PDA

View Full Version : USA F1 Visa approved schools List?

chock2chock
20th Oct 2023, 18:27
I am looking to begin training in the USA next year as an international student. My plan is to get all my ratings all the way to CFI, instruct and get as close to 1500 hours as possible. Initially, it would seem from the that given the incredible number of aviation schools in the USA that one has an almost unlimited selection of flight training choices both offering Part 61 and Part 141 training.

However, the reality is quite different, as a foreign national wanting to take part in a "paid internship" as a flight instructor after getting their ratings, would necessitate an F1 visa, which gives the option to take part in the OPT program (Optional Practical Training). There are very few flight Training schools that are approved or that simply offer this program to international students. More specifically, schools that purely offer flight training, and not universities or colleges that offer degree programs+flight training (for there are many of those), the likes of University of North Dakota, Embry Riddle, FIU, Purdue etc.

I have been trying to compile a list of schools that offer these programs. The choices available is quite narrow, especially in terms of pricing. Most of them are larger schools and their prices range from $95,000-100K USD. The ones that I have found so far simply by individually asking for info are:

L3Harris Airline Academy - Sanford FL (Formerly Delta Connection/ Aerosim)
Phoenix East Aviation - Daytona Beach FL
Spartan College of Aeronautics Tulsa OK - they are a university but offer a flight only program
Hillsboro Aero Academy - Portland OR
Aviator College Fort Pierce FL - still on the fence about this one - waiting to hear back from them.

Can anyone else add to this list?

janrein
20th Oct 2023, 21:53
You may have seen this already?
https://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/458132-f1-visa-schools.html

Little seems to have changed in the names over all those years.
For the school to be approved F! the study/training has to be recognised as academic in - I suppose - theoretical level and duration.

Naples Air Center once claimed to be F1 Visa approved, but nothing mentioned on their website now.
Cirrus Aviation Sarasota? I am not aware they ever did F1 or that they do now, but you may want to give them a call.

chock2chock
21st Oct 2023, 02:28
[QUOTE=janrein;11524886]You may have seen this already?
https://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/458132-f1-visa-schools.html
/QUOTE]
No i did not! Thank you very much. It would seem that most of the school seem to offer other academic courses in order to qualify. Some have partnerships with local colleges.

Though some like PEA, L3 and Hillsboro seem to offer flight only courses.

Some schools that did offer the program in the past no longer do. Like Flight Safety Academy (Now skyborne).