PDA

View Full Version : Day off definition

deja vu
6th Oct 2023, 10:14
I may have asked this question before but I am trying to establish what CASA considers to be a day off or 2 consecutive days off .

I know that many Australian carriers have negotiated their own Flight time limitations with their pilot group but I am trying to establish what the CARs(ANOs) say as a base.
For example my last employer defined a day off as a period of 32 hours embracing the hours of 10pm on the day before and 6 am on the day after, a double day off was 56 hours embracing the same times.

bobsyouraunt
6th Oct 2023, 10:28
Air Pilots Award 2020

Para 15.8 (d)
An employee will not be rostered for a tour of duty terminating after 2200 hours on the day preceding the rostered day or days free of duty and will not be rostered to commence duty prior to 0600 hours on the day following the day or days free of duty.

framer
6th Oct 2023, 10:53
I suspect that if there was a definition, then individual companies wouldn’t have been forced by their pilot groups to agree to their own definition.
I remember trying to get a definition through a vote a long time ago and it was a big deal. I can’t remember anyone saying “ the regulations state a day off is X but we think it should be Y”
Someone else might know better.

missy
6th Oct 2023, 12:32
FWIW, Civil ATCs (Airservices) have two rules relating to Days (Time) Off.

ATC Enterprise Agreement defines "One clear day off” as a minimum of thirty (30) hours including twenty- four (24) hours time off duty commencing at midnight.
ATC Fatigue Rules dictate that "blocks of shifts" must be separated by a minimum of 35 hours including a 24 hour period commencing at midnight

Stationair8
6th Oct 2023, 21:39
Should also include in the definition not answering company emails!

Young blokes seem to be permanently attached to company emails.

Day off- phone off.

donpizmeov
7th Oct 2023, 00:26
Air Pilots Award 2020

Para 15.8 (d)
An employee will not be rostered for a tour of duty terminating after 2200 hours on the day preceding the rostered day or days free of duty and will not be rostered to commence duty prior to 0600 hours on the day following the day or days free of duty.

Although this definition is part of FAR and EU regulations, the Australian regulator knows better, and does not use this definition. It just requires 36hrs free of duty.

deja vu
8th Oct 2023, 12:11
Thanks for the responses. I tried to track down the FTLs through the CAOs but it seems most operators have defined their own rules through an EBA system.

One multi crew jet operator is rostering crews from 0001hours on Standby following a rostered day off, not something I could imagine the pilot group involved would have forced on the operator. Off course the crew members involved in this would need to be in bed around 1600 on their day off to be sufficiently rested for a 0001 call out. Would CASA have approved such a thing I wonder.

missy
8th Oct 2023, 14:02
I should've added, Civil ATCs (Airservices) have a rule that no rostered shift will commence or cease between the hours of 0001 and 0459 local time. Cheers.

donpizmeov
10th Oct 2023, 06:34
Thanks for the responses. I tried to track down the FTLs through the CAOs but it seems most operators have defined their own rules through an EBA system.

One multi crew jet operator is rostering crews from 0001hours on Standby following a rostered day off, not something I could imagine the pilot group involved would have forced on the operator. Off course the crew members involved in this would need to be in bed around 1600 on their day off to be sufficiently rested for a 0001 call out. Would CASA have approved such a thing I wonder.

Unfortunately if the 36hr off rule in 7 days is met CASA don't care.
Third World nations have better regulators and rules.