how-does-it-store-so-many-videos-without-running-out-of-storage-space/) costs and the payments to the creators...

nonsense
8th Nov 2023, 08:54
Youtube uses cookies to determine whether you've already seen your ad free video. Clear out any youtube cookies, set your browser to block youtube cookies, and continue as normal...

DroneDog
9th Nov 2023, 06:59
They do pay the video creators, you know. Doesn’t really work any differently than your favourite streaming service in that regard, except the amount of quality content is much higher, albeit demanding to filter theough to find the gold.

I am aware, I have my own channel creating content, but it's peanuts, you need to be hitting millions of viewers to make it worthwhile. Their creation costs or what they pay is a tiny fraction of their income when compared to Netflix or Apple TV etc Their content costs are negligible, most content creators now seek independent income from Patron etc.

You seem to have forgotten about the huge infrastructure (https://scaleyourapp.com/youtube-database-how-does-it-store-so-many-videos-without-running-out-of-storage-space/) costs and the payments to the creators...

"Yes, they do need to make a few quid to cover costs,"

YouTube infrastructure costs do not compare to Netflix or Amazon Prime's infrastructure, and those two channels also fund content creation. YouTube wanting 12 GBP per month is pure greed; slash the price to maybe one or two pounds per month, and maybe people will bite.
Their advertising has become more aggressive in recent months, with more ads sprinkled in the content.

After a little googling, I was surprised that they state that 55% of their income covers content and associated costs. (Netflix spend 63%) I was expecting ti to be much less. But I stand by my statement 12 GBP per month is way too expensive for their pro plan, and the aggressive increase in advertising is turning people away. Back of the aggressive advertising and reduce the monthly charge, and they might have a winner. Competitors are snapping at their heels, it is not the first time a social media outlet has blown it.