PDA

View Full Version : Renters (non-owned) Insurance in Australia?

NickD273
10th Oct 2023, 03:03
I started off flying under RA Aus and have more recently been flying GA aircraft which I rent from the local flight school.

I was recently thinking about insurance as I know the RA membership comes with insurance but then what is the deal with GA insurance? It has never come up in my training or renting GA aircraft...

My understanding is that the aircraft owner has insurance but would they come after a renter for compensation if there was a claim as a result of a renter flying the plane? Non-owned aircraft insurance seems to be popular in the US but doesn't seem so here.

Just wondering if anyone actually takes out non-owned aircraft insurance in Australia or if anybody has any experience with insurance claims on an aircrafts insurance policy as a renter?

Cheers

Squawk7700
10th Oct 2023, 04:36
I would check the rental policies of your flying school for how much you’re up for right now. My local school has a $15k excess for renters.

Clare Prop
10th Oct 2023, 13:28
Commonly it will be as "Pilots as approved by xyz" xyz being the insured party and that approval would be subject to a check ride.
Companies that cross hire would be "Named users" on the policy.

Different places will have different requirements; some want higher excess, three monthly checkrides etc, it's up to them and what their broker has negotiated with the underwriter on their behalf, taking claims history into account.