PDA

View Full Version : Socata TBM-700 engine cover opens on take off at Birmingham BHX/EGBB

AeroAmigo
3rd Oct 2023, 13:53
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z3UHAslpvU

This Socata TBM-700 is seen taking off from Birmingham Airport (BHX/EGBB) and during the departure it can be seen that some kind of door or cover breaks open or wasn't latched properly. Interesting watching.

I'd noticed the nose goes down almost immediately as the door/cover opens, either to try and land back on the same runway before realising they're out of tarmac, or perhaps an attempt to force the cover down/closed?

I personally thought the circuit was flown fantastically well considering the pilots view must have been hindered by the huge panel constantly moving around and getting in their line of sight. I also thought the response time of the airport fire service was excellent. ~3 minutes between the aircraft taking off, noticing the problem and them all being lined up outside the sheds with lights on ready to respond. It could've gone seriously wrong for a plethora of reasons, but thankfully didn't.

Hats off to all involved!

DaveReidUK
3rd Oct 2023, 18:29
2004-built TBM-700.

I'd guess that whoever last did any work on the engine is feeling a bit of a pratt. :O

megan
4th Oct 2023, 01:06
You sure the pilot wouldn't be feeling a bit of a pratt Dave, pre flight inspection and all that, the last line of defense.

Busbuoy
4th Oct 2023, 04:02
2004-built TBM-700.

I'd guess that whoever last did any work on the engine is feeling a bit of a pratt. :O
Well he won't be feeling a bit of an allison; and which bit of the pratt is he going to feel...being inserted in him.....🤣

Sue Vêtements
6th Oct 2023, 17:42
I have to say, that's one of the best videos I've ever seen - from a technical point of view

The subject was kept solidly in frame - even with with a full zoom. Most people seem to point at the ground right when the money shot happens

Reminds me of the Gulf War and tracking the inbound Scud missiles. I always figured they were using cameramen who normally do the golf tournaments as they were the only ones with the relevant skill set

Shame about the running commentary though

meleagertoo
6th Oct 2023, 20:03
The gormless commentary of the reggie spotter is hilarious!

Capn Bloggs
7th Oct 2023, 01:54
Bit more right rudder there, Hoskins. Then I'll be able to see!