PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to come back?

Icaro806
23rd Oct 2023, 20:42
Dear PPruNe members,
I have been a member of this forum for 3 years and have profited a lot from all the debates and discussions we have had. They have shaped my decisions and the knowledge I have of the industry. This is my first post and I finally have a dilemma I think is worth of your time. I have gathered enough information and I believe now it’s time to make a decision. I thank you all for your time and help, but first a bit about me so you can get a better picture.

I am a 27-year-old Flight Instructor in the U.S., originally from Europe with 730 hours of flight time. I also have recently started a part-time job flying a Learjet 35 as SIC for a Medevac company, having around 70 hours of JET time and a SIC Type Rating. I am under an F1 Visa Program and don’t have a green card or any other means of working in the U.S. for longer than March 2025. I am at a point where I would like to come back to Europe and fly out of there, latest by the mentioned date.

I am aware that all my FAA licenses have to be converted to come back and I am familiar with the process. Currently, I am looking at two scenarios on how to get it done best.

Stay in the U.S. until the end of my Visa, while flying as an SIC building up Jet time, and working on the ATPL Theory remotely, once that’s done come back to get the ME/ IR / COM, MCC, and UPRT converted. This would put me with being a frozen EASA ATPL holder by the end of 2024 or the beginning of 2025, with 1000 hours TT and 300 hours in a jet.

Leave the United States in January 2024 and focus full time from Europe (Home) on the ATPL Theory and the license conversion being an EASA frozen ATPL holder by the mid/ end of summer 2024.

The EASA Class 1 Medical has already been done :)

I am really thinking about both options as both have cons and pros. From one side the idea of building up to 300 hours of Jet time could be beneficial to find a job when I am back. But I am also aware of the fact that most airlines in Europe are not big on hours. Or are they?
Timing is also key in this industry and it seems to be a good time to push through and to get it all done as soon as possible, making option number 1 more attractive, as it seems to be a good time now to try it out in Europe.

The question for you guys in the European industry that summarizes everything and that I want to ask you is:

Would coming back with 1000 hours and 300 hours of Jet time increase my chances of landing a job in Europe or should I focus more on timing and be EASA-ready as soon as possible as flight time is not that big of a deal?

I would really appreciate to hear your thoughts regarding the crossroads I am at. Any advice or opinions are more than welcome.

I appreciate all of you!

Thank you for taking the time to help me out.