PDA

View Full Version : 655 Sqn NI Gazelle Swansong announced

NutLoose
8th Oct 2023, 19:40
Dates announced, but no info re the tour before they arrive at Fleetlands for disposal.

See

https://www.scramble.nl/military-news/aac-665-squadron-swan-song

Alan Biles
9th Oct 2023, 07:51
It'll be a shame to see them go but the type hasn't done badly; the OSD has been moving to the right for the past 20 years.

ericferret
9th Oct 2023, 08:48
It'll be a shame to see them go but the type hasn't done badly; the OSD has been moving to the right for the past 20 years.

Gazelle was just into army service when I joined my first squadron in 1975, goes into retirement 5 months after me.
Both of us having spent a lifetime in aviation.
I suspect they have worn better than I have.
Wonder what their final life expectancy will be, there are over 40 ex military Gazelles on the civil register.
Probably longer than mine.

Hughes500
9th Oct 2023, 13:05
Shame a really good aircraft, taught me to fly in the1980's and so much better than its replacement also retired the EC 120

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
9th Oct 2023, 16:12
Shame a really good aircraft, taught me to fly in the1980's and so much better than its replacement also retired the EC 120

Likewise, great aircraft, easy to fly and felt like a sports car at low level. The REME blokes liked it too as almost everything was accessible. Never flew the EC120 but the feedback I got from people who did echoes your judgement.

NEO

David Thompson
9th Oct 2023, 22:15
I've read tonight that the planned flypast has been pushed back a week due to the poor weather forecast ?
Confirmation appreciated if possible as I was going to watch them fly through Dishforth ?

NutLoose
10th Oct 2023, 00:27
I couldn’t find anything about the route.

10th Oct 2023, 06:42
Will be interesting to see when they go up for sale

Medevac999
10th Oct 2023, 07:43
I couldn’t find anything about the route.
It has been posted on the AACV site on Facebook

SilsoeSid
10th Oct 2023, 08:19
From the Barton page...

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/720x960/img_5409_92f79a05c153f4104c91cec5704ad5059e88ab40.jpg

Due to weather, word is now delayed until Monday (16th).

ericferret
10th Oct 2023, 09:08
Gazelle was just into army service when I joined my first squadron in 1975, goes into retirement 5 months after me.
Both of us having spent a lifetime in aviation.
I suspect they have worn better than I have.
Wonder what their final life expectancy will be, there are over 40 ex military Gazelles on the civil register.
Probably longer than mine.

Looking at G-INFO it reveals that one of our squadron Gazelles from 1975 is still flying G-CGJX, XW892.
Also still flying G-CIEY XW851. This was a demonstration and trials squadron aircraft.
This aircraft sticks in my mind as we found a serious defect with the cyclic flying controls in 1976 while on a major inspection.
This was probably the true cause of the fatal accident to XW850 in 1973 which was attributed to jack stall.

sycamore
10th Oct 2023, 13:17
Feb.16,1971,birthday present,CEV Bretigny,SA-341-01,F-ZWRH,Check-out,by Cptne de Charre,Castres,ALAT...and over the next few days,we explored the `envelope`.Over the next few weeks we flew other development `Gazelles`,-002-ZWRA,ZWRL-02,ZWRK-04,even height climbs to FL200/6000M.(French civil certification rqmts).Then at B-Down we got XW276/03 to continue flight testing,although the aircraft was not production standard,it was useful for the `basic stuff,load-lifting,winching,radios,etc,until I had a transmission failure in the hover,fortunately,which delayed our progress`at home`.,but plenty of trips to Marignane to fly the different updates to the rotor-head,fenestron blades,fuselage re-jig of tailboom,..I was posted to Bedford in `72,then in `73 we got XW845/852 fo MADGE TAC Trials ..
Back to B-D `75,and more Gazelles to play with`842-846,849,851,853,866,905,xx370,434; Then we did icing/snow/freezing rain/skis in March`76 in Ottawa...Spent most of it `in manual`,measuring control forces in really `crappy `weather..Last flight in a Gazelle 23/12/`76,for fun..
...A `great helicopter`that I enjoyed flying over 380 hrs;you really did `wear` the Gazelle,and could see the world from different `angles`,some inadvertently/inconvenient,but as long as you had your`dancing shoes on`,it was great `fun...
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/640x522/icing_2_1bb9907b8d1aafd71884a14ec33e78c9a7a42ade.jpg
Here`s `846 in Ottawa,looking more like an `iced lolly` than a KFC Chicken leg``

