PDA

View Full Version : 1960s magazines: Another man's treasure!

Pete346L
16th Oct 2023, 12:45
Hello PPRuNer's,
I'm new here and looking for some help please. In helping my father downsize, we've come across a couple of boxes of aviation magazines from the 1960s. I've promised him I'll do my best to find a good home for this collection and this seems a good place to get advice! Any recommendations gratefully received!

Titles include:

Flying Review International
RAF Flying Review
Interavia
Air Pictorial
Wings - The Encyclopaedia of Aviation

Thank you!
Pete

ericferret
19th Oct 2023, 09:38
Hello PPRuNer's,
I'm new here and looking for some help please. In helping my father downsize, we've come across a couple of boxes of aviation magazines from the 1960s. I've promised him I'll do my best to find a good home for this collection and this seems a good place to get advice! Any recommendations gratefully received!

Titles include:

Flying Review International
RAF Flying Review
Interavia
Air Pictorial
Wings - The Encyclopaedia of Aviation

Thank you!
Pete

Ebay I suppose.
I have been trying to dispose of a complete set of Aeroplane monthly (600+issues) for some time with little success.
I really don't want to skip them nor do I want to give them away.
A few years ago I dumped a large quantity of Rotor and Wing only to see a request on here a few weeks later!!!!

Buster11
19th Oct 2023, 10:25
The National Aerospace Library at Farnborough can always use donations of aviation-related books and magazines as they have (or certainly did a few years ago) fund-raising sales a couple of times a year. Not sure if that's anywhere near you.

Jhieminga
19th Oct 2023, 12:59
They had a sale just a few weeks ago, so they might have some free space again!

stevef
19th Oct 2023, 14:16
I recently donated four boxes of aviation books to a Royal British Legion armed service veterans care home.
Perhaps anything aircraft-related might trigger memories for ex-RAF residents, especially those suffering from dementia/Alzheimers.
Locations:
Southam
Bexhill-on-Sea
Broadstairs
Cromer
Taunton
Ripon

Pete346L
26th Oct 2023, 09:15
Thanks so much for these great suggestions @Buster11 @Jhieminga and @stevef
I'll give the Farnborough Library and RBL care homes routes a bash. My dad and I would certainly rather see them put to good use than sold for a few pennies.

@ericferret these suggestions might also help with your stash of Aeroplane monthly?

Thanks again PPRuNers!
Pete