PDA

View Full Version : Dublin airport airside interconnection

Eutychus
26th Oct 2023, 18:13
I have a friend without a Schengen visa who is likely to be travelling to the US on a route involving a transfer in Dublin. Dublin on a low-cost flight would be much easier and cheaper for me to reach than either the US or their home base, so I was wondering about the feasibility of us meeting up airside for a couple of hours.

Does the terminal arrangement at Dublin allow, legitimately, SLF to disembark from an incoming Schengen flight and stay airside to move to a departure lounge (if necesseary in another terminal) before exiting?

davidjohnson6
26th Oct 2023, 18:18
Can you tell us the travel itinerary (just the countries involved) of both you and your friend ? Would make it easier to give an answer.
I assume you are aware that Dublin and the Republic of Ireland are not in the Schengen area.

Eutychus
26th Oct 2023, 18:22
Can you tell us the travel itinerary (just the countries involved) of both you and your friend ? Would make it easier to give an answer.
I assume you are aware that Dublin and the Republic of Ireland are not in the Schengen area.
That's a good point! I guess what I meant is they won't have a visa for Ireland.

I'd be flying from France and their starting point would be DRC. I'd guess they'd have a first connecting flight in Addis or somewhere.

davidjohnson6
26th Oct 2023, 18:43
Has your friend verified that they will definitely be able to transit via Dublin ? The transit facility at DUB has limited hours... outside those hours arriving pax must exit to landside (ie pass through immigration and legally enter Ireland) before then heading back through security again towards departures.

Eutychus
26th Oct 2023, 19:12
Has your friend verified that they will definitely be able to transit via Dublin ? The transit facility at DUB has limited hours... outside those hours arriving pax must exit to landside (ie pass through immigration and legally enter Ireland) before then heading back through security again towards departures.
Apparently it's their route of choice for the US, to which they are a regular traveller. Assuming they stay airside, can I reach them from an inbound flight to either terminal?

Minimum_GroundTime
4th Nov 2023, 19:35
Apparently it's their route of choice for the US, to which they are a regular traveller. Assuming they stay airside, can I reach them from an inbound flight to either terminal?
If I understand correctly, you will not be able to do this as Ireland is not part of the Schengen.

davidjohnson6
4th Nov 2023, 22:16
If you and your friend both stay in the pre-immigration arrivals area, you *might* be able to meet up. Even if you can meet face-to-face, you are likely to find this area very spartan without cafes or anywhere to eat, drink or relax while you chat.

Realistically if you want to meet for an hour somewhere enjoyable, you will need to buy (and check in for) a ticket from Dublin to *somewhere-does-not-matter-where* - this will allow you to access the deartures area of Dublin airport, where you have a much better chance of meeting face-to-face. Look for a flight on Ryanair from Dublin on the right date to the cheapest possible destination - paying 20 euros to ensure you can meet a friend seems like a reasonable deal. Make sure your friend does not enter the USA pre-clearance area of Dublin airport while waiting for you. After chatting, you should be able to exit from the departures area to Dublin as long as your passport gives easy access to Ireland.

Probably not quite the answer you want to hear though

S.o.S.
4th Nov 2023, 23:28
Hello Minimum_GroundTime and welcome to the Cabin. Thank you for joining, it is good to have folks from different countries in here.

netstruggler
5th Nov 2023, 13:36
If you and your friend both stay in the pre-immigration arrivals area, you *might* be able to meet up. Even if you can meet face-to-face, you are likely to find this area very spartan without cafes or anywhere to eat, drink or relax while you chat.

Realistically if you want to meet for an hour somewhere enjoyable, you will need to buy (and check in for) a ticket from Dublin to *somewhere-does-not-matter-where* - this will allow you to access the deartures area of Dublin airport, where you have a much better chance of meeting face-to-face. Look for a flight on Ryanair from Dublin on the right date to the cheapest possible destination - paying 20 euros to ensure you can meet a friend seems like a reasonable deal. Make sure your friend does not enter the USA pre-clearance area of Dublin airport while waiting for you. After chatting, you should be able to exit from the departures area to Dublin as long as your passport gives easy access to Ireland.

Presumably the OP will have their return ticket to France available for this purpose?

Eutychus
5th Nov 2023, 20:51

That sounds like it would do nicely. As has been posted above, having arrived in Dublin (e.g. via Ryanair...) I would also need to depart.

davidjohnson6
6th Nov 2023, 01:13
You might wish to check how long in advance you can go from landside (i.e. public area of airport) to airside departures area. I've had very different answers from security people at Dublin earlier this year. It would be a shame if you landed at Dublin at 10 am, your friend was due to fly from Dublin to the USA at 2 pm, your flight from Dublin back to France was due to depart at 6 pm, but the security gates decided you could not access the departures area at Dublin airport until 3 pm

S.o.S.
6th Nov 2023, 10:15
I'm glad that Eutychus has some helpful information. This is the Cabin at it's best and my thanks to those who have replied. As we had to meet someone at LHR late last night, whose flight and connection was changed twice, it made me wonder what we would have done without mobile phones for messaging and phone calls as they travelled 6,000 miles.

It would be good if we get feedback after the meet up, so that the information is available for others to search for.

Eutychus
25th Nov 2023, 20:15
You might wish to check how long in advance you can go from landside (i.e. public area of airport) to airside departures area. I've had very different answers from security people at Dublin earlier this year. It would be a shame if you landed at Dublin at 10 am, your friend was due to fly from Dublin to the USA at 2 pm, your flight from Dublin back to France was due to depart at 6 pm, but the security gates decided you could not access the departures area at Dublin airport until 3 pm

That's a good point!

S.o.S this is as yet only a thought exercise, but if I do end up attempting it I will report back.