PDA

View Full Version : GAL 56 testing near Penrith 1948?

treadigraph
12th Oct 2023, 13:43
Long shot, but does anyone know if the GAL 56 tailless glider was ever tested anywhere in the Penrith area circa 1948. Friend's relative is quite certain that it's what he saw as a child, flying low enough to see the pilot over Helton a few miles SW of Penrith. The first had crashed near Lasham in early '48 killing Robert Kronfeld, the two remaining transferred to the Airborne Forces Experimental Establishment at Beaulieu. The GAL 56 fits his memory well...Given Winkle Brown's frank assessment of it's very poor handling, I can't see it being towed anywhere for any length of time! Only possibility I can think of is it was on tow to somewhere like West Freugh and had to release.

He's quite sure it wasn't the AW 52 which was certainly active around then and I can't think of any other suitable candidates.

So if anybody has any ideas at all, he'd be most grateful!

chevvron
13th Oct 2023, 11:25
According to Wiki, the GAL56 spent much of its time in the vicinity of Dunholme Lodge and Wittering (where they were also testing the Me163) prior to transfer to AFEE which woud take it even further south. What it did at AFEE is not recorded
There is no record of it going further north and reading about it, I doubt if any test pilot would want to operate it over such inhospitable countryside.
As far as I am aware, RAE West Freugh didn't open as an R & D airfield until 1957 having been on C & M for several years before that.

NutLoose
13th Oct 2023, 12:26
There is no record of it going further north and reading about it, I doubt if any test pilot would want to operate it over such inhospitable countryside.

Hang on, I come from up there... Grrrrr

chevvron
13th Oct 2023, 13:39
Hang on, I come from up there... Grrrrr
You have my sympathy. I once flew from Edinburgh to Strathallan and I wouldn't do it again on one engine let alone in a glider at low level.

treadigraph
26th Oct 2023, 18:25
Thanks for the comment folks; I suspect Mel's memories will remain unconfirmed one way or the other, but maybe in the fullness of time an suggestion gallop out of the mist!

Cheers,

Treadders