ShyTorque
11th Oct 2023, 08:26
If I were in the market for a personal helicopter, it would have to be a Gazelle.

I trained on the Whirlwind 10, the Wessex and flew the good old Puma for my first tour. On being posted kicking and screaming to instruct at Shawbury, I found the Gazelle relatively delightful to fly. However after only a year on 1 Sqn the RAF in its “wisdom” / “exigences of the service” decided I was desperately needed back to instruct on the Puma OCU and all that entailed.

Still regret having to leave!

NutLoose
11th Oct 2023, 09:43
Here you go, 204 plus pages of Gazelles.

Shrieking Gazelles - Aviafora (http://aviafora.com/forums/forum/helicopter-fora/gazelles/343-shrieking-gazelles)

David Thompson
11th Oct 2023, 21:39
Details have been released confirming the flypast next week commencing on Monday 16th with locations and timings remaining the same as already published .
Barton Aerodrome Facebook page has gen on its part in the flypast including the serial numbers of the Gazelles taking part .

NIREP reader
12th Oct 2023, 05:46
If you didn't know. I'm told by an insider that Middle Wallop ceases flying the Gazelle on 31st Oct. Employees are there until Mar 24 to wind the operation down before re-employment or not.

David Thompson
16th Oct 2023, 08:11
Can anyone confirm if this flypast is still due to take place today ? Thank you .

Brewster Buffalo
16th Oct 2023, 09:38
Can anyone confirm if this flypast is still due to take place today ? Thank you .
Barton's facebook page says it's visit is cancelled...no reason given....

David Thompson
16th Oct 2023, 09:52
Barton's facebook page says it's visit is cancelled...no reason given....
Thank you Brewster Buffalo .

SilsoeSid
16th Oct 2023, 21:36
I'd like to think postponed rather than cancelled, unless of course the service end date has changed.

Is there is an official source for info on the Gazelle's Swan-song flight(s)? Barton Aerodrome Spotters (that's what they call themselves) https://www.facebook.com/groups/414142619050649/?mibextid=oMANbw seems to be the only source trying to keep all updated at the mo.

Hoping to see them depart from one of the stop offs, rather than just see a flyover, so any updates or official sources would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks 🙏🏼

Training Risky
17th Oct 2023, 07:22
How I wish I had been able to do BFT on the Gazelle rather than the Squirrel! Don't get me wrong, the AS350 had its good points, but the Gazelle always appeared more robust. I was lucky enough to witness the mass Wessex swansong at Shawbs in 2001, another one I wish I had flown.

17th Oct 2023, 09:21
Still current on both :E:ok:

NutLoose
17th Oct 2023, 11:45
How I wish I had been able to do BFT on the Gazelle rather than the Squirrel! Don't get me wrong, the AS350 had its good points, but the Gazelle always appeared more robust. I was lucky enough to witness the mass Wessex swansong at Shawbs in 2001, another one I wish I had flown.

And I the mass Wessex Swansong as 72 departed Odiham.

SilsoeSid
17th Oct 2023, 20:40
Moments that never made it to a Line Book:

On an EWI course at Wallop when the topic of a potential cushy posting came up...

"I'm the only qualified gazelle pilot available for the post so its a dead cert I get it" one of the course was heard to confidently say in front of the other course members, who all happened to be pie eating Lynx jockeys, many of whom were looking for postings at the time.

