PDA

View Full Version : Bad news from Vans

Squawk7700
28th Oct 2023, 01:40
https://www.vansaircraft.com/2023/10/business-announcement-from-vans-founder-dick-vangrunsven/?mc_cid=aad37ef245&mc_eid=710499227c

Many factors seem to have combined to create a perfect storm.

megan
28th Oct 2023, 03:53
Very sad news indeed, I wish them well, a great product.

12-47
28th Oct 2023, 23:37
An awesome product for the middle class.......which no longer exists. Rich people spend $2m on a Cirrus as a start and poor people don't fly.

spinex
29th Oct 2023, 05:04
An awesome product for the middle class.......which no longer exists. Rich people spend $2m on a Cirrus as a start and poor people don't fly.
Given that their troubles are ascribed in part to the costs and difficulties of ramping up production to meet increased demand, I'm not sure that holds water.

Mr Mossberg
29th Oct 2023, 09:41
I also find it hard to believe that a mob that has been around for 40 years 'suddenly' found themselves selling kits under what it cost them to produce. Sounds to me like quality control issues have cost them a bit of coin to rectify and it's being passed on. I'd prefer that extra cost to contribute to on-shoring all kit production back to the US.

Vans aircraft are the gas, unfortunately they're about to get a whole lot more expensive.

FlyBoy270
29th Oct 2023, 15:56
Probably lead to and increase in the price of used Vans aircraft

OZBUSDRIVER
29th Oct 2023, 23:24
Reading the media on this. it sounds like issues with laser cutting the panels. Customers are finding cracks forming around the holes after dimpling. Lots of returned parts asking for non-laser cut panels.

Captain Dart
30th Oct 2023, 01:00
...also faulty 'quick build' components outsourced overseas with defects (wrong primer etc) why am I not surprised :hmm:.

Cedrik
30th Oct 2023, 01:03

A Vans isn't cheap aviating by any comparison, building/flying anything other than an RAA aircraft is outside the reach of most wage earners.

Old aeroplane geek
30th Oct 2023, 22:59
Hopefully they will manage to trade out of their current situation.
Fingers crossed!

KRviator
31st Oct 2023, 01:24
A Vans isn't cheap aviating by any comparisonNot these days! To replace my RV-9 would cost you close to $250K - and I don't even have a fancy IFR GPS! Between inflation and the dollar dropping building is almost unaffordable for anyone who couldn't already afford to buy a Cirrus! :(

A shame, as I genuinely enjoyed the build process...

Mr Mossberg
31st Oct 2023, 10:32
Hopefully they will manage to trade out of their current situation.
Fingers crossed!

There is no need to cross your fingers Cock. There is no way that Vans will go down. They're just putting it out there that a kit is going to cost you a **** load more in future. They're also trying to deflect the blame from outsourcing to cheap, garbage producers to the usual 'covid supply line' bull**** that everyone is using.

Vans as an affordable kit is done. It was nice while it lasted.

Squawk7700
31st Oct 2023, 11:45
Did you watch the full video from Dick and the read the full written article Mr Mossberg?

rugmuncher
31st Oct 2023, 13:19
Reading the media on this. it sounds like issues with laser cutting the panels. Customers are finding cracks forming around the holes after dimpling. Lots of returned parts asking for non-laser cut panels.

I hope it wasn't something as simple as failing to follow:
"To facilitate complete removal of the heat affected zone (HAZ) from around the periphery of holes, laser cut fastener holes 0.015" undersize & Final drill undersize holes using conventional drilling equipment."