PDA

View Full Version : Could this altimeter be for a royal aircraft factory B. E. 2?

1WizKid
23rd Oct 2023, 15:47
I recently purchased an altimeter and the seller said he was told that it came from a BE2. However, looked up a couple photos and though similarities their are differences so not a direct match. Main differences:
1. The inner gradient numbered circle goes a full 360deg around the face. The ones I've seen online tend to just go a quarter ways or half ways around.
2. It has two adjustment knobs not just one. That said, the second knob doesn't appear to do anything when I turn it.
3. No maker name on it.

Of course, I'd like to post a picture but I need 8 posts before I can do that. Do you think you might be able to help identify this if I can post a picture? If so, let me know and I'll keep posting until I hit 8!

1WizKid
25th Oct 2023, 16:47
I did chat a bit more with the person I purchased this from. They stated that their Dad worked at the Boeing Aeronautics School back in the early '40s teaching students to read instruments. The story the father told his son was that this was in a display at the school. When the school shutdown, the father asked if he could have it and was told yes. The only other thing the son remembers was that his dad said it came from a plane made by De Havilland.

DaveReidUK
25th Oct 2023, 17:30
Knowing PPRuNe, as soon as you're able to post a photo, you'll get your answer.

Probably several. :O

1WizKid
25th Oct 2023, 18:05
Yes, hoping that will be the case!

Quemerford
25th Oct 2023, 18:16
I did chat a bit more with the person I purchased this from. They stated that their Dad worked at the Boeing Aeronautics School back in the early '40s teaching students to read instruments. The story the father told his son was that this was in a display at the school. When the school shutdown, the father asked if he could have it and was told yes. The only other thing the son remembers was that his dad said it came from a plane made by De Havilland.

Maybe "made" by de Havilland should be, "designed" by de Havilland? If so then the instrument could come from anything he designed prior to setting up his own company. If it's WW1 then the US/Boeing link would point towards the DH.4.

1WizKid
26th Oct 2023, 16:55
Here are the photos. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1880x2000/top_small_1c1cdf5d51a65e4732d9dc018cc825759aabbd8c.jpg
Front of Altimeter. 1. The inner gradient numbered circle goes a full 360deg around the face. The ones I've seen online tend to just go a quarter ways or half ways around. 2. It has two adjustment knobs not just one. That said, the second knob doesn't appear to do anything when I turn it. 3. No maker name on it.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1802/back_small_6fccee2c42447fa6be7cefb2130b6d0a2e36ccb4.jpg
Back of Altimeter. If you zoom in you can see the A <- symbol on the back of it.

dduxbury310
27th Oct 2023, 01:55
Is that in fact a "Broad Arrow" marking (denoting it was the property of the British Government)? However that does NOT explain the vertical stroke to left of said arrow (and makes it appear to be the letter "K").

India Four Two
27th Oct 2023, 04:45
Interesting that the big hand registers thousands of feet, the opposite of modern altimeters.

meleagertoo
27th Oct 2023, 10:33
I'd suggest you contact the RAF Museum at Hendon with that pic and request. They have a BE2 so they'll know for sure.

DaveReidUK
27th Oct 2023, 11:39
Interesting that the big hand registers thousands of feet, the opposite of modern altimeters.

Most of the altimeters I've seen from that era didn't measure hundreds at all. They typically have an outside scale like the one in the photo running anti-clockwise from 0 to 15-17,000 or so, and then an inner continuation scale (not usually a full circle) that carries on with higher values.

I assume that in this case the one knob that does work rotates the entire inner scale relative to the body to allow it to be adjusted for Q.

As noted, it doesn't have a maker's name, so it's not from any of the well-known manufacturers such as Tyco or Paulin.

Quemerford
27th Oct 2023, 13:04
This instrument also goes against the norm of WW1-era aircraft mounting their gauges on the front of a wooden instrument board; the gauge faces were often protruding when fitted, with the mounting flange showing. This looks like a later gauge that would mount from the rear of a metallic instrument panel, with the flange hidden and the gauge face flush with the panel.

I'd suggest it's more 1920s or later than 1910s.