PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Hire In Cairns

skiddy
2nd Sep 2002, 09:13
I am looking to hire a Piper Archer / Arrow during my visit to Australia in November. I will be visiting Cairns, Darwin and Ayers Rock during my visit. I am hoping to hire an aircraft for a few hours with a safety pilot / instructor as I would like to log the hours as P1. Can anyone recommend a flying school that may be able to accomodate me in Cairns ?

Mainframe
2nd Sep 2002, 09:29
Skiddy try the following link for the Aero Club in Cairns
nqaeroclub.com.au (http://www.nqaeroclub.com.au)
or email them at [email protected] or maybe try Cape York Airlines capeyorkair.com.au (www.capeyorkair.com.au) You can have your licence validated at Cairns Airport, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority ( CASA or the Gestapo) there is an office near the Domestic terminal. Bring your licence, logbook and medical certificate

5 Left & Right
2nd Sep 2002, 10:48
The North QLD Aero club has Cessna's 152, 172, 172RG (and instructors) for hire . They used to have a PA28 but not sure now. The links provided by Mainframe should get you going in the right direction.

skiddy
21st Oct 2002, 08:23
Thanks for all of the info supplied I have contacted the aero club and I will be booking a C172 for a few hours during my visit to Cairns. I will post a message after my trip on how things went.

Once a gain thanks for all of your help. :D

compressor stall
21st Oct 2002, 08:47
If you want a heads up on where to fly and what to see in FNQ, drop me a line, and I can send you some suggestions.

CS

skiddy
21st Oct 2002, 08:57
All suggestions would be good. I have asked to have an instructor for the hire period in order for him to show me some of the sights, but if you have any experience of what would be good sights to see I can ask to see them specifically. I am looking to hire the aircraft for 2-3 hours. Do you think this will be long enough ?

MLS-12D
22nd Oct 2002, 22:32
I have flown in several parts of Australia. There is some wonderful scenery and great weather (in August and Sept, anyway). You will have an excellent time, do it!

No offence, but: if you take along a safety pilot / instructor (not saying that is a bad idea), how are you going to be able to log P1? Aren't they the pilot in command?

compressor stall
23rd Oct 2002, 10:14
The Undara lava tubes SW of Cairns are worth an overnight trip. A huge 1300m grass runway (watch the roos at the 13 threshold early in the morning), get accommodation in the old train carriages, do the half day tour (A must) and get completely pissed in the bar during the evening. And hassle the barstaff for the pianola rolls which are above the bar....

Just watch the kookaburras when you are eating lunch....And the bush breakfast is excellent too.

If you want island resort overnights, then there is Dunk Island to the south, which is affordable.

Lizard to the north (130odd miles) is spectacular, but at $800 a night...... If you want to go on a daytrip, remember its $165 landing fee.

Definitely do the Daintree, Cow bay and Cape Trib, then head out to the outer reef. Can be incorporated into one of the above.

skiddy
24th Oct 2002, 14:31
C172 booked for approx 3 hours. The NQAero club have been very helpful so far. It looks as if the overnight stay is out of the question though. I am only in Australia for 11 nights so although I would like to be flying for hours upon end I have to spend some time trying to see other "sights". I will let you all know how things went upon my return in December (if you are at all interested). The point made about logging the hours of P1 is not too much of a problem as long as I can fly during my break. I don't know if the hours could be logged as P1S which I thaught ment P1 but under supervision. The only reason that I requested a second pilot was to make the radio calls and ensure that I do not infringe controlled airspace !!! But hey the fun is in the experience of flying and not only logging the hours as P1.

compressor stall
28th Oct 2002, 10:44
More info on Undara here (http://www.undara.com.au)