PDA

View Full Version : EASA Frozen ATPL

Messerschmitt
16th Oct 2023, 07:18
Hello all.

Canadian, with 700hrs and CPL. My research has showed me that EASA does not recognize the Canadian CPL and I will need to go to EASA PPL and do the rest (CPL -> Frozen ATPL). This will include doing the 13 ATPL exams + whatever flying necessary to get the EASA MEIFR and ME ratings.

My question is, what can an EASA CPL (ATPL Frozen) with 800ish hours (I think it will be an additional 100hrs required to get the EASA Frozen ATPL) can aspire for?

My knowledge is only English, so now with UK being out of EU, other than low cost carriers (wizz air, Ryan Air) with crap pay, what are my options out there to fly in Europe?

rudestuff
16th Oct 2023, 07:25
I'd start by doing some better research! Your Canadian CPL certainly CAN be converted. I don't know where you're getting a figure of 100 hours from, you can convert any foreign CPL/IR in less than 20 hours.
You need to:
1) Ensure you have the right to live and work in the EU.
2) Get a class one initial medical.
3) Sign up to ground school course and take the EASA ATPL exams.
4) Find an ATO and do the necessary training and tests.

paco
16th Oct 2023, 10:04
You also do not need an EASA PPL - your CPL counts for starting a modular course.

MichaelOLearyGenius
17th Oct 2023, 17:41
Where do you get the crap pay from?

Messerschmitt
18th Oct 2023, 20:54
I'd start by doing some better research! Your Canadian CPL certainly CAN be converted. I don't know where you're getting a figure of 100 hours from, you can convert any foreign CPL/IR in less than 20 hours.
You need to:
1) Ensure you have the right to live and work in the EU.
2) Get a class one initial medical.
3) Sign up to ground school course and take the EASA ATPL exams.
4) Find an ATO and do the necessary training and tests.

You also do not need an EASA PPL - your CPL counts for starting a modular course.

I went to the Romanian Aviation Authority and they said:
Canadian CPL -> EASA PPL after writing 4 exams
There is no Canadian CPL -> EASA CPL that will not require several exams and flight tests for ME and MEIFR. Taking this into consideration, the guy from authority recommended to start the 13 ATPL exams while doing the EASA CPL conversion (which involves the flight tests for EASA CPL, ME and MEIFR) and together with the 13 ATPL exams, it will unlock the frozen ATPL (CPL with ATPL exams written).

1) I do
2) That's the next step I'm in Romania
3) This will be the next step. Right now I'm in a bit of a no man's land due to personal relationship unknown and I want to work it out (which will make a huge difference if I will stay in Canada where I can get a FO job for Air Canada, etc, or if I will need to return to Europe).
4) Same school as #3

Messerschmitt
18th Oct 2023, 20:58
Where do you get the crap pay from?

Wizz Air Romania FO starts at only 1000 euros... I am not familiar with regular airlines (KLM/Air France/LOT/TAROM/Swizz Air, etc) in Europe, but in Canada, the lowest is $50-65k CAD which is roughly 35-45k Euros or 3000+/month.
And looking at pilot centre website, other countries where Wizz Air operates (Austria, Bulgaria, Italy, etc) are still pretty much the same amount.

https://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/jobs/Wizz_Air

paco
19th Oct 2023, 06:48
You only require an ICAO PPL to start a modular theoretical knowledge course. A Canadian CPL certainly counts for that. Maybe they are thinking about flying but I think they are wrong on that as well. I flew some skill tests on my Canadian Licence (using it as a PPL) in the UK before BREXIT. Another thing that they often get wrong is that you must do all the exams first. You can actually train while you study - you just can't take the skill test until you have finished them.

Airgus
19th Oct 2023, 11:02
As mentioned before with any ICAO licence and yours is already a CPL you can start your EASA theory.
Which path you pick afterwards is up to you. Rudestuff always post good tips for ICAO FAA holders, dig more information about it in Pprune.
CAAwise, a lot of pilots pick AustroComtrol for being efficient.
In regards to PPLconversion it should be simpler than 4 subjects, you can get more info here
CONVERT TO EASA PPL (https://www.euflying.com/conversion)