"You're forgetting that we are all qualified Gazelle pilots, it's just that we happen to be uncurrent at the moment" I replied.

I think he was posted to a Lynx squadron after the course :D

9BIT
18th Oct 2023, 10:53
What ever happened to the H-135s earmarked to replace the Gazelles on 655 Sqn?

Mil-26Man
18th Oct 2023, 13:03
What ever happened to the H-135s earmarked to replace the Gazelles on 655 Sqn?

Put into storage and currently awaiting resale.

oldbeefer
18th Oct 2023, 13:31
Can't believe you haven't retired yet - you must be younger than you look!!

Thud_and_Blunder
18th Oct 2023, 17:26
oldbeef:

to quote Messrs Python - "vicious, but fair..." ;)

20th Oct 2023, 15:09
Oldbeefer - It's just that my version of retirement just means not working - flying is too much fun to give up :):ok:

David Thompson
20th Oct 2023, 21:20
The postponed flypast has now been rescheduled for Monday 23 October but will stay on the west side of the country between departing Aldergrove at 10:00 and arrival at Fleetlands at 15:45 .
I have a photo of the route and timings if anyone can post it for me ?

sfm818
20th Oct 2023, 21:29
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x1065/screenshot_2023_10_20_23_38_00_118_3e68273a9d7c94515520f3aa8 295748e321df88c.jpeg

ericferret
20th Oct 2023, 22:25
Looking at G-INFO it reveals that one of our squadron Gazelles from 1975 is still flying G-CGJX, XW892.
Also still flying G-CIEY XW851. This was a demonstration and trials squadron aircraft.
This aircraft sticks in my mind as we found a serious defect with the cyclic flying controls in 1976 while on a major inspection.
This was probably the true cause of the fatal accident to XW850 in 1973 which was attributed to jack stall.

Hi 76fan

Apologies for delay in replying to your P.M. I have now responded.

ericferret

212man
21st Oct 2023, 00:09

Searching finds references to a wiring fault, connected to the anti-coll?

NIREP reader
21st Oct 2023, 06:20
On a side note. Middle Wallop got rid of 2 of their GZ's last week to fleetlands and the final 2 go next week.

ericferret
21st Oct 2023, 10:49
Searching finds references to a wiring fault, connected to the anti-coll?

Below are some details
The only documents I saw was a signal (1976) sent to all units asking for a check of the cyclic stick and it's friction plus I saw the accident report in about 1981.
During the major of XW851 (1976) we were incorporating the hydraulic accumulator modification which I believe was to combat jack stall and was related to the crash of XW850.

I wrote this up at length in AVIAFORA.
Someone recently posted a photo of XW850 post accident I had never seen it before.

http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum...=1697837079675 (http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum/helicopter-fora/gazelles/343-shrieking-gazelles/page202?_=1697837079675)

This is what I attached to the recent post numbered 6045 in Aviafora which includes the photograph. Dated 01/09/2023

"Go to posts 5271, 5260, 5263. I wrote a long piece on this accident.
The accident report at Aviation safety network is wrong as there was at least one fatality.
I think the wiring fault is a confusion with another incident in which the strobe light wiring was causing electrical interference to the hydraulic system causing the hydraulics to cycle on and off.
I think there was an earlier post on this issue as well."

50 years ago and this one still bugs me.

As an addition while investigating the hydraulics cutting in and out the pilot involved was sitting in a aircraft with an investigator and was asked at what frequency the hydraulics were cycling at.
Another aircraft was running nearby with it's strobe on. He said at that frequency pointing to the strobe.
The wiring for the strobe had been routed close to the hydraulic system wiring and was inducing a current affecting the system.

NutLoose
21st Oct 2023, 12:38
Damn, was just going to post the updated route, I have posted it in the Military aircrew forum, thanks to David for sending it over.

