View Full Version : Activating sim cards

Cornish Jack
26th Oct 2023, 11:57
Yesterday I bought two sim cards, each with £10 prepaid for Vodafone. One was fitted to a same-day purchased Doro 'dumb' phone and the other to my Nexus 6 'smart' phone.. Attempting to use either produces a "You have no credit" message and the call is terminated. Attempting to contact Vodafone and/or Sainsburys is pointless since both have 'robori' only contact services.
Any gurus who might have useful pointers, please ?

Cornish Jack
26th Oct 2023, 19:18
Now sorted ! .. NO thanks to either Sainsburys or Vodafone.
The process required is both obscure and unhelpful and comp;etely changed from the previous process for such items.I won't list it here, but if anyone has similar problems, PM me.

jimjim1
27th Oct 2023, 02:04
I had terrible trouble in the Western Isles with EE, who are the only provider in some areas. None of us were fully familiar with PAYG but I had some experience.

My friends wife did the shop run and bought a SIM, shop didn't mention that a top up voucher would be good too.

Turns out their PAYG top up number was not working on the local tower. Worked fine on a different tower later.
Internet worked at least to their website but instructions provided didn't work.
Eventually we "wasted" a day to go back to the shop (it was the only one around) and get a top up voucher. Top up via TXT worked seamlessly. Hardly wasted since it is a beautiful part of the country but it was not on the agenda.

I couldn't believe how hard it was to give them some money.

treadigraph
27th Oct 2023, 06:25
My sister had similar problems when she arrived from US earlier this year and needed a sim card.