PDA

View Full Version : Eyesight and stability/vertigo

Pin Head
19th Oct 2023, 14:38
I have a friend early 50s who is struggling when going into bright conditions. The feeling is of small vertigo and a degree of confusion. He is fine when in cloud and at night but finds it worse when in the brighter conditions in open air. He does feel his eyesight has dropped with age but remains fit in general

Not sure if anyone has any knowledge or possible causes.

Regards

Pin

Blues&twos
21st Oct 2023, 17:11
Cataracts?

I had a serious eye injury over a decade ago, which gave me very hazy vision from one eye, very similar to the vision you'd get with a developed cataract. Going into bright light effectively meant that I was overwhelmed by sudden glare and this sometimes made me feel briefly giddy and a little confused.
Your pal needs to see an ophthalmologist, or at the very least an optometrist/optician who can advise.
Some NHS hospitals have an "Eye Casualty" clinic each day within their ophthalmology department, to which you can just walk-in, similar to the A&E department. Patients are triaged, so there may be a wait as cataract-like symptoms are not as urgent as say, some other patient with an eyeball hanging out.

421dog
21st Oct 2023, 17:30
I have a friend early 50s who is struggling when going into bright conditions. The feeling is of small vertigo and a degree of confusion. He is fine when in cloud and at night but finds it worse when in the brighter conditions in open air. He does feel his eyesight has dropped with age but remains fit in general

Not sure if anyone has any knowledge or possible causes.

Regards

Pin

Many things can contribute to this.
Something as easy to fix as presenile cataracts to much more concerning things like macular degeneration or rapidly progressive glaucoma.
Not an opthalmologist, but I am a Senior FAA Ame. Would be happy to render what little insight I might be able to provide in the open, or via PM.
(not soliciting for business, of course)

Blues&twos
23rd Oct 2023, 16:57
Forgot to mention in my original post, and to add to 421dog's advice, hazy vision can also be caused by minor epithelial damage like a scratch to the front of the eye or possible corneal infections ("infiltrates"). These need to be diagnosed and treated urgently as they can lead to corneal scarring and reduction to or loss of vision if left untreated.

Might be something else, of course....