Brewster Buffalo
23rd Oct 2023, 13:01
Gazelles leaving Barton a little earlier today

Gazelle Retirement Departure

gsa
26th Oct 2023, 13:02
The Last Gazelle out of the province left this morning, due to leave Barton at 14:00 route south unknown.

sycamore
26th Oct 2023, 13:23
ZB690,presently 15 N of Strawberry.....

onehunglow
27th Oct 2023, 08:54
Great machine. Fitted like a glove !
Preferred the '80's Army version; no stab, no nav aids......and that BAOR exercise auth; 'not above 150ft'

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
27th Oct 2023, 13:19
Great machine. Fitted like a glove !
Preferred the '80's Army version; no stab, no nav aids......and that BAOR exercise auth; 'not above 150ft'

Likewise ! Can't remember the name of the low flying gap between Soest and "Wetmold" ? Taking Rambo (GOC 3 Div) from Soest to Ramstein with massive cool boxes in the boot for the Commissary steaks, great times. All fully auto pilot........... not. Easiest aircraft to start and fly.

NEO

29th Oct 2023, 20:59
Please tell me he didn't really say '"You can hear the APU starting".........on the Barton video.

sycamore
29th Oct 2023, 23:13
He did...!

onehunglow
30th Oct 2023, 09:07
Mention of 'apu' reminded me of the day, long ago, when in BAOR during a 'bug out', I ran over to my cab where my crewman was already waiting in the LHS. I already had my helmet on (for some reason I hadn't left it in the cab) . I leapt in and while strapping in with my right hand, reached up to do the 'full and free' on the throttle.
What I hadn't spotted or heard was that the crewman without my knowledge had already started the engine and it was sitting at ground idle.......................

The engine made an 'interesting' noise as I attempted to 'full and free' it to max chat (against the rotor brake ) in about 2 seconds.

Thud_and_Blunder
30th Oct 2023, 11:27
Perhaps he wasn't so far from the truth - didn't the Astazou start life as the APU for Concorde?

212man
30th Oct 2023, 17:27
Please tell me he didn't really say '"You can hear the APU starting".........on the Barton video.
He did, but maybe because there were no anti-colls turned on he assumed it could not be the main engines.......

212man
30th Oct 2023, 17:29
Perhaps he wasn't so far from the truth - didn't the Astazou start life as the APU for Concorde?
No, it was a turboprop for light FW. Actually, trivia quote, the Concorde didn't have an APU - ground Air Start only!

ShyTorque
30th Oct 2023, 18:03
Mention of 'apu' reminded me of the day, long ago, when in BAOR during a 'bug out', I ran over to my cab where my crewman was already waiting in the LHS. I already had my helmet on (for some reason I hadn't left it in the cab) . I leapt in and while strapping in with my right hand, reached up to do the 'full and free' on the throttle.
What I hadn't spotted or heard was that the crewman without my knowledge had already started the engine and it was sitting at ground idle.......................

The engine made an 'interesting' noise as I attempted to 'full and free' it to max chat (against the rotor brake ) in about 2 seconds.

I was once nearly killed by a rather ancient fixed wing Group Captain on his first air experience flight in a Whirlwind 10. He had flown all sorts of fixed wing, apparently including the Mosquito. After climbing up and strapping in during a running change in dispersal at Shawbury, he was told to check that he could reach all the controls by the QHI in the left seat. Instead of just “reaching”, he did a “full and free movement” check! I was outside, on intercom, waiting to remove the chock, place it inside and close the cabin door. As he gave it full “rudder” each way I was hit in the back by the aircraft. Having yawed right then left, the Whirlwind rocked from one wheel to the other before the QHI got the old Gp Capt under control. I ran and kept going! :eek:

sycamore
30th Oct 2023, 19:09
Had that with an RN stude,doing his `Downwind checks`..AT NIGHT...

ericferret
30th Oct 2023, 19:24

I think you had more luck than a marine pilot who did the same at Sydenham. The aircraft ended up on it's side.
However this lead to one of the cleverest modifications I ever saw.
A simple bent piece of rod that bolted into the rotorbrake handle. Brake on, the rod prevented the throttle from moving forward. Brake off, the rod moved clear and the throttle was free to be advanced.
Dead cheap, pure genius.

N707ZS
30th Oct 2023, 19:41
How long did it take to get that certified?

ericferret
30th Oct 2023, 20:39
How long did it take to get that certified?

Military modification so probably a few weeks.,

31st Oct 2023, 08:20
Military modification so probably a few weeks., And £100,000 to get Boscombe Down to sign it off....:)​​​​​​​

Thud_and_Blunder
31st Oct 2023, 12:53
No, it was a turboprop for light FW. Actually, trivia quote, the Concorde didn't have an APU - ground Air Start only!
Thanks, 212 - was aware of the Pucara and original Jetstream T1 engine fits, but just believed what I was told in error. My bad; not the first time I've done that and not checked my sources :=​​​​​​​

onehunglow
31st Oct 2023, 16:10
Can I tell another Gaz story..........

1983, over Belfast. We would hover for ages at 2000ft with the 'Muppet' (Int and Security) in the LHS doing his stuff. When it was time to refuel the City 2 cab would lift off from Palace and pop up along side. Cue the City 1 cab to drop off back to Palace. Months of this repetitious constant hovering ended up with 'a little game' at handover. The departing cab would do a nose down from the hover. Over the weeks the nose down record slowly crept up; 70 degrees, 80, 90, 100, 110.........

On this particular day the City 1 cab went straight on task over Belfast having transited from Aldergove with a Muppet from Book. So the days rations were secured on the back seat; strong cardboard box, the top flaps taped down, secured in the seat belts. Unbeknown to the City 1 cab driver just under the top flaps of the rations box was a tray of 24 eggs.

At cab changeover the nose down challenge was getting heated. 110 degrees was now the standard. So 120 degrees it had to be.

As the cab was nosed smartly down from the 2k hover, at 120 degrees on the AI ,the front canopy gave the resemblance of smashing as 24 raw eggs flashed by the pilots helmet from the back seat and deposited themselves across the perspex.

A messy descent into Palace barracks was immediately followed up by the most intense and gooey 1 hour clean up operation, to get the cab ready to be airborne again, before any inquisitive engineering type came over to see what the pilot was doing. Several large rolls of blue paper were called into service. The cab then headed back up on stand by, none the worse for the idiot pilots omelette action.

That cab did have an odd smell for a few weeks after though.

ericferret
31st Oct 2023, 17:13

1983, over Belfast. We would hover for ages at 2000ft with the 'Muppet' (Int and Security) in the LHS doing his stuff. When it was time to refuel the City 2 cab would lift off from Palace and pop up along side. Cue the City 1 cab to drop off back to Palace. Months of this repetitious constant hovering ended up with 'a little game' at handover. The departing cab would do a nose down from the hover. Over the weeks the nose down record slowly crept up; 70 degrees, 80, 90, 100, 110.........

On this particular day the City 1 cab went straight on task over Belfast having transited from Aldergove with a Muppet from Book. So the days rations were secured on the back seat; strong cardboard box, the top flaps taped down, secured in the seat belts. Unbeknown to the City 1 cab driver just under the top flaps of the rations box was a tray of 24 eggs.

At cab changeover the nose down challenge was getting heated. 110 degrees was now the standard. So 120 degrees it had to be.

As the cab was nosed smartly down from the 2k hover, at 120 degrees on the AI ,the front canopy gave the resemblance of smashing as 24 raw eggs flashed by the pilots helmet from the back seat and deposited themselves across the perspex.

A messy descent into Palace barracks was immediately followed up by the most intense and gooey 1 hour clean up operation, to get the cab ready to be airborne again, before any inquisitive engineering type came over to see what the pilot was doing. Several large rolls of blue paper were called into service. The cab then headed back up on stand by, none the worse for the idiot pilots omelette action.

Some Gazelles did have an odd odour at times.
On hot summer at Soest an aircraft came into land and we were advised that it would land on the wash down and would we attend.
The pilot a paratroop colour sergeant no longer with us climbed out and stripped to his underpants.
We hosed him down to remove the stomach contents of a backseater who had thrown up all over him and the aircraft.
Then the aircraft, not pleasant.

Not many men can still look "wary" dressed only in their underpants and carrying a pair of flying boots.
Thats the Para's for you.

ShyTorque
31st Oct 2023, 19:00

That’s what happens when pilots egg each other on….

Attila
2nd Nov 2023, 14:07
I attended No 7 Gazelle Conversion Course, 11 November 1974 - 13 December 1974 and David Ryall was my instructor. I next saw him some years later in British International when he was, I believe, flying the Chinook.

On February 4th, 1975, I had to do a Gazelle Currency check, having gone back to the Sioux straight after the Gazelle conversion, before collecting the first Royal Marine Gazelle, XX 381, from Wroughton and taking it to Plymouth.

I have heard from one of my sons that XX 381 is now a Gate Guardian somewhere in UK.

I only flew 235 hours on the Gazelle before resigning my Non-Commision in May 1976 and joining the Omani Air Force for 3 years, but what a lovely machine, thoroughly enjoyed flying it after 1000 hours or so on the mighty Sioux. It wasn’t too much fun, though, doing night deck landings on a black night, without stabilisation, while crossing the Atlantic for an exercise in the good old US of A.

Hey Ho, Happy Days!! 😉😉👍👍

ShyTorque
2nd Nov 2023, 20:07
Another Gazelle story. During a “mutual” sortie with my RN stick buddy on the CFSH course, with me as the yet to be qualified instructor, I gave control to my”student” to practice something or other (I can’t remember what it was). Neither of us had previously flown the Gazelle. He’d previously earned a bit of a reputation for “spirited” flying so it was nothing unusual to see the nose go very high.

However, when the nose high suddenly when to almost 90 degrees and still increasing (!) I looked across to see what the heck he was doing and to tell him to behave. As I did so, I realised he was looking across at me, with a similar quizzical expression. Both of us saw that neither of us actually had our hands on the controls! We both grabbed them at the same time and both thankfully decided on the same recovery, which was essentially an untidy roll off the top!

We both learned about handing over and taking over control from that…. 🙃

handysnaks
2nd Nov 2023, 22:34
before collecting the first Royal Marine Gazelle, XX 381, from Wroughton and taking it to Plymouth.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x901/img_2508_8663aab9e2e48d9ae72fc8f8ac3341ee91324293.jpeg
Can’t do 381, but here’s it’s very slightly younger brother.
o

ericferret
3rd Nov 2023, 10:46
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x901/img_2508_8663aab9e2e48d9ae72fc8f8ac3341ee91324293.jpeg
Can’t do 381, but here’s it’s very slightly younger brother.
o

I get the feeling that the Gazelle like "that rifle" (S.L.R) is entering into military folklore. Capable of feats denied to lesser helicopters, only flown by steely eyed airborne warriors and much loved by all involved with it.

trim it out
3rd Nov 2023, 18:33
I get the feeling that the Gazelle like "that rifle" (S.L.R) is entering into military folklore. Capable of feats denied to lesser helicopters, only flown by steely eyed airborne warriors and much loved by all involved with it.
It's already there. You should see the shock on the youth's face when you talk about floppy sticks and flying by looking out the window.

212man
3rd Nov 2023, 20:44
It's already there. You should see the shock on the youth's face when you talk about floppy sticks and flying by looking out the window.

Reminds me of line training fresh out the box co-pilots intent on staring at the PFD during take offs. I’d cover the screen with the single sheet checklist and say “that line there is the artificial horizon, that big line out the window is the real horizon - use it”

SilsoeSid
3rd Nov 2023, 22:17
or by winding on the cyclic friction and, although pitch was a bit of a gentle art, flying by leaning :-)