PDA

View Full Version : EMAS

John Marsh
29th Oct 2023, 07:33
The recent excursion at LBA started me thinking about EMAS and its value at more challenging airports. I understand from the discussion on the Accidents & Close Calls forum that LBA fits this category.

Does the CAA assess the potential safety benefits of EMAS at all (or any) UK airports?

Whilst EMAS has been developed as an overrun damage reduction measure, I wonder if it could also mitigate the hazards of lateral excursions. It works at the ends of runways; why not also alongside?

DaveReidUK
29th Oct 2023, 09:26
EMAS would have made zero difference in the LBA incident.

dixi188
29th Oct 2023, 12:36
If you have EMAS at the side of the runway, then if an aircraft hit it at any significant speed it would ground loop, probably causing more damage than running onto the grass/mud.

DaveReidUK
29th Oct 2023, 13:15
Apart from which, it would be colossally expensive to install EMAS, even a narrow strip, along both sides of the entire length of a runway.

Flap40
11th Nov 2023, 16:08
The only place in Europe that I can remember seeing EMAS is Kristiansand in Norway. In the UK, Jersey (Rwy 26) and Southhampton (Rwy 20) have gravel arrestor beds which do a similar job.

Musket90
11th Nov 2023, 18:02
London City now has EMAS at each end, also I believe Northolt although not sure if it is the same design